• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Maverick44

Youngest old man on TGT.
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    GA is ahead of TX in the following areas:
    - Signs have no bearing in GA. I can carry anywhere (outside of government buildings) and only face prosecution if asked to leave and then refuse.
    - GA has had open carry for a long time (with a GWL). TX just got it
    - To get a GWL all you have to do is go to the local courthouse, get fingerprinted, pay a small fee and 6-8 weeks later you get your GWL. There are no unnecessary hoops to jump through like there are here in TX. Also, the GWL fee is only $80 for your first one and then $25-$50 for renewal.
    - With a GWL you can also carry in a bar if you wish (as long as the owner doesn't prohibit it, and if they do, see point #1). You can also carry in a church (again, as long as the church allows it).

TX does allow open carry, but it was years behind GA in that. TX allows campus carry (kind of) and GA doesn't but the bill that was vetoed in GA would have allowed all campus carry, while the TX bill is only for state schools. I would bet that campus carry will pass in GA very soon.

So as you can see, GA is still ahead of TX in firearms freedoms.

It doesn't matter if they tried to pass the law or not. Their campus carry law failed to pass, so Texas is way ahead in that regard. Your grasping at straws with the conceal carry licensing stuff. Yeah theirs is cheaper, but the fact of the matter is you still have to pay them. You don't have Constitutional carry, so your really not that far ahead of Texas on that issue. In a few years, you'll probably be behind us. The sign thing is not that big of an issue. A private business has the right to ban anything they want from their premises, and we as law abiding citizens should respect that right by spending our money elsewhere. As for the Government buildings, we can carry in those. Any local government that tries to stop that gets to deal with the state. Heck, you can get into the state capital faster by carrying a gun.

So basically what your trying to tell me is that slightly better conceal carry licensing laws, and a law about signs that really doesn't matter much somehow puts you ahead of a state that allows you to carry on campus and into government buildings when yours doesn't?

Yeah, your not ahead of us.
    ARJ Defense ad

Last edited:

busykngt

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    McKinney
    I've always felt the *real* strong point Texas has going for it, at least concerning modern gun laws and the right to self defense, is the very strong Castle Doctrine and the Stand Your Ground laws that were passed not all that many years ago. And concerning the thread's topic on general OC, Texas has always allowed long guns to be openly carried (and w/o a weapons license). This Texas Gun Lover thinks Open Carry IS a great idea (unlike the thread's topic states). And I've made it a point to not drop my hard-earned cash in those locations that have put up signage to the contrary!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Maverick44

Youngest old man on TGT.
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I've always felt the *real* strong point Texas has going for it, at least concerning modern gun laws and the right to self defense, is the very strong Castle Doctrine and the Stand Your Ground laws that were passed not all that many years ago. And concerning the thread's topic on general OC, Texas has always allowed long guns to be openly carried (and w/o a weapons license). This Texas Gun Lover thinks Open Carry IS a great idea (unlike the thread's topic states). And I've made it a point to not drop my hard-earned cash in those locations that have put up signage to the contrary!

Oh yeah, I almost forgot about how far our Castle Doctrine laws went. I believe they are one of the strongest, if not the strongest in regards to you being able to legally use lethal force to protect you and your property.

There's also the matter of how the state protects you after a justified shooting. Texas protects you from civil suits period if you were found to be justified in a shooting. Georgia offers civil immunity, but not to the same extent. They only offer it in the context of a defense of dwelling.

XinTX

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 29, 2010
    South of Houston
    Back when I lived in 'Bama, getting a CC was simple. Go to the Sheriff's office (or LEO), pay a nominal fee (IIRC it was $10 or maybe $25) and fill out a little form. Ten minutes later, walk out with a card.

But my personal preference would be Constitutional Carry, and for the 30.06 signs to lose force of law. Make them just like the "no shirt, no shoes...." signs. Businesses can post them, but they must ask you to leave. If not, THEN it becomes a trespass.

busykngt

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    McKinney
    But my personal preference would be Constitutional Carry, and for the 30.06 signs to lose force of law. Make them just like the "no shirt, no shoes...." signs. Businesses can post them, but they must ask you to leave. If not, THEN it becomes a trespass.

