• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mdehoogh

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    DFW
    Do we have a house majority for this? Is this one any different than the other failure? Private schools?

How is allowing private property owners to exercise their private property rights a failure? You and I may not agree with the decision the owners have made but the solution is to spend your money elsewhere and inform them (the owners/schoolboard/dean) of WHY you didn't spend $XX.XX at their university. The solution is NOT to grant the government the power to dictate what people can do with their own property.
    Guns International

RPB

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2009
    Texas
    ummm It's a public school subject to all Texas Education agency regulations etc etc it isn't a private business.
    It's a public school, not "Miss Mary's college of good manners with several degrees avalible you can print on your printer at home but no one accepts the transfer credits"

Just like Rice University which got 30 million in tax dollar grants for a "private" (non-state supported?) school

I agree, there is ONE university which will not accept grants (tax dollars) nor Pell Grants/TEOG grants etc, they as a private business should do what they want .... but not a public school accepting millions in tax dollars and saying they are private.

I mean a Bar, a doctor's office, even a barber shop/cosmotologist are a "Private business" on "private property" is still regulated by the State too ... why should schools be different, especially when millions of tax dollars go to them, but not the cosmotologist/barber/bar etc.

KAK

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Waco
    As long as we are making up rights here...

What about my right to carry my property? the right to defend myself? or even ultimately the right to live? How at all would this affect the property owner?

Rights dont exist they are just rules that are a little harder for the government to break. You honestly have no rights, you need to make your own. I have the right to live my life free of scumbag assholes alteration of it because I decided that for myself not because the government told me I could. I got the permit because I could do without the hassle from the stupid government but I know they can take that license away with the snap of their fingers.

KAK

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Waco
    How is allowing private property owners to exercise their private property rights a failure? You and I may not agree with the decision the owners have made but the solution is to spend your money elsewhere and inform them (the owners/schoolboard/dean) of WHY you didn't spend $XX.XX at their university. The solution is NOT to grant the government the power to dictate what people can do with their own property.

You need to realize that there is no such thing as personal property. The government can take it whenever they want. They tax you just for "owning" it. It is the government's little piece of rental revenue as far as im concerned. There is nothing you can do about that either, unless you want to buy a yacht and live in the ocean.

SiscoKid

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    SE TEXAS
    When I saw this on another thread this morning, I was jumping for joy.

It looks like the State Repugs have pulled some old democrat tricks to get this through. Why not???? We voted them in, made sure they have a majority, now doggone it, PASS IT!!!!

It's not like they LIed, Bribed, Threatened, Promised Jobs for Votes, Voted at midnight, on a holiday, and bought votes --- like democrats did to pass Obummer Care.

mdehoogh

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    DFW

I guess I look like a dumbass now I was under the impression that private schools received very little public funding.

Will apply to private Universities as well.

Awesome! Do you know if it has that one exception for the high school that was on the college campus? I know last night the full text of the bill wasn't online so I'll have to go check and read it through

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin
    I guess I look like a dumbass now I was under the impression that private schools received very little public funding.

Awesome! Do you know if it has that one exception for the high school that was on the college campus? I know last night the full text of the bill wasn't online so I'll have to go check and read it through

Yes, also hospitals on campus would be off limits. Text is up now.

