• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ranger550

Live Free or Die
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I can honestly say I have never seen so many homeless people anywhere in the 50 states (plus the District of Columbia) than I saw while I was in Colorado. Even in Hawaii, where other states such as California will send their homeless via one-way tickets, homelessness wasn't as prevalent. I strongly believe it has something to do with the "Rocky Mountain High!" (pun intended, as Denver allegedly was on LSD and marijuana when he wrote the song)...

Wonder if Denver was high while flying the plane, thus running out of fuel. Talk about a Rocky Mountain High!
    Texas SOT

Ranger550

Live Free or Die
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I can honestly say I have never seen so many homeless people anywhere in the 50 states (plus the District of Columbia) than I saw while I was in Colorado. Even in Hawaii, where other states such as California will send their homeless via one-way tickets, homelessness wasn't as prevalent. I strongly believe it has something to do with the "Rocky Mountain High!" (pun intended, as Denver allegedly was on LSD and marijuana when he wrote the song)...

You haven't been to the Peoples Republic of Kalifornia in a while, I'd guess. We have a ton-load of homeless deadbeats, even in my small town of 35,000 people. In the large cities its MUCH worse in the PRK. Now that pot is legal here, it will only get worse.

Creole

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 24, 2017

I didn’t see any homeless people when we traveled to Colorado for Christmas. We stayed in Breckinridge, it was beautiful and the people were very kind and polite. I visited Denver for a few hours max and didn’t see any homeless people there either. Where did you visit? Maybe it was just the areas I was in.

Edit* I would think that if Texas legalized marijuana, it would generate some revenue wouldn’t it? One things for sure, it would free up some space in the jail for “hard” criminals.

Last edited:

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    Wonder if Denver was high while flying the plane, thus running out of fuel. Talk about a Rocky Mountain High!

He was not. I have the NTSB final report somewhere, but the probable cause was incorrectly configuring the fuel selector due to lack of familiarity with that particular aircraft. He had purchased the mishap aircraft recently and only received 30 mins of instruction from the previous owner.

The tox reporter came back negative for drugs or ETOH.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    I didn’t see any homeless people when we traveled to Colorado for Christmas. We stayed in Breckinridge, it was beautiful and the people were very kind and polite. I visited Denver for a few hours max and didn’t see any homeless people there either. Where did you visit? Maybe it was just the areas I was in.

Edit* I would think that if Texas legalized marijuana, it would generate some revenue wouldn’t it? One things for sure, it would free up some space in the jail for “hard” criminals.

I lived in CO Springs for 3 years.

Breckenridge is too cold for the homeless, out of the way, and has little to no support services for them.

As for Denver, when it’s cold out they’re at Union Station.

Lunyfringe

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 22, 2017
    Canton, TX
    There are also big "camps" of "travellers" (the current PC term for vagabonds, bums, drifter, hobo, vagrant, gutter punk, etc) in the forest parks... they just trash areas worse than most can imagine.

Creole

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 24, 2017
    I lived in CO Springs for 3 years.

Breckenridge is too cold for the homeless, out of the way, and has little to no support services for them.

As for Denver, when it’s cold out they’re at Union Station.

Thank you for the clarification! I wish I could have visited CO Springs!

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    Well, like it or not, there's weed in Texas.
    It's been here for a long long time.
    Legal or not.

The drug task force focused on "the corridor " running through the big country for a decade or so. Confiscated tons of marijuana and millions of dollars.
    They gave up and shut down the operation.

Davetex

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 27, 2010
    Greers Ferry Lake
    Legal or not.

The drug task force focused on "the corridor " running through the big country for a decade or so. Confiscated tons of marijuana and millions of dollars.

I didn't realize GHG went through there that often. :cowboy::fire:

Just kidding.:laughing:

Lunyfringe

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 22, 2017
    Canton, TX
    Legal or not.

yeah, but the aforementioned droves of liberals and takers are limited since it's not legal...
    There will always be a black market for things that illegal.
    legalize it, and you will see the floodgates open- with a sea of blue that can be bussed to the polls.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    Legal or not.

I’m not arguing that at all. What I would like to learn is what Texas plans to do differently from every other state that has already gone down this path. So far, there’s been no real strategic conversation that I’m aware of.

Even if the feds legalized pot and said it’s a state issue, I’d want to know what we’re going to do to keep Texas from decomposing into a veritable shithole. Weed in and of itself isn’t the problem. It’s the unintended outcomes, second- and third-order effects, and impact to the citizenry as a whole that is the problem.

Dred

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 12, 2012
    Houston, TX
    Even if the feds legalized pot and said it’s a state issue, I’d want to know what we’re going to do to keep Texas from decomposing into a veritable shithole. Weed in and of itself isn’t the problem. It’s the unintended outcomes, second- and third-order effects, and impact to the citizenry as a whole that is the problem.

Yep, just like when Alcohol Prohibition was ended - right????

