Saw it off?

Discussion in 'Shotguns' started by PWF3, Sep 15, 2008.

1. PWF3

PWF3 New Member

Sep 15, 2008
    Simple question: What would keep me from sawing off my own 12ga Mossberg? Is there any change in the patterning? Most (all) gunsmiths around here won't even consider it. Length is no problem, I'm only wanting to cut off 2" or so. One said that by the time he cut it off and "crowned" it, I would be better off buying a new barrel. What's "crowned" anyway?

2. Vellcrow

Vellcrow Active Member

Aug 8, 2008
    Pflugerville
    What will you be using the shotgun for after it is cut? If for home defense and buckshot, nothing notable will change, even slugs won't be that much different. I have cut many of my HD shotguns and never had them crowned...no issues after doing either.

3. PWF3

PWF3 New Member

Sep 15, 2008
    Thanks Vellcrow, that's what I thought. It would be for Home Defense. How did you cut it off? just in the shop with a hacksaw and lots of TLC?

4. Vellcrow

Vellcrow Active Member

Aug 8, 2008
    Pflugerville
    My first time was with a hacksaw, file and cold blue kit. I have also used a Dremel tool to help cut or clean things up.

Just take your time and make sure you don't take off too much.

5. Floyd_Droid

Floyd_Droid Active Member

Jul 28, 2008
    Shady Shores, TX
    My question is WHY would you want to saw one off??
    Why not sell it and get a Mossberg 500 or a Winchester 1300 defender?

Sawed off shotguns are only good at close range....

BTW isn't there some legalities about how short the barrel can be?

6. hoytinak

hoytinak Active Member

Mar 5, 2008
    Texas of course
    Before you cut it....what lenght barrel you got? If it's the 20" threaded for chokes I've got a 18.5" I'll trade you.

7. Vellcrow

Vellcrow Active Member

Aug 8, 2008
    Pflugerville
    Yes, it must 18" or longer.

8. TexasHK

TexasHK Member

Jul 7, 2008
    Seguin, Tx
    Actually,
    If you're talking a Shotgun...your barrel must be 18.5" and it is best to be a bit conservative on that as you never know the mind on of the officer you may encounter who inspects your weapon.

Rifles can go down to 16" barrels, but just live by the 18.5" shotgun barrel length rule.

9. nalioth

nalioth Active Member

Oct 13, 2008
    Houston Metro
    Federal law states 18".

Lots of folks defer to the "It must be 18.5"." sentiment for safety reasons ( if you cut your barrel at 18", but make a crooked cut, and any part of it is under 18", you're in possession of an unregistered SBS - cutting at 18.5 keeps the 'crooked-cutters' safe ).

10. Texas1911

Texas1911 TGT Addict

May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    LOL, crooked cut on a 12-gauge.

"I don't know why my shotgun kicks to the left so much".