• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    Let's just say it. There is nothing you get in a bullpup you can't get with an AR, length included.

The bullshit starts there.

dfwpi

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 26, 2016
    If you don't want to state the city - at least give us a general region. As someone who will be settling in Texas soon, I'd really like a heads up on what area to avoid like the plague, or at least know when I need to throw on a set of plates and carry a rifle instead of my pistol... but I'd rather just avoid shitholes like that.

With a PBA association, I’m guessing north of the Mason Dixie line.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    With a PBA association, I’m guessing north of the Mason Dixie line.

dfwpi,

I would guess someplace like a little town near East St. Louis.
    (Went there one time on TDY. Didn't have a swell time, either.)

yours, satx

dfwpi

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 26, 2016
    I just got out of academy. Not allowed to provide creds as my department has a strict social media policy,and not that I would be compelled to anyways by this group... Apparently a man's word is worth nothing here, but that doesn't surprise nor bother me. They all think they're right, so what... Yes, its a small department - PD not SO. We have the nickname "mini chicago." And I keep being told I've already had more experience with these things than most cops after 20 years on the job. And yes, you're right. There is not a single officer who has fired a round that is still employed by this department, and one has faced criminal charges (of which he won). We all know to provide backup but let SO do the shooting if possible. And yes, I would be the only one with a bullpup, but the idea seems positive by most I'm around. All others carry an AR. My chief told me on my first such scene a few days out of academy "this department will either make you or break you. This place is training grounds, but if you try to leave I will grab you by the ear and pull you back."

Here the thing:
    If I do somehow provide proof that would leave me anonymous, then each one of these posters calling me a liar would owe me a beer. No apology needed.

Not sure why this got out of hand anyways... I'm going to say it again. If a call comes in of a person shot, and while in route I get 2 more calls of more victims, then I'm treating it as an active shooter. I have had training in this and my goal is to first stop the killing and then stop the dying. In reality, aside from serving a couple of felony warrants and being involved in a shooting where I didn't fire my weapon, what I've wound up doing upon arrival is securing the crime scene and keeping a log.

Now,
    What about the AUG a3m1 vs x95??? I am talking about the semi auto version of these. I didn't make that clear.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

You have to be careful of what you say and do, as people will turn it around on you. We had an officer who knew everything and everybody, and he was full of himself, so much that me, as a sergeant, and the LT played a joke on him as we made up a name and address and was “talking about the person” so Officer Joe Blow could hear us. Before long we had him writing an intell report in all he knew about the fictional person. Needless to say ole Joe didn’t last long afterwards.

And now for some humor...

Enochwel

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2015
    You have to be careful of what you say and do, as people will turn it around on you. We had an officer who knew everything and everybody, and he was full of himself, so much that me, as a sergeant, and the LT played a joke on him as we made up a name and address and was “talking about the person” so Officer Joe Blow could hear us. Before long we had him writing an intell report in all he knew about the fictional person. Needless to say ole Joe didn’t last long afterwards.

And now for some humor...

Thanks, and yea I understand. I'm definitely not a know it all, and this is probably one reason my pd has a strict social media policy (that and a lawsuit that got them in trouble). One poster got it right that I'm with a small dept in a "war zone" so to speak, and that im new, and therefore I'm going to respond to these events despite my rank/experience. Reason I came here is because most of my pd is within only a few years experience and none if them have experience with a bullpup. Although my fto (whom I consider a gun expert) supports the idea.

Enochwel

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2015
    You do realize that every other admitted LEO on here has at least given the area they work, if not the department.

If you are not working in Texas, what difference does it make?
    Yea i shouldn't have done that. I have instructed my wife to not go around telling people, and I dont do it either. I figured it was relevant to give the need for a specific form of firearm in a specific scenario. And no, I can't say. It could literally get me fired... i know I'm not with the only department with a strict anti social media policy...

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    Bullpups have some serious drawbacks and a couple advantages - longer barrel in a compact package being the best I can see. The disadvantages, especially to someone used to a standard rifle like an AR - is the learning curve - different manual of arms that can be a bitch if you're in a stressful situation. Triggers generally suck compared to standard guns, but that may be a minor thing. Ejection port being right under your cheek may also not be great. Balance on the bullpup is an advantage though - the Tavor at least can easily maintain a cheek weld with one hand in case you need to use your off hand for something - not sure how often that scenario plays out, but its something easier to do than with an AR.