^^^^ This ^^^^

Exactly. Period.

BRD@66

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2014
    Liberty Hill

Sounds good to me. However, with Const. Carry, we CHL/LTC folks would lose our capability to pat ourselves on the back & offer this info to the anti-gun world:
    TSRA bus cards.jpg

busykngt

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    McKinney
    You could still use some version of those cards IF they ask ya to leave (hand it to 'em on your way out the door to go spend your money somewhere else!).

Last edited:

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    But my personal preference would be...for the 30.06 signs to lose force of law. Make them just like the "no shirt, no shoes...." signs. Businesses can post them, but they must ask you to leave. If not, THEN it becomes a trespass.

What's the point? I don't see how this would make things any better.

In fact, I like the current law as it allows gun owners to identify businesses that don't want them spending their money there.

Additionally requiring them to verbally notify a person of that makes no sense, the sign is sufficient and, given the rights of property owners in this state, appropriate.

But I do support a legal liability being imposed upon businesses that put up 30.06/30.07 signs, an "insurance" that protects customers from any injury or harm they may receive while complying with the property owner's restrictions.

seeker_two

My posts don't count....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    That place east of Waco....
    GA is ahead of TX in the following areas:
    - Signs have no bearing in GA. I can carry anywhere (outside of government buildings) and only face prosecution if asked to leave and then refuse.
    - GA has had open carry for a long time (with a GWL). TX just got it
    - To get a GWL all you have to do is go to the local courthouse, get fingerprinted, pay a small fee and 6-8 weeks later you get your GWL. There are no unnecessary hoops to jump through like there are here in TX. Also, the GWL fee is only $80 for your first one and then $25-$50 for renewal.
    - With a GWL you can also carry in a bar if you wish (as long as the owner doesn't prohibit it, and if they do, see point #1). You can also carry in a church (again, as long as the church allows it).

TX does allow open carry, but it was years behind GA in that. TX allows campus carry (kind of) and GA doesn't but the bill that was vetoed in GA would have allowed all campus carry, while the TX bill is only for state schools. I would bet that campus carry will pass in GA very soon.

So as you can see, GA is still ahead of TX in firearms freedoms.
    Yeah....I think Georgia has us beat by a few steps. ...

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    The point would be its not a criminal violation unless they notify you are officially trespassing but you refuse to leave.

If the state allows 'No Trespassing' signs (or even purple stripes on trees or fence posts), then mandated 30.06/30.07 signs are no different.

In fact, be glad that Texas has actual specific signage requirements; and we aren't subject to any such printed notification such as 'gun buster' signs like some states allow!

busykngt

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    McKinney
    Nope. Any old sign (like a 'ghost buster' sign) is enough to tell most folks they don't want your business (like no shoes...no shirt).

Last edited:

busykngt

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    McKinney
    And trying to holding a business responsible AFTER a death, isn't gona due the *victim* much good. Plus for small businesses, they'd likely just declare bankruptcy and close their doors.

Last edited:

Shady

The One And Only
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    That is why you require them to protect you if they forbid you from protecting yourself. The cost of higher insurance and also the thought of being sued and Most of the signs would come down.

And trying to holding a business responsible AFTER a death, isn't gona due the *victim* much good. Plus for small businesses, they'd likely just declare bankruptcy and close their doors.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Nope. Any old sign (like a 'ghost buster' sign) is enough to tell most folks they don't want your business (like no shoes...no shirt).

Anything other than the specific 30.06 and 30.07 signs aren't enforceable in the state of Texas...and you have every right to ignore them despite what the business owners want.

busykngt

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    McKinney
    Things other than signs are enforceable in Texas like being handed a card or being told verbally to depart the premises. Don't follow those forms of notice and you'll be subject to trespass laws.

Top Bottom