• Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Why run when you can just shoot the fucker behind the reason why you’re running. And jogging…well that’s a Richard Simmons thing and I ain’t in to that. I mean if you’re gonna do something, don’t half-ass it and that’s the definition of jogging.

What if your running over to shoot commies?
    Gun Zone Deals

TreyG-20

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Central
    What the hell is going on up in here?

On a side note I've been debating a scout scope versus LPVO for my Marlin SBL all week. It seems I need a combo of the 2 or just a nice lightweight scope with eye relief around 5 inches. Can't find one though that meets the criteria. Leupold use to have one, but not anymore. So I'm currently rocking a red dot.

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas

On a side note I've been debating a scout scope versus LPVO for my Marlin SBL all week. It seems I need a combo of the 2 or just a nice lightweight scope with eye relief around 5 inches. Can't find one though that meets the criteria. Leupold use to have one, but not anymore. So I'm currently rocking a red dot.
    Amazon product ASIN B078XGR9ZZ
    I have one of these and it’s a great scope. Says in stock.

billtool

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    The Wooldlands
    Managing multiple close range targets with a LER scope is exactly where they shine. The market hasn’t exploded with additions as the Scout concept isn’t generally embraced. Precision accuracy had certainly won the day. However, compactness and platform reliability over time will win the day if pressed into long term service. If I was stuck in a bind- I’m going with a .308 scout vs a AR10 all day long. I enjoy shooting the AR10 more- but I have BUIS on mine for a reason. Shorter range shots are made for the Scout platform. An MKV is seriously under ammo’d compared to a 10 round mag.
    Edit…

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    I remember back in the mid 1980's, reading about Jeff Cooper's "scout" rifle concept. Didn't embrace it back then, and surely years later, shooting several rifles based upon his concept, sure haven't swayed me to embracing them years later.

To each their own though. It does seem enough of a viable marketing idea for some gun manufacturers to offer a rifle in such a configuration though.

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas

6h52mi.jpg

billtool

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    The Wooldlands
    Bill, in that shorter range, a red dot gets the job done with saving weight and still giving you a good field of view.
    I’ll sure buy that 100%. I’ve been thinking about putting a good red dot on it. A problem I have is I can’t see crud without magnification. I know it’s getting to be a typical TGT discussion…but this is why I signed up here. hehehehe

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    Managing multiple close range targets with a LER scope is exactly where they shine. The market hasn’t exploded with additions as the Scout concept isn’t generally embraced. Precision accuracy had certainly won the day. However, compactness and platform reliability over time will win the day if pressed into long term service. If I was stuck in a bind- I’m going with a .308 scout vs a AR10 all day long. I enjoy shooting the AR10 more- but I have BUIS on mine for a reason. Shorter range shots are made for the Scout platform. An MKV is seriously under ammo’d compared to a 10 round mag.
    Edit…

the rifle has no bearing on the durability on an optic. A modern optic totally outshines scout scopes. It's not as good as a red dot or low magnification prism up close, and is not as good as an LPVO or other fixed or variable power optic at distance. All the good of the LER scope got turned into the LPVO. Everything else got left behind

In my experience, all the scout scopes are older designs, and they don't hold up well to getting bashed around, dropped, submerged...

There's enough people out there that aren't chasing ultimate precision, trijicon still sells lots of ACOG's, and lots of the 2 and 3 gun guys aren't chasing sub moa groups at several hundred yards...

People have tried scout scopes in competitions, on scout rifles and non scouts, and they always get clubbed like a baby seal

Last edited:

billtool

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    The Wooldlands
    the rifle has no bearing on the durability on an optic. A modern optic totally outshines scout scopes. It's not as good as a red dot or low magnification prism up close, and is not as good as an LPVO or other fixed or variable power optic at distance. All the good of the LER scope got turned into the LPVO. Everything else got left behind

In my experience, all the scout scopes are older designs, and they don't hold up well to getting bashed around, dropped, submerged...

There's enough people out there that aren't chasing ultimate precision, trijicon still sells lots of ACOG's, and lots of the 2 and 3 gun guys aren't chasing sub moa groups at several hundred yards...

People have tried scout scopes in competitions, on scout rifles and non scouts, and they always get clubbed like a baby seal
    The optic isn’t the heart of the concept, but just like any optic, if it fails you chuck it and go old school. I do like an ACOG. Don’t know about LPVO as I’ve never tried one. The Burris 2.75x is as simple and robust as it gets. And I’ll put it up against anything in the market at 300 yards. At least in my hands. Drop it all you want. It’s great glass. Fewer parts- fewer problems. It’s not about competition. It’s about winning over time. I like the ACOG though.

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    The optic isn’t the heart of the concept, but just like any optic, if it fails you chuck it and go old school. I do like an ACOG. Don’t know about LPVO as I’ve never tried one. The Burris 2.75x is as simple and robust as it gets. And I’ll put it up against anything in the market at 300 yards. At least in my hands. Drop it all you want. It’s great glass. Fewer parts- fewer problems. It’s not about competition. It’s about winning over time. I like the ACOG though.
    Try one if you can. They usually have very good field of view, an area where scout scopes are sorely lacking.

Any fixed optic will be simpler and lighter than a variable, there are lots of really great fixed optics out there, both prisms and tubes that will easily last as long, if not longer than any scout optic, with better light transmission, clarity, and better FOV

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    I already used my sling as an improvised tourniquet.

Then you’re in no condition to be running anywhere. Unless you used your sling in somebody else. You should know better than to raid your IFAK for your injured buddy. Raid his first.

Either way this means you’ll still need to whip out the carry handle, take off the optic, attach the carry handle, go out galavanting around, then when it’s time to shoot somebody again, you gotta do the whole switcheroo again and re-zero the optic.

Or just shoot them from farther away or leave some for the rest of us.

Top Bottom