• Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Nobody is talking about negotiating with evil.

The debate was wether we should throw out the Constitution and Bill of Rights in order to go after a group of people who have chosen to deal with their small civil issues via a religion based mediator.

Some are quick to trample the rights they are so fond of.

Some are happy to use the same tactics liberals use in order to stir the pot and erode our rights. And it would lead to the same outcome.

Some can't figure out that they are the Kory Watkins of the conservatives. All their screaming does nothing more than give ammunition to liberals and help them further their cause.

Congrats to those who can't see how their blind tirade is as counter productive as OCTC.

Of course, they will fire back with some thinly veiled insults, maybe a vid that includes none of the people mentioned in the article, nor anything that connects them to the actions any more than being a Christian connects someone to Westburrow Baptist Church which will supposedly be irrefutable evidence.

But hey, who needs to worry about some old dusty papers written by some guys who thought certain rights were so important they need be specifically mentioned and protected at all costs. It's a new millennium, that shit don't matter anymore.

**** rights, who needs'em. That freedom shit is too dangerous anyways.

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    My family, white, was attacked by the KKK coming home from church one Sunday.
    Seems like they didn't like Catholics either.

Just sparked an FYI "fun" fact moment:

(Prince)Saint Hermenegild was put to death by his own heretic (king) father for refusing communion from an Arian heretic bishop.

Arians have been attacking Catholics for a long time. They were roundly condemned way back at Nicea.

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    You can't. The tricky part is figuring out who is evil and who is just different from you.
    I'm pretty certain the ones that are crucifying children are the evil ones. It's not tricky to me at all, it's not even a gray area.
    Feel free to correct me on this.
    564719d1408981172-isis-now-beheading-children-crucifying-youths-bumw-kjiaaasozl_jpg-large-e1408927036192.jpg

F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    I'm pretty certain the ones that are crucifying children are the evil ones. It's not tricky to me at all, it's not even a gray area.
    564719d1408981172-isis-now-beheading-children-crucifying-youths-bumw-kjiaaasozl_jpg-large-e1408927036192.jpg

Sure, those are the easy ones. Now go drive down the road for 20 minutes and figure out good vs. evil on everyone you pass (or everyone that passes you if you drive a prius ).

TAZ

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2008
    Round Rock

Trying to figure out how this post has any relation to the topic at hand. Did the people who are proposing this "court" crucify children?

Do you believe in pre-crime? Do you believe that your guns should be taken cause you might hurt someone? What if your dad was a murderer; should you be banned from owning guns?

I understand that people worry about Sharia law and its potential impact on their society. It's a prudent course of action. At the same we can't deny people their rights because of something someone else has done a million miles away under different circumstances. I don't want to have anything to do with that kind of government intervention or even asshole intervention. If they do something illegal or promote illegal behavior then and only then can we act. Till then it's keep an eye on them and that's it.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    Preferential treatment of Muslims can be carried to extremes! When I worked in the Texas Prison System, menus at each unit were determined primarily by what that unit produces in its fields and stockyards. In our unit, 2,200 Offenders and all the officers and employees ate pork. We had every conceivable variety of pork, every day in every way!

We had a small population of Muslim Offenders and honestly, can't recall how they handled their chow. That could become a major issue if a unit had a large population of Muslims!

Probably the easiest solution would be to isolate Muslims in several adjacent units depending on their level of custody. The individual Offender custody level determines what unit they are sent to. If they behave badly, they are shipped to a more secure unit. Only certain custody levels are allowed to be housed together.

If TDCJ separated Muslim Offenders because of their dietary requirements, isn't that discrimination?

Flash

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I guess that depends on the extent in which we wish to respect the rights of prisoners and felons.

We allow church service, although it could be said that it is intended as rehabilitation. Do we also cater to Jewish prisoners and insure their meals are kosher? That's an honest question.

I'm not sure we should bother with it too much, especially at the felony level. Your punishment for the crime is loss of rights. Should that include religious rights?

If so, it only makes sense to go across the board with that reasoning. Personally, I don't see any reason to give violent felons anything more than the cheapest protein past with the base nutritional requirements to remain healthy. And only because if they aren't healthy we are stuck footing the bill for medical care.

F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    We had a small population of Muslim Offenders and honestly, can't recall how they handled their chow. That could become a major issue if a unit had a large population of Muslims!

But if they were good, strict Muslims, they wouldn't be in jail would they? Unless of course they were wrongly convicted and are innocent.

I think prisons should be more along the lines of a place that you never want to return to. Not one where you're allowed to choose your meals or watch cable TV.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I agree, and the same applies to Christians and Jews. So how much should we spend catering to their religious beliefs.

Totally agree that prison is way to comfy.