Have you thought about putting a side folding stock on an existing AR, or does policy not allow for that? The side folding adapter for an AR is way cheaper than an Aug or Tavor. If you're already familiar with the AR, you won't have to relearn a system.

Are you guys mounting long guns between the seats, or across the seat backs at the top of the cage?

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    Steyr AUG (Armee-Universal-Gewehr)—"universal army rifle"
    While the AUG is not fully ambidextrous, it can still be configured to be use for left- or right-handed operators by changing the bolt with one that has the extractor and ejector on the appropriate side, and moving the blanking plate to cover the ejection port not in use.

Quick change barrels from heavy with bipod to 13.8"

Enochwel

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2015
    Bullpups have some serious drawbacks and a couple advantages - longer barrel in a compact package being the best I can see. The disadvantages, especially to someone used to a standard rifle like an AR - is the learning curve - different manual of arms that can be a bitch if you're in a stressful situation. Triggers generally suck compared to standard guns, but that may be a minor thing. Ejection port being right under your cheek may also not be great. Balance on the bullpup is an advantage though - the Tavor at least can easily maintain a cheek weld with one hand in case you need to use your off hand for something - not sure how often that scenario plays out, but its something easier to do than with an AR.

Have you thought about putting a side folding stock on an existing AR, or does policy not allow for that? The side folding adapter for an AR is way cheaper than an Aug or Tavor. If you're already familiar with the AR, you won't have to relearn a system.

Are you guys mounting long guns between the seats, or across the seat backs at the top of the cage?
    I thought about that, but I believe you cannot fire from a folded stock orientation, yea? At least not more than once. Correct me if I'm wrong... Im trying to fit a quickly accessible 556 without extra steps. My AR goes in the trunk.

Last edited:

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    I thought about that, but I believe you cannot fire from a folded stock orientation, yea? At least not more than once. Correct me if I'm wrong... Im trying to fit a quickly accessible 556 without extra steps. The ar goes in the trunk.

No, you can't fire from folded, but snapping the stock into the operational position would take a fraction of a second. You could have the stock in place before clearing the door jamb of the car. If you had to take shots before getting out of the vehicle, your pistol is your faster option anyway. The other solution instead of the side folder, would be the PDW style stocks like the Troy or Strike Industries, or the CCR.

Here's an article detailing a handful of the ones on the market:

https://sofrep.com/gear/pdw-stock-roundup/

mp_tx

Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Aug 21, 2009
    Austin
    Just follow the lead of 99% of larger law enforcement agencies. Carry your AR up front and not in trunk. Either in a rack, or next to you in passenger seat.

Get proficient with one long arm. Get used to the sights and optic.

Stop trying to fill a niche that does not need filled. Next you are going to want a Remington 700 bolt for when you need to take those “long range shots.” Get a couple years under your belt before you think you know it all. I already question your department that allows an untrained rookie perform felony warrant services unless you are on the perimeter or something, and treats two calls on one victim an “active shooter.”

IXLR8

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    Republic of Texas
    Just follow the lead of 99% of larger law enforcement agencies. Carry your AR up front and not in trunk. Either in a rack, or next to you in passenger seat.

Get proficient with one long arm. Get used to the sights and optic.

Stop trying to fill a niche that does not need filled. Next you are going to want a Remington 700 bolt for when you need to take those “long range shots.” Get a couple years under your belt before you think you know it all. I already question your department that allows an untrained rookie perform felony warrant services unless you are on the perimeter or something, and treats two calls on one victim an “active shooter.”

Stop making so much sense....

SQLGeek

Muh state lines
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 22, 2017
    Richmond
    A piston rifle is another choice. You can fire those with the stocks folded. Sig MCX, Galil Ace in 5.56, etc etc. I'd rather have one of those than a bullpup myself. I'm kind of mystified that a 16" carbine with collapsable stock won't fit in the front seat of a cruiser. They were standard equipment along with a shotgun at the PD I used to work for. Both of those sat up front locked in a rack.

Top Bottom