Lunyfringe

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 22, 2017
    Canton, TX
    Umm, you mis-quoted... that wasn't me...

Regardless of the misquote, the demographics were VERY different back then... and I've personally watched Colorado go down the leftist shitter, and IMHO recreational MJ was definitely a factor... I don't want to watch that happen to TX.

Dred

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 12, 2012
    Houston, TX
    Umm, you mis-quoted... that wasn't me...

Regardless of the misquote, the demographics were VERY different back then... and I've personally watched Colorado go down the leftist shitter, and IMHO recreational MJ was definitely a factor... I don't want to watch that happen to TX.

Sorry 'bout the quote thing. I want to type that Texas is populated by Texans so your concerns are unwarranted. Then my thoughts drift to building us our own flip'n wall 'cause immigration (blue state refugeeism) - and I know ... too slow.

I haven't been to CO since they downsized their prohibition, so ...

Lunyfringe

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 22, 2017
    Canton, TX
    Sorry 'bout the quote thing. I want to type that Texas is populated by Texans so your concerns are unwarranted. Then my thoughts drift to building us our own flip'n wall 'cause immigration (blue state refugeeism) - and I know ... too slow.

I haven't been to CO since they downsized their prohibition, so ...
    It was definately a blue refugee problem... and they brought the very same shitty ideas/values that ruined their home state. Just like leftists think that communism hasn't worked only because it hasn't been done correctly yet...fidiots!

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Colorado voted for Obama before weed was legal there.

Not cheering for weed, but weed didn't turn Colorado blue.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Thank you for the clarification! I wish I could have visited CO Springs!

I was both in Colorado Springs and Denver. There are huge homeless camps in both, usually located along major roadways. There is barely an intersection in the Springs that doesn't have someone panhandling in it.

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    Well, Brownsville and surrounding area is already a shithole.
    I was both in Colorado Springs and Denver. There are huge homeless camps in both, usually located along major roadways. There is barely an intersection in the Springs that doesn't have someone panhandling in it.
    Sounds like Lubbock.
    Look. I'm not an advocate for legalization of marijuana .
    I'm just trying to be a realist.
    Take a trip to Brownsville and tell me what country you're in and who's in charge.
    Laredo? Del Rio?
    El Paso?

Just like booze. Put the tax on it and turn the G men loose on 'em.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne

I wrote the portion you quoted. Is that sarcasm or can you provide more context?

If you really want to go there, after prohibition, alcohol sales became a local issue, down to the city and/or county level local. My best guess would be take a look at the Baptist dry counties left. They generally have lower incidences of alcohol related crimes of all types.

Hell, I went to college in San Angelo. Back in the 90s, it was somewhat dry. You could buy beer/wine at the grocery store or by the glass. Mixed drinks the same way, by the glass. Couldn’t by liquor by the bottle except way out in one precinct of the county. It was a pain in the ass to get to if you were a college student without a car.

Now, I’m not saying there wasn’t liquor by the bottle on campus, but it was a minuscule presence compared to when I dropped my kids off for college at A&M and Texas State (the old SWT).

I can’t even recall an alcohol related death that occurred involving Angelo State students from back then. Both my kids schools had several while they matriculated.

So, my anecdotal experience is that difficult access to the product of choice does in fact result in fewer issues related to that product.

Dred

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 12, 2012
    Houston, TX
    I wrote the portion you quoted. Is that sarcasm or can you provide more context?

If you really want to go there, after prohibition, alcohol sales became a local issue, down to the city and/or county level local. My best guess would be take a look at the Baptist dry counties left. They generally have lower incidences of alcohol related crimes of all types.

Hell, I went to college in San Angelo. Back in the 90s, it was somewhat dry. You could buy beer/wine at the grocery store or by the glass. Mixed drinks the same way, by the glass. Couldn’t by liquor by the bottle except way out in one precinct of the county. It was a pain in the ass to get to if you were a college student without a car.

Now, I’m not saying there wasn’t liquor by the bottle on campus, but it was a minuscule presence compared to when I dropped my kids off for college at A&M and Texas State (the old SWT).

I can’t even recall an alcohol related death that occurred involving Angelo State students from back then. Both my kids schools had several while they matriculated.

So, my anecdotal experience is that difficult access to the product of choice does in fact result in fewer issues related to that product.

Yes, definately cloaked sarcasm. But since we have radically different views regarding the bounty restored by the end of prohibition, it was also spot on. And, I expect you live in a dry county since they are better for your family.

I hate losing, and we the people are losing a battle against a weed. You realize it got that name 'cause it will find a way to grow. I'm not willing to give up enough personal freedom to allow a society where it is even possible to win. Rather than keep dumping funds and effort while losing ... I'm ok letting Spicoli finance social well being by playing tax assessment and collection cards. There is a lot of fat in the industry - government can collect it and the consumers won't care; the criminal industry will be missed.

Top Bottom