• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2012
    Greenville
    Cool! Will we have a "Rimfire Shooter of the Month"? Maybe a novice class and an "expert" class? And 1 winner from each, "Novice Rimfire Shooter of the Month" (NRSOTM) and "Expert Rimfire Shooter of the Month" (ERSOTM)? (Must compete to be eligible) Then you can add said titles to your sig if you win. Cannot be a winner in both "divisions" in the same month. If you win a month in the novice division, you must move up to the expert class the following month.....maybe? one submission per month so make it count?

Just an opinion.
    Hurley's Gold

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    Here's one of my 200 yard 10-22 Clay Pigeon slayers. Hooked up with a bipod and a Ruger BX25 magazine, you're ready for some serious fun!

Flash

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Think I'll hang with the novice group for a while.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Radioman93

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 10, 2011
    Texas
    I am with you Younggun. I am not even going to bother posting a target until I find ammo that my 10/22 likes and its consistent rather than the shotgun scatter that its shooting right now at 50 yds. I does a nice pattern at 50 yds only about a 3 in spread. But I cant call where the shot is going to go in those 3 inches. And with this months 2 inch targets well, 3 inch spread doesn't cut the mustard.

I have a feeling that my move wasn't kind to the el-cheapo scope that I have on it. I might have to go looking for something else for it. Guess one more try with a few different types of ammo and if there isn't an improvement then its time to try a different optic or see what the spread is at 25 yds and give the tiny iron sights a try. Come to think of it I don't think I have even tried the iron sights on it yet.

Radioman

Tejano Scott

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2011
    The Woodlands
    I am with you Younggun. I am not even going to bother posting a target until I find ammo that my 10/22 likes and its consistent rather than the shotgun scatter that its shooting right now at 50 yds. I does a nice pattern at 50 yds only about a 3 in spread. But I cant call where the shot is going to go in those 3 inches. And with this months 2 inch targets well, 3 inch spread doesn't cut the mustard.

I have a feeling that my move wasn't kind to the el-cheapo scope that I have on it. I might have to go looking for something else for it. Guess one more try with a few different types of ammo and if there isn't an improvement then its time to try a different optic or see what the spread is at 25 yds and give the tiny iron sights a try. Come to think of it I don't think I have even tried the iron sights on it yet.

Radioman

Try it at 25... Also post some of your groups and post some targets, we may be able to notice something you missed. What kind of ammo have you tested with it? I am really looking forward to getting a nice 10/22 one day, even though I know I'm going to give up a little accuracy compared to the Anschutz. This challenge is so much harder than mindlessly shooting groups b/c I find myself chasing my point of aim. That has been my biggest problem. This has been a great challenge for me so far and has self-taught me some valuable shooting lessons.

Radioman93

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 10, 2011
    Texas
    He just absent mindedly throws away his best targets so he can't post them here.

Yeah Yeah I'll go for that as the excuse sure.

Lets see. I need to see if I still have the photo from right after I got the gun and scope put together so I can compare it with what I shot the other day with it. I won a free year membership to an indoor range with a combined scoped 22lr score and a pistol score. So I don't think it shot this bad. That was at 50yds also with pistol at various yardages and strong, weak, two handed variations. I wasn't the best shot that day (or any day) but I was the best that wasn't already a member of the range and not too far from the top. I'll see if the targets I shot last Sunday are still in my bag and if I can find the photo of the previous target.

Ammo has been Federal Champion (I think blueish box) Bulk Pack. I have a box of some Remington Golden BB's Bulk Pack I think is the name on it but I haven't opened that one yet. And if I didnt run the last of it out in my pistol I have a box or partial box of Federal Spitfires somewhere. Have to check all of my ammo cans and see if I used all that up or not. I am thinking I am going to recheck the scope rings and the little rail section that came with the 10/22 for mounting the rings to and make sure its all good n tight but not gorilla tight. Then hit Academy or Gander or somebody and get a smattering of ammo to try. I know my pistol (MKIII 22/45) likes CCI Mini-Mags but I am out of them right now so maybe a box of them, a box of the spitfires if I don't already have some, and another brand of whatever I can find just to see if it might be an ammo thing. I just cleaned it before the last trip to the range and I think when I check the scope rings and stuff I'll go ahead and give it another cleaning.

