Hurley's Gold

So, I found my friend dead. I’m asking for your help.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JColumbus

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 28, 2012
    Found a few small parts if they help- angled grip, gas block, flash hider, a couple small rail pieces

edit; took those out, keymod, sorry

Hey whistler. Thank you so much for reaching out. If you want to toss in the angled grip, gas block, and rail pieces, it is very welcome, and I thank you sir.

JColumbus

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 28, 2012
    PARTS
    •Red dot - BUIS From my own stash
    •LPK with FCG Thank you @toddnjoyce RECEIVED
    •BCG - I was able to get a good deal on one so that’s nixed
    •Charging handle Thank you @deemus
    •Flash hider Thank you @jrbfishn
    •Buffer tube assembly and SBA3 Thank you @gll
    •Angled grip, gas block, rail slots Thank you @Whistler

CASH
    •$50 dollar donation Thank you @msharley
    •$25 dollar donation. Thank you @1911’s 4 me
    •$250 dollar donation Thank you @glenbo
    •$100 dollar donation Thank you @V-Tach

Total roughly $239 before tax and shipping. Still need MLok rail but for that and a decent light, we have what we need and I can cover the rest.

Let me know if you guys think this is a good plan. Man I can’t wait to post the video so you guys can see the effect of this and the raffling is gonna be fun. Maybe I can figure out how to do a live youtube video and let you all know when it is and I’ll do it live.

Any further donations of cash (there is most likely JUST enough to finish), if extra will be given to his mother. Any further donations in parts aren’t necessarily needed, but if anyone still wants to chip in, they can go toward the raffle, or if it’s a rail or light, the gun, but I think this about does it.

God bless you all and thank you, from the very depths of mine, my family, and surely my late buddy Levi and his mother.

Also, for anyone else who needs help in this way, in the future, I’d like to volunteer my time to help organize and arrange something like this. The gun community is the best community on the planet, bar NONE.

Love you all. Still, feel free to leave suggestions and advice for this build.

@toddnjoyce
    @deemus
    @jrbfishn
    @gll
    @Whistler
    @msharley
    @1911’s 4 me
    @glenbo
    @V-Tach

|
    V

EDIT: As parts keep coming in, the price to build this is coming down more. I can either build it with a nicer looking receiver set, give her left over cash, or pay back a portion of the two bigger donations. Yall let me know what’s best, more honorable, or respectful please. I want to make sure I do this right, with upmost integrity as well as respect and gratitude to you all.

Last edited:

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    …Also, for anyone else who needs help in this way, in the future, I’d like to volunteer my time to help organize and arrange something like this. The gun community is the best community on the planet, bar NONE.
    Not the first time this group has something like this. A couple reunions back, @vmax, I think, led a similar project for a deployed friend/mentee of his. This is a good group of people.

JColumbus

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 28, 2012
    Not the first time this group has something like this. A couple reunions back, @vmax, I think, led a similar project for a deployed friend/mentee of his. This is a good group of people.

The best, and I’m saying that with complete confidence.

Man I remember over a decade ago, when I first became a gun owner, I got on here and didn’t know a thing about really anything, but worst of all, I wasn’t privy to forum etiquette and my temperament (being a 24 year old) was even worse.

I couldn’t tell when people were joking, I took everything so seriously, and I said the dumbest shit. I quickly became disliked, here, and on other forums. As I did in my marriage, if I saw there was an issue on here, instead of letting it go (if it was even an issue at all), I dug my heels in and inadvertently caused more drama, by “trying” to lessen it.

Well, over the years, I got a feel for it and started to adjust and one of the best things, that I didn’t realize until just a couple years ago, is that this forum and how I behaved and started to settle in, actually bled into my personality in my life. I became calmer, I thought more before I opened the flood gates, and I stopped taking myself and other’s opinions so seriously.

In all honesty, there’s a percentage of my marriage that I can say was helped by being apart of this forum. OH I remember on one of my wife’s birthdays, nobody in her life told her happy birthday, so I got on here and you all blew her phone up and she was blushing ALL DAY.

I’m 36 now, luckily, God didn’t bless me with sons in my 20’s but after I became who I am today, 5 years ago, he gave me two. Now, a lot of the lessons I’ve learned about myself, on here, and a lot of what many of you have to say, definitely makes it in to how I raise them.

