Not open for further replies.

Wiliamr

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Austin
    No, but the only used firearms I buy are collector's items which typically cost a bit more than your average glock. Being its an investment, it's one of the things I've been curious about as I could lose out on quite a bit of money if it did turn out stolen.

If I buy a used firearm that turned out to be stolen, I could lose my whole investment. If I buy a meat cleaver or a car used for human slavery, I still retain my investment in both. There is a difference...
    How would anyone know you had a stolen gun? About the only way I can figure is if your place got burgled and you turned over a list of serial numbers to the police.

wbblazer90

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 18, 2014
    A handshake and exchange of product and money was all that used to be needed. However, ATF is purportedly making changes to that. Whereby to sell a gun, you will need an ffl. I hope I am wrong.

xkon

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2020
    Houston
    How would anyone know you had a stolen gun? About the only way I can figure is if your place got burgled and you turned over a list of serial numbers to the police.

If someone went to resell a firearm and is sold out of state and needs a transfer, to an FFL, etc. A FFL has to record everything in/out. Don't know if they run the serial or not but I would assume so.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Being its an investment, it's one of the things I've been curious about as I could lose out on quite a bit of money if it did turn out stolen.
    If you're buying for investment on the high end, you do your due diligence including understanding the provenance of the piece well enough to bet your money on your own expertise. And you're also likely to be buying through an auction house that has done their homework, too.

But it's no longer the early 1960s when to invest in a machinegun you had to know somebody who knew somebody who was willing to go through a mutual friend to complete the transaction. Nowadays, a person to person sale will rarely, if ever, be an investment.

@TX_1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2023
    Rolling Plains of TX
    One important thing, though...make sure it's not somebody you know to be a felon, illegal alien or other prohibited person. Selling to them is a bad thing.
    I've never thought about that. I'm 76 and have never sold a firearm. Have bought a few, but still have them with no intention of selling one. My grandson might need one.

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    I've never thought about that. I'm 76 and have never sold a firearm. Have bought a few, but still have them with no intention of selling one. My grandson might need one.

I've never considered selling one, but I've bought a few...good thing I'm not a felon. As far as you know.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    If I had had children, I would say the same. However, without heirs and with a recently polished appreciation of my own mortality, I'm in the process of selling off anything I don't think I'll ever seriously shoot. Strange how time alters our perceptions of the world and our place in it.

xkon

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2020
    Houston
    If you're buying for investment on the high end, you do your due diligence including understanding the provenance of the piece well enough to bet your money on your own expertise. And you're also likely to be buying through an auction house that has done their homework, too.

But it's no longer the early 1960s when to invest in a machinegun you had to know somebody who knew somebody who was willing to go through a mutual friend to complete the transaction. Nowadays, a person to person sale will rarely, if ever, be an investment.

Agreed. Have not had a face to face sale for these items, have all been transfered through FFLs. Was curious on the topic I clearly derailed the thread lol.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom