• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Old_Inspector

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2011
    Spring, Texas
    If you carry a pistol, carry it with a round in the chamber and full magazine. Carry a revolver with all chambers loaded unless it is a Colt SAA type, which must be carried with the hammer down on an empty chamber. Ruger New Model Blackhawk and Single-Sixes with the transfer bar are also fine with all chambers loaded. Don't carry rifles or shotguns with loaded chambers because you are depending on the safety to protect you. Anything that is in the safe or stored should be unloaded, with an empty chamber. If the rifle or shotgun is store for possible defense use, loaded with an empty chamber is safe and fast to bring into action.
    Just my two cents.
    ARJ Defense ad

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Don't carry rifles or shotguns with loaded chambers because you are depending on the safety to protect you. Anything that is in the safe or stored should be unloaded, with an empty chamber. If the rifle or shotgun is store for possible defense use, loaded with an empty chamber is safe and fast to bring into action.
    Just my two cents.
    Care to expound on that?

avvidclif

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 30, 2017
    Van Zandt County
    Kind of sensitive (for Harley boy hehe)? BTW: When I carry my SAA out on the property I don't carry a round in the chamber as I use a western rig and if the gun drop accidently don't much want to shoot my foot off or one of my dog critters. When I carry a semi-auto, of course there is one in the chamber because I carry for a reason. Well, the horse is dead...

One of them there antique thumbusters? Can't afford a Harley huh? I never had a Harley that leaked and still don't. Just repeating rumors about the pre 91 models IIRC.

Coyote9

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jan 13, 2020
    Granbury Texas
    My take is this...

You should maintain YOUR gun in a manner that is safe and most comfortable for YOU. PERIOD.

All guns not on my person in my home are either loaded or not.

All loaded guns are either readily accessible and hidden, or in my safe at the ready, and have a full magazine and an empty chamber.

I carry striker fire guns with a loaded chamber. I didn’t at first.

In the military, when deployed, unless we were outside the wire, our weapons were all in condition 3 (loaded mags, empty chambers), and we had to stop upon entering the base and clear them at the gate.

My thoughts on carry guns are it is ALL a personal choice. Carry the firearm you are comfortable with, in the condition you are most comfortable with, based on your level of competency and confidence.

Folks who say carrying on an empty chamber is like carrying a brick are wrong, because of several reasons, the most obvious being “you can’t turn a brick into a gun.”

1. The odds of you actually needing your concealed carry are extremely rare.

2. The odds of you needing it immediately, at bad breath distance, are even more rare.

3. The majority of the times you may need your firearm, you will have time to draw it and run the slide and turn your brick into a gun.

4. If you are safe and can operate your carry gun, I’d prefer you carry it in with/on an empty chamber rather than not carrying it at all. Again, if needed, it goes from brick to gun in an instant.

5. If you live or work in a bad area where the odds of you needing to draw your gun are higher than average, I suggest you train hard to get to carrying with a loaded chamber...but only when you are confident and feel safe about it.

yes, there are obviously downsides to an empty chamber. But many folks don’t have the proficiency to draw fast and accurate and engage a threat safely...those people are better to take immediate evasive action like run or hide and draw the gun from a safe place.

There are a thousand scenarios I can think of that will play out on either side of this argument in a thousand different ways due to a bunch of variables. No right answer for any of them...

The more you carry and train with your firearm, the more proficient and confident you will become, and you may get to the point where you choose to carry on a loaded chamber.

Carrying a gun is a personal choice...I don’t worry about what others say, who won’t be responsible for MY actions.

Mohawk600

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Austin
    If you find the story, please start a new thread as I'd love to hear more about this. I've heard all sorts of things about MRI's. I've been in and around several of them and heard all sorts of wild stories. Many things don't seem to add up, so it would be a great thread in my opinion.
    I call BS on the MRI machine disabling guns. I am a radiology student. The only way an MRI machine could disable a gun is if it were energized and sucked the gun out of the holster. BTW....no cop is gonna chase a perp through an MRI suite either......there are no through ways. The machines are in closed rooms.

Mohawk600

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Austin
    Not all hospitals in all states are no gun zones.
    Not all MRIs are in hospitals.
    Some were security guards.
    Some were retired police.
    Some were just citizens.
    One guy had his gun in his boot and the MRI was on his head and he now sings at a much higher octave as the gun came out of the boot up his pants into his....well like Eddie Murphy said, you dont gotta hit nuts. You just gotta graze nuts.

If you Google MRI and guns you will see several stories of guns pulled into machines and going off. The one guy not a cop was actually charged with reckless endangerment.

A couple stories of them not going off and the one story of a guy with a boot gun by a MRI tech on a police forum.

I always take my weapon to the medical office where my MRIs are done but they have lockers outside the suite where you lock everything up.
    If I goto a hospital for one it is one of the rare times I have to leave it in the car. If I'm going to be knocked out, the gun stays home obviously.

Some folks just dont know what the M stands for.

Regardless, if you carry you should research special situations like medical procedures and the facility they happen in.

Regarding magnatized gun or gun parts,

Also I found several instances of magnatized AR firing pins causing malfunctions and a couple mentions of series 80 safety components being disengaged, assuming the firing pin safety being stuck in the "up"position i.e.overcoming the pressure of the return spring pushing the plunger back into safe position. I assume the same thing could happen in early Smith n Wesson autos as their springs on the plunger were light for trigger pull feel.
    Your story doesn't ring true my friend. Before you are anywhere near an operating MRI coil as a patient or a tech..........you must remove all metal. They aren't going to put you on a table with your boots on dude. COMPLETE BS.

Mohawk600

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Austin
    upload_2020-5-13_16-43-18.jpeg

What’s a hipster?
    Here you go....does it fit?

Attachments

• upload_2020-5-13_16-43-18.jpeg
      upload_2020-5-13_16-43-18.jpeg
      8.3 KB · Views: 484

Mohawk600

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Austin
    Let's see, important first step in life or death response when your fine motor skill goes to shit...

Got it, Make the fery fist step in responding and saving you like ss complicated as possible.

No polock jokes now.
    Just hook your thumb in your belt loop and start pulling.......you will get all of them.

Mohawk600

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Austin
    If you carry a pistol, carry it with a round in the chamber and full magazine. Carry a revolver with all chambers loaded unless it is a Colt SAA type, which must be carried with the hammer down on an empty chamber. Ruger New Model Blackhawk and Single-Sixes with the transfer bar are also fine with all chambers loaded. Don't carry rifles or shotguns with loaded chambers because you are depending on the safety to protect you. Anything that is in the safe or stored should be unloaded, with an empty chamber. If the rifle or shotgun is store for possible defense use, loaded with an empty chamber is safe and fast to bring into action.
    Just my two cents.
    OMG....

Mohawk600

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Austin
    I call BS on the MRI machine disabling guns. I am a radiology student. The only way an MRI machine could disable a gun is if it were energized and sucked the gun out of the holster. BTW....no cop is gonna chase a perp through an MRI suite either......there are no through ways. The machines are in closed rooms.
    I also want to add that magnetizing or de-magnetizing a gun wont affect its ability to shoot. Neither will it affect ammo......brass is non magnetic. It cant be induced to fire or explode or implode because of a magnetic field. That whole story is bull hockey.

Top Bottom