I’m a Texas lifer from day one and I love this state more than I can ever express, and this forum is a HUGE mirror as to how this state is, and it’s a special thing. It’s special to me, and I’m sure it’s special to you all as well.

I’m damn blessed to be apart of this place, to be a Texan through and through, and to be, for the most part, accepted. Whatever happens to me, this nation, or this world, I know my sons have it too and for that I am truly greatful.

I love you all and anything ANYONE needs, for ANY reason, please call on me and let me serve a purpose for you. It’s the least I can do and I’d be the more better for it. God bless Texas and GOD BLESS TEXAS GUN TALK.

JColumbus

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 28, 2012

We did talk about that a couple pages back and I was leaning toward that, but the majority was for a build, and I guess that’s better anyway cause since it’s less expensive, we can get better looking, more quality parts, so she can have something that’ll inspire more confidence, I suppose.

I really value and consider all opinions on this and truly feel like we’re all doing this together, so please keep weighing in. Thanks again roper. God bless.

1911'S 4 Me

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 13, 2018
    Humble

Man I remember over a decade ago, when I first became a gun owner, I got on here and didn’t know a thing about really anything, but worst of all, I wasn’t privy to forum etiquette and my temperament (being a 24 year old) was even worse.

I couldn’t tell when people were joking, I took everything so seriously, and I said the dumbest shit. I quickly became disliked, here, and on other forums. As I did in my marriage, if I saw there was an issue on here, instead of letting it go (if it was even an issue at all), I dug my heels in and inadvertently caused more drama, by “trying” to lessen it.

Well, over the years, I got a feel for it and started to adjust and one of the best things, that I didn’t realize until just a couple years ago, is that this forum and how I behaved and started to settle in, actually bled into my personality in my life. I became calmer, I thought more before I opened the flood gates, and I stopped taking myself and other’s opinions so seriously.

In all honesty, there’s a percentage of my marriage that I can say was helped by being apart of this forum. OH I remember on one of my wife’s birthdays, nobody in her life told her happy birthday, so I got on here and you all blew her phone up and she was blushing ALL DAY.

I’m 36 now, luckily, God didn’t bless me with sons in my 20’s but after I became who I am today, 5 years ago, he gave me two. Now, a lot of the lessons I’ve learned about myself, on here, and a lot of what many of you have to say, definitely makes it in to how I raise them.

I’m a Texas lifer from day one and I love this state more than I can ever express, and this forum is a HUGE mirror as to how this state is, and it’s a special thing. It’s special to me, and I’m sure it’s special to you all as well.

I’m damn blessed to be apart of this place, to be a Texan through and through, and to be, for the most part, accepted. Whatever happens to me, this nation, or this world, I know my sons have it too and for that I am truly greatful.

I love you all and anything ANYONE needs, for ANY reason, please call on me and let me serve a purpose for you. It’s the least I can do and I’d be the more better for it. God bless Texas and GOD BLESS TEXAS GUN TALK.
    Changing your life will do just that: Change your life for the better as you can see being blessed with two sons and a good woman.

JColumbus

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 28, 2012
    Changing your life will do just that: Change your life for the better as you can see being blessed with two sons and a good woman.

And it gets better. Before them, I had 3 daughters. One is 18 now and graduated in the number four spot in a college level and credit program. I was basically saying I wasn’t man enough to raise a man. So he gave em to me when I was ready. God always knows best.

JColumbus

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 28, 2012
    OH NO…

So someone left a comment in the paypal saying it was for my friend’s mom’s pistol.

I’ve heard of people’s accounts getting locked for that. Is there anything I can do to avoid that? Should I call and tell them that was for a toy pistol, or just leave it alone? Does anyone know how long it takes for them to lock it, after a comment was made?

JColumbus

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 28, 2012
    Today is Levi's birthday. Obviously not going to be able to do it today, but thanks to you all, it will be soon.

Today we are gonna sing happy birthday to him in his room. I hope I can provide his mother any amount of comfort. I know pretty much nothing can do that and I'm not shit compared to him, in her eyes, and rightfully so, but...

This guy was such a cool dude and danced everywhere we went. Didn't care who looked at him and was always happy. This is one of the last videos my wife took at her little market thing. He helped her and sold some stuff too and danced, of course.

<iframe title="vimeo-player" src="" width="640" height="1137" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Happy birthday buddy. Kid's keep asking where's uncle Levi, and I tell em you're hanging out with grandpa. Love you man.

