• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HandgunHTR

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 10, 2014
    Look, I am not trying to get into a peeing contest about which state is "better". Having lived in both GA and TX, I had a much easier time carrying in GA than I do in TX. Easier to get my permit and as long as I kept it concealed I could carry just about anywhere without having to worry about breaking the law. Yes, TX has strong Castle Doctrine laws that have been emulated in other places. Yes, GA's open carry laws have been the model for other states as well.

What I am saying is that while both states are good places to live if you like firearms freedoms (as are KS and NV), each could be doing a bit better to get us closer to true 2A rights.
    DK Firearms

Maverick44

Youngest old man on TGT.
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Look, I am not trying to get into a peeing contest about which state is "better". Having lived in both GA and TX, I had a much easier time carrying in GA than I do in TX. Easier to get my permit and as long as I kept it concealed I could carry just about anywhere without having to worry about breaking the law. Yes, TX has strong Castle Doctrine laws that have been emulated in other places. Yes, GA's open carry laws have been the model for other states as well.

What I am saying is that while both states are good places to live if you like firearms freedoms (as are KS and NV), each could be doing a bit better to get us closer to true 2A rights.

You were tying to tell us that Georgia was somehow ahead of Texas as far as firearm rights go. You were wrong. :p

Dash Riprock

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Austin
    I don't know enough about Georgia's laws to weigh in on who's more gun-friendly, but the poster from Nevada hit the nail on the head earlier. We have too many signs, and they've become silly. Get rid of all the off-limits places including bars, so we don't have this constant confusion about why outdoor festivals and rock concerts and burger trailers post 51% signs. Who would really give a flip about a gun buster vs. a 30.06/30.07 if neither carried the force of law? It's stupid. Whatever holdover there is from the Confederacy (which was referenced earlier in the thread) should have long since been fixed and besides, other southern states don't seem to have this mess. I was in New Orleans last week and didn't see a single gunbuster sign even on bars in the French Quarter (no, I didn't carry there, but should have - yikes what a place).

Republicans have controlled both houses of the Legislature by near veto-proof majorities and every single statewide office for nearly a quarter of a century. Gun owners should be able to name what we want and it happens. We're overthinking all this stuff.

Last edited:

HandgunHTR

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 10, 2014
    You were tying to tell us that Georgia was somehow ahead of Texas as far as firearm rights go. You were wrong. :p

Well, according to Guns & Ammo, I was right...

http://www.gunsandammo.com/network-topics/culture-politics-network/best