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin
    ARTICLE 9. AUTHORITY OF LICENSE HOLDERS TO CARRY HANDGUNS ON CERTAIN CAMPUSES SECTION 9.01. Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code, is amended by adding Section 411.2031 to read as follows: Sec.411.2031.CARRYING OF HANDGUNS BY LICENSE HOLDERS ON CERTAIN CAMPUSES. (a)For purposes of this section: (1)"Campus" means all land and buildings owned or leased by an institution of higher education. (2)"Institution of higher education" has the meaning assigned by Section 61.003, Education Code. (3)"Premises" has the meaning assigned by Section 46.035, Penal Code. (b)Except as otherwise provided by this section, a license holder may carry a concealed handgun on or about the license holder's person while the license holder is on the campus of an institution of higher education in this state. (c)Except as provided by Subsection (d), an institution of higher education in this state may not adopt any rule, regulation, or other provision prohibiting license holders from carrying handguns on the campus of the institution. (d)An institution of higher education in this state may establish rules, regulations, or other provisions concerning the storage of handguns in dormitories that are owned or operated by the institution and located on the campus of the institution. (e)This section does not permit a license holder to carry a concealed handgun on or about the premises of a hospital maintained or operated by an institution of higher education. In this subsection, "hospital" has the meaning assigned by Section 241.003, Health and Safety Code. (f)This section does not permit a license holder to carry a concealed handgun on the premises of a preschool, elementary school, or secondary school that is located on the campus of an institution of higher education if the institution gives effective notice under Section 30.06, Penal Code. SECTION 9.02. Section 411.208, Government Code, is amended by amending Subsections (a), (b), and (d) and adding Subsection (f) to read as follows: (a) A court may not hold the state, an agency or subdivision of the state, an officer or employee of the state, an institution of higher education, an officer or employee of an institution of higher education, a peace officer, or a qualified handgun instructor liable for damages caused by: (1) an action authorized under this subchapter or a failure to perform a duty imposed by this subchapter; or (2) the actions of an applicant or license holder that occur after the applicant has received a license or been denied a license under this subchapter. (b) A cause of action in damages may not be brought against the state, an agency or subdivision of the state, an officer or employee of the state, an institution of higher education, an officer or employee of an institution of higher education, a peace officer, or a qualified handgun instructor for any damage caused by the actions of an applicant or license holder under this subchapter. (d) The immunities granted under Subsections (a), (b), and (c) do not apply to an act or a failure to act by the state, an agency or subdivision of the state, an officer of the state, an institution of higher education, an officer or employee of an institution of higher education, or a peace officer if the act or failure to act was capricious or arbitrary. (f)For purposes of this section, "institution of higher education" has the meaning assigned by Section 61.003, Education Code. SECTION 9.03. Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code, is amended by adding Section 411.209 to read as follows: Sec.411.209.LIABILITY INSURANCE PREMIUMS. An insurance company doing business in this state may not increase the amount of the liability insurance premiums charged to an institution of higher education in this state solely because license holders are permitted to carry handguns on campus under Section 411.2031. SECTION 9.04. Section 46.03, Penal Code, is amended by amending Subsections (a) and (c) and adding Subsections (j) and (k) to read as follows: (a) A person commits an offense if the person intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly possesses or goes with a firearm, illegal knife, club, or prohibited weapon listed in Section 46.05(a): (1) on the physical premises of a school or educational institution, any grounds or building on which an activity sponsored by a school or educational institution is being conducted, or a passenger transportation vehicle of a school or educational institution, whether the school or educational institution is public or private, unless: (A) pursuant to written regulations or written authorization of the institution; or (B)the person possesses or goes with a concealed handgun that the person is licensed to carry under Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code, and no other weapon to which this section applies, on the physical premises of an institution of higher education or in a passenger transportation vehicle of the institution; (2) on the premises of a polling place on the day of an election or while early voting is in progress; (3) on the premises of any government court or offices utilized by the court, unless pursuant to written regulations or written authorization of the court; (4) on the premises of a racetrack; (5) in or into a secured area of an airport; or (6) within 1,000 feet of premises the location of which is designated by the Texas Department of Criminal Justice as a place of execution under Article 43.19, Code of Criminal Procedure, on a day that a sentence of death is set to be imposed on the designated premises and the person received notice that: (A) going within 1,000 feet of the premises with a weapon listed under this subsection was prohibited; or (B) possessing a weapon listed under this subsection within 1,000 feet of the premises was prohibited. (c) In this section: (1)"Institution of higher education" has the meaning assigned by Section 61.003, Education Code. (2) [(1)] "Premises" has the meaning assigned by Section 46.035. (3) [(2)] "Secured area" means an area of an airport terminal building to which access is controlled by the inspection of persons and property under federal law. (j)Subsection (a)(1)(B) does not permit a person to possess a concealed handgun, or go with a concealed handgun, on the premises of a hospital maintained or operated by an institution of higher education. In this subsection, "hospital" has the meaning assigned by Section 241.003, Health and Safety Code. (k)Subsection (a)(1)(B) does not permit a person to possess a concealed handgun, or go with a concealed handgun, on the premises of a preschool, elementary school, or secondary school that is located on the physical premises of an institution of higher education. This subsection does not apply if the actor was not given effective notice under Section 30.06. SECTION 9.05. Subdivision (1), Subsection (c), Section 46.11, Penal Code, is amended to read as follows: (1) "Premises" has the meaning ["Institution of higher education" and "premises" have the meanings] assigned by Section 481.134, Health and Safety Code. SECTION 9.06. Section 411.208, Government Code, as amended by this Act, applies only to a cause of action that accrues on or after the effective date of this Act. A cause of action that accrued before that date is governed by the law in effect immediately before the effective date of this Act, and that law is continued in effect for that purpose. SECTION 9.07. Subsections (a) and (c), Section 46.03, Penal Code, as amended by this Act, apply only to an offense committed on or after the effective date of this Act. An offense committed before the effective date of this Act is governed by the law in effect when the offense was committed, and the former law is continued in effect for that purpose. For purposes of this section, an offense was committed before the effective date of this Act if any element of the offense occurred before that date. ARTICLE 10. EFFECTIVE DATE SECTION 10.01. Except as otherwise provided by this Act, this Act takes effect September 1, 2011.