TreyG-20

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Central

I was also 24 when I joined this forum about 10 years ago. Pissed off plenty of members then. Still do sometimes. When I first joined I remember several people would give me shit about selling here as the new guy and that no one would buy my stuff because I didn't have much time on the forum even though I followed the rules. Basically I wasn't a part of the click. I forced my way in though. Tough crowd, but once you get to know them it's just a bunch of softies. I mean that in a good way.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    I was also 24 when I joined this forum about 10 years ago. Pissed off plenty of members then. Still do sometimes. When I first joined I remember several people would give me shit about selling here as the new guy and that no one would buy my stuff because I didn't have much time on the forum even though I followed the rules. Basically I wasn't a part of the click. I forced my way in though. Tough crowd, but once you get to know them it's just a bunch of softies. I mean that in a good way.

Bout time you two jerks got in line.....

;)

JColumbus

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 28, 2012
    @mroper sent 25. THANK YOU!

PARTS
    •Red dot - My parts bin
    •LPK with FCG - Thank you @toddnjoyce
    •BUIS - My parts bin
    •BCG - I bought one
    •CH and grip - Thank you @deemus
    •Flash hider - Thank you @jrbfishn
    •Buffer tube assembly and SBA3 - Thank you @gll
    •Angled grip, gas block, rail slots - Thank you @Whistler

CASH

•$50 donation - Thank you @msharley
    •$25 donation - Thank you @1911’s 4 me
    •$250 donation - Thank you @glenbo
    •$100 donation - Thank you @V-Tach
    •$25 donation - Thank you @mroper

Also, @msharley and @1911'S 4 Me, I received your donations yesterday.

DONE
    At this point, I'm more than sure there is enough. @kyletxria1911a1, if you'd still like to provide the rail, please let me know what you have, as I am going to wait to buy the barrel, so I know what length it should be. Gonna be at least 10.3 to 12.5, max. I think I'm going to go with a slightly recessed pig, if possible... that sounds so wrong. That way she can have that blast directed forward.

Possible late donors
    For anyone else who may want to donate, if you'd like to, please know it's all covered and whatever you put in can just go to her to help with her expenses for the arrangements. I think she's cremating him, so it shouldn't be a lot. Either way everything is deeply appreciate whether it's a kind word, a small part, or cash. So please don't feel obligated to help. Your condolences mean as much as anything else.

The RAFFLE!
    I will update with a photo of the spin wheel with yall's names on it. Considering shipping times I don't think we need to wait until it's done, to do the raffle but I'll give this 2 or 3 days to make sure nobody is left out. On the day of the raffle, I plan to do a Youtube live video so you all can watch live and comment. I plan to raffle off as much stuff as possible and to make it fun, even small underwhelming things, like a handful of loose rounds, or a stock safety selector so members can have a good laugh at someone's misfortune.

Things being raffled off, for sure are as follows: The aforementioned Swampfox and Shield, Ammo (probably different calibers - 9mm/.223/5.56 green tip/7.62x39/.22lr brick - at 100 rounds per spin), hopefully a BCG (trying to make that happen), a Streamlight TLR-1 HL... Other things to be determined (I gotta look), but my intention is that everyone will get something. Just some will get cool stuff, others, maybe not so cool. It's gonna be fun.

If you can't make it to watch live, I will post the results here, anyway.

The Build
    I will document all receipts and parts and post all of that information in one go, so when it is all here.

I will post pictures of the process and videos of test fire, also in one go.

Finally, I will post the video of her being surprised and finding out her fellow Texans have her back. That will conclude the thread.

Again, thank you all SO MUCH. I look forward to raffle night, sgunna be fun.

Anyone who comes across this at any given time in the future; Remember, YOU HAVE FAMILY in the gun community. YOU are NOT alone. Reach OUT. Be there for others and don't hesitate to ask others to be there for you. WE are the brothers and sisters within the border of these united states and WE are the keepers and bearers of the tools of freedom. We need to be together, always, through our differences. For when the arbiters of amendment 2 are strong, ALL of the other amendments WILL STAND, but if we are week, we ALL fall down.

Don't anyone ever hesitate to reach out to me for ANYTHING. God bless.

JColumbus

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 28, 2012
    Hey everybody, just checking in. Last few day have been busy.

So far I've received one part from a member. I'll update again in the next day or so.

Hope everyone is doing ok. My best to you and yours.

Top Bottom