ROGER4314

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    I worked in the "I.D." full size prison units. Time there was hard for the Offenders. They worked on the Hoe squads, grounds crews, kitchen, laundry and they had to work. It was hot as Hell in the summer and cold in the winter. They had chow three times per day and one shower. Ours was a medium security unit for 2200 Offenders.

In our unit, they had huge cages with 54 houses. Offenders were counted many times per day by their rack number. The CO's would yell out "Count Time" when the Offenders would line up for count. No one moved or left their area until "Count Clear" was announced.

Each house was like a booth in a restaurant with the table removed. That was the "house" for one offender. One side of the house was his rack (bed). The other side was his table. the walls of their houses wereabout 3 feet tall. There was absolutely no privacy.

The bathroom facilities were at one end of the cage. There were no walls or doors around the toilets.

Above each giant cage there were catwalks where CO's walked. Each house had a small lock box where he stored everything
    he owned.

Nothing that wasn't issued or sold in the commissary was allowed. Anything else was contraband. Postage stamps were commonly used as currency but it was a major case if they were caught. If an Offender was caught with a Nickle or a dime, it was a major case!

NO money is allowed, no smokes, only treats from the commissary were allowed and he got that only if some kind soul from outside puts money on his commissary account. Many Offenders had no money on their books and were termed "indigent."

The cable TV we always hear about goes like this. Prison units are located in rural areas where TV reception is slim to none There was one TV in a communal area at one end of each cage. Unless an Offender lost his "Rec" privileges, they were allowed to watch TV in the communal area nearest the main hallway.

CO's always kept the remote and the Offenders were severely restricted in TV content. If they caused any trouble, they were "Racked up" and the TV was off.

If an Offender picked up cases, he would drop a line in custody and be shipped off to a more secure unit. The last stop is a dungeon.

Prison in Texas isn't a cake walk. Short sentences are served in the State Jails which are less strict. Longer sentences or Offenders with more serious charges went to the ID units.

Flash

Last edited:

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    How long has it been since you worked in TDCJ, Roger?

I've watched a few of the "inside prison" shows based around showing how those poor convicts are treated. I was pretty appalled, by how many comforts they had. Admittedly, I can't remember which states they were in or if it was state or federal.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    When they are interviewing a guy who killed somebody for $35 I have a hard time keeping my blood pressure down as he whines about "not having any kind of a life anymore" and how "people just don't understand what it's like".

ROGER4314

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    I worked in the ID units from 2005 to 2008. Federal units are much different. Perhaps that's what you saw. We called the State Jails "Baby Prisons."

Gotta say......The Texas ID units were not something I'd want to be locked up in!

Offender Uniforms.....One per day. If you were issued one with the ass ripped out...tough crap! If the elastic is shot....tough! They put a scent in their laundry for dogs to track. That way if one runs, they don't need an Offender's personal item for the dogs. The dogs track the laundry scent. We had champion trackers on our unit.

Soap...........One bar made in the prison. 1x2" and very thin. If they stashed several bars to combine them into a bigger bar it became contraband.

Mattress......looked like a crib mattress stuffed with God knows what! They are very small. If you're tall....tough!

Blanket............Very small and very thin wool blankets. Tall guys had to sleep in a fetal position to get covered up. Guys with wool allergies broke out in hideous rashes!

Commissary.........They could buy a fan, clock or a hotpot for coffee, or a headphone radio. They were made of clear plastic. The fan and radio were $15 each which was a fortune for an Offender!

I was fascinated by those things so I bought one of everything for myself. That got me in a jam with the Major. I had to drive all the way home to get those items so I could prove that I hadn't purchased them for an Offender!

Mail........ They censor it if necessary......but ALL Offender mail is read. Employee mail is not inspected. They can buy stamps in the commissary or if they are indigent, they write that on the envelope and the stamps are provided.

If the Major cracks down on trading, he may require each stamp to be signed with the Offender name at the time of purchase.

Haircuts.............Very strictly enforced. Employees can get haircuts (by Offenders) for $5 per month.

Boots............For $5/ month, employees can get their boots/shoes polished by Offenders. Employees get 4 pieces of personal laundry done per day. As I recall, the same $5 paid for boot polishing and laundry.

You bring 4 plastic hangers with your laundry number on them. Each item must also have your laundry number marked on it. You bring your laundry bag with dirty items inside the gate with the 4 hangers inside it. You get the four items, bag and hangers back at the end of shift.

The laundry drop off room was just before the "sally port" which were the final gates before entry into the lockup. Security on the laundry bags was minimal. In the sally port they may shake down your carry in stuff.

Well................that's life on the inside.

Flash

Last edited:

F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    I guess it's the shorter term jails I've heard about then. You paint a different picture than I've heard on the ID facilities.

There's a couple of guys at work who did some short stints and their experience is nothing like you describe.

Top Bottom