• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RPB

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2009
    Texas
    In this morning's committee meeting, Aycock (R-54) and Darby (R-72) voted in favor of Diane Patrick’s (Democrat)amendment (against campus carry). so her amendment failed 15-5

Then
    SB 1581 passed out of Appropriations committee as is, (out of committee) 17-3.

The bill now goes to the Calendars Committee, chaired by Todd Hunter (R-32). He sounds very positive about SB 1581 making it to floor.

It’s very likely that points of order like Patrick’s will arise, once SB 1581 reaches the floor. This tactic helps delay bills until time runs out on the legislative session. Considering this, the most important person to call now is Speaker Straus. Despite overwhelming support for campus carry among House members, how Straus rules on points of order will determine whether campus carry reaches the governor’s desk.

District121.Straus@house.state.tx.us
    Speaker Joe Straus: (512) 463-1000

Then
    Please call these five Representatives, and tell them THANK YOU for supporting the campus carry provision of SB 1581 in committee:

Rep. Jim Pitts - (512) 463-0516 - jim.pitts@house.state.tx.us
    Rep. Myra Crownover - (512) 463-0582 - myra.crownover@house.state.tx.us
    Rep. Dee Margo - (512) 463-0728 - dee.margo@house.state.tx.us
    Rep. Geanie Morrison - (512) 463-0456 - geanie.morrison@house.state.tx.us
    Rep. Mark Shelton - (512) 463-0608 - mark.shelton@house.state.tx.us

Also
    Please call these two Representatives, and POLITELY tell them how DISAPPOINTED you are that they chose to vote against the campus carry provision of SB 1581 in committee:

Rep. Jimmie Don Aycock - (512) 463-0684 - jimmie.aycock@house.state.tx.us
    Rep. Drew Darby - (512) 463-0331 - district72.darby@house.state.tx.us

SB 1581 still has to pass two votes in the full House of Representatives, so it’s important to let these legislators know how you feel.

*When I called Aycock's (Republican over the district where the Luby's massacre occurred) office, he said 200 calls [from out of State Democrats who were tweeted by Bradys group?] opposed it, and that's why he voted against it in committee. (He thought/thinks they are "his constituents")
    Venture Surplus ad

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin
    The House Appropriations Committee severely modified SB1581. Now if it passes the House it will have to go back to the Senate...

RPB

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2009
    Texas
    The House Appropriations Committee severely modified SB1581. Now if it passes the House it will have to go back to the Senate...

correct

Appropriations committee minutes

Meeting Minutes Display
    The chair laid out SB 1581.
    The chair offered a complete committee substitute.
    The committee substitute was adopted without objection.
    (Representative McClendon now present.)

Representative Patrick, Diane offered an amendment to the committee substitute.
    The amendment failed by the following record vote:

etc

Unless I'm wrong ...

So the House will be voting on the substitute tomorrow (still containing Campus Carry)
    82(R) SB 1581 - House Committee Report version - Bill Text
    Then, since the House made a complete substitute ... it will need to go back to the Senate, to see if Ogden's group approves Guide to Texas Legislative Information--Process--Return of a Bill
    or if they need a conference committee.
    Guide to Texas Legislative Information--Process--Conference Committee

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin
    correct

Appropriations committee minutes

Meeting Minutes Display

Unless I'm wrong ...

So the House will be voting on the substitute tomorrow (still containing Campus Carry)
    82(R) SB 1581 - House Committee Report version - Bill Text
    Then, since the House made a complete substitute ... it will need to go back to the Senate, to see if Ogden's group approves Guide to Texas Legislative Information--Process--Return of a Bill
    or if they need a conference committee.
    Guide to Texas Legislative Information--Process--Conference Committee

I thought a committee substitute was handled in the same way as an amended bill.

RPB

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2009
    Texas
    There are 76 amendments filed to be heard on SB 1581 tomorrow, many on Finance matters; ... about half by HB 750 authors (campus carry) if it's a lot different already ... Senate willl have to accept changes, else form house/Senate conference committee to come to agreement .... Democrats hope for more time/ want Special Session; Perry says nope, no special session, y'all get to work faster. (putting pressure on to pass )

RPB

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2009
    Texas
    well, full strength for Public/State supported so far not "so-called" Private schools like Rice University which get $30,000,000.00 in Taxpayer funds as "Grants" though... we'll see after they hear/vote on SB 1811 today, then 1581 will come up ... anything can happen with 76 to 81 amendments being voted on to it today.... we'll know ion several hours or so.

RPB

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2009
    Texas
    sb 1581 postponed until tomorrow

the big argument is over money/school finance budgets ... only a few seem worried about campus carry Rep Sylvester Turner mainly, and democrats .... relay need to be calling/faxing e-mailing .... gun free campus groups are.

I had a Senator and a Representative start following me on Twitter today after knocking out a Sfgfs Students for gun free schools "strawman" argument

Yje rep earlier said to John Woods' group, "well, I resisted, but you convinced me"

so he they need unconvincing (they need FACTS/LOGIC) Representatives/Senators are better thnkers that Pied Piper followers .... well some are ..

Driller

Life Member
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 21, 2011
    Conroe,TX
    Side note: When campus carry becomes legal...........Is going to a college football game, with the stadium on campus, legal to carry in the stadium?

jsimmons

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    San Antonio
    Campus carry is dead - it turns out that they violated the Texas constitution when they attached it to the other bill. Everyone's saying that it's a no go until the next session in 2013.

DrBart2

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2008
    Burleson
    Campus carry is dead - it turns out that they violated the Texas constitution when they attached it to the other bill. Everyone's saying that it's a no go until the next session in 2013.

That seems odd. They attach amendments to other bills all the time. How does this particular one differ from others?

Fred B.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 8, 2010
    Dallas
    Not sure how this would be unconstitutional- Texas has no germaneness rules.

This is what I found.......

CSSB 1581 - POINT OF ORDER
    Representative Villarreal raised a point of order against further consideration
    of CSSB 1581 under Rule 8, Section 3 of the House Rules and under Article III,
    Section 35a of the Texas Constitution on the grounds that the bill violates the one
    subject rule.
    The chair sustained the point of order.
    CSSB 1581 was returned to the senate.

San Antone RR

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    San Antonio
    I wonder if this is a tactic to get out on time tonight and end without a special session. I heard on the news that there were more than 100 amendments (like College Carry) added to a budget bill that needed to pass. I would bet that more than College Carry got similarly cut.

Top Bottom