KAK

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Waco
    I totally think that CHL holding hs teachers should absolutely be able to carry to work btw. My high school was far more dangerous than my college, and it wasn't in some bad part of town.

RstyShcklfrd

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Dallas
    I have already been telling everyone I know to email Jim Pitts and other members on the committee to tell them they support it. I am also on my local news' facebook arguing for it. I tell you what, the ignorance and stupidity of some people is just absolutely aggravating.

RPB

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2009
    Texas
    I have already been telling everyone I know to email Jim Pitts and other members on the committee to tell them they support it. I am also on my local news' facebook arguing for it. I tell you what, the ignorance and stupidity of some people is just absolutely aggravating.

Good that will help with SB 1581 (the HB 3639 companion)

Psssst anyone notice that Zaffrini's SB 5 passed today in the Senate and has already been received by the House? John Woods hasn't tweeted about it ... guess he really doesn't care about School funding at all .... hmmmm

Shhhh
    (keep an eye on SB 5 too BUT .... No need to call John's attention to SB 5 so he posts to call authors of companion bills in the House etc etc etc . )
    SB 1581 has a good chance in the House. SB 5 just passed today and it's already in the House, deadline for the House to pass House bills is Thursday at midnight, so the Calendars Committee is putting House bills onto the Calendar. After Thursday, Senate bills will be soooo guess why SB 5 passed and got sent over. Wentworth had to unload it, for it to get over to the House ... we'll see what happens in the House. Of course the Private Opt out in HB 750 needs to be removed for it to be Germane enough to become a floor amendment to SB 5
    Imagine SB 5 is a ceramic Glock ... only detectable if loaded with metal cartridges (SB 354) ... now it went through the metal detector ... we'll see what happens now.
    Don't reveal where your BUG is ... never show your hole card, always keep something in reserve.

Fred B.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 8, 2010
    Dallas
    From TSRA.....

Concealed Carry on Campus moves again!
    Concealed Carry on Campus~SB 1581

You might recall that SB 354 by Senator Jeff Wentworth (R-San Antonio) dealing with allowing concealed handgun licensees who are students, faculty or staff to have their licensed handgun with them on the premises of a college or university was amended to a Higher-Ed Finance bill, SB 1581. SB 1581 with the concealed carry on campus amendment passed in the Senate, crossed over to the House and today was heard in House Appropriations Committee.

One attempt was made by Rep. Diane Patrick (R-Arlington) to strip the campus amendment from the bill but the attempt was defeated by a sizeable majority. SB 1581 was passed out of Appropriations this morning and is now headed for House Calendars. The Appropriations Committee lead by committee chairman, Rep. Jim Pitts (R-Waxahachie) moved the bill quickly. Thank you, Chairman Pitts!

Although the Calendar is becoming congested with bills waiting to be heard on the House floor, SB 1581 contains priority business language needed by Texas colleges and universities. It needs to be set by House Calendars Committee quickly.

Top Bottom