I would not be surprised if the el-cheapo scope that I have on it took a nasty bounce during my move and has given up the ghost. This is the one rifle that had to make the trip in a soft case so I wouldn't count that out after 1k+ miles in a U-haul.

Radioman

Tejano Scott

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2011
    The Woodlands
    I love that Federal Champion Blue Box 40gr's.... I've bought the expensive Remington-Eley ammo and it can't consistently out shoot the bulk Federal. Ironically when I shoot more expensive ammo like Rem-Eley or Wolf, my POI shifts about a half inch right. The world of rimfire fascinates me so much. Cold bore is as mystifying to me today(if not more) than when I first started shooting that challenge. All the variables that go into shooting a perfect score on a target like that rimfire challenge one are insane when you begin listing them off in your head.

I'm about to spend a little money and buy up a brick or 2 of nicer target ammo like Lapua Center-X, and maybe a box or 2 of the super high dollar stuff like Lapua X-Act or Eley Tenex. I do notice occasional fliers with the Federal, but overall I haven't been able to justify ammo that costs 3 times more. That is, until I quit shooting groups, and started shooting bullseye challenges. I am thinking I will see more of a difference with high quality ammo in these types of challenges vs. shooting groups. I can already consistently shoot 5 shot dimes at 50 yards. Now I just need to learn to put individual shots on different targets within a .01 or .02 margin of error.

Just found this info from Federal's Site about this ammo... My own personal experience is the drop is about 7" at 100 and not 5, but still interesting to see what the manufacturer claims.

http://www.federalpremium.com/products/details/rimfire.aspx?id=54

skinman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2010
    Klein
    My custom 10-22 shoots tight groups with Aquila SE (nasty smokey stuff, but accurate), Aquila Golden Eagle Match, CCI Mini-Mags, and Wolf MT. Federal Champion (blue box) also groups well but it is inconsistent from box-to-box and seems to have the most fliers. Most bulk ammo I have shot (Federal red box, Rem GB, Fed Target, Winchester) does not group well...The best I have shot so far is the Wolf MT...but that stuff hard to find OTC locally. It has earned a very good reputation for being exceptionally accurate in most rifles.

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    Ammo and recent observations. I've been pretty loyal to bulk federal lately for no reason other than price. It runs fine through my rifles and pistols, up to a point.
    Once the powder fouling and other dirty issues set in (maybe 200 rounds, maybe 500, depends on the particular gun) I have issues feeding. This goes all the way down to a Ruger Single Six. A heavy session of shooting just makes re-loading difficult for auto and manual loading alike. Once the issues start, I pull out the reserves. Remington bulk .22lr. Never my 1st choice but always loads when the federals fail to. I have yet to take the micrometer to either but it is obvious to me after multiple 500 round plus trips to the range that the Remington bulk is of a smaller diameter than the Federal.
    Food for thought gentlemen and ladies.

Radioman93

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 10, 2011
    Texas
    Well I may have a winner in the question of what caused my shotgun splatter patterns. I dont think scopes are supposed to rattle.

So looking around I found a sweet little deal on a scope. Thanks TundraWookiee for reminding me about sample list.

I'll give this one thats rattling one more try this weekend but I think that rattle is the issue. And now I have a few different types of ammo to try and see how it responds to different weights and manufactures. Heres what I have to try....

Federal Spitfire 31 gr Copper covered HP 1500fps
    Federal Champion 36 gr Copper plated HP 1280fps
    Remington Golden Bullet 36 gr Brass plated HP 1280fps
    Blazer 40gr (not much info on the box straight LRN by the look of it)
    Winchester Wildcat 22 40gr (lots of stuff on the small box but not much good info, Dangerous to 1.5 miles?!?!)
    Winchester CB-Match 29gr (Not much info other than Dangerous to 1.5 miles)
    CCI Mini-Mag 40gr Copper plated LRN 1235fps

So hopefully one of these will group either before or after my new scope arrives.

Radioman

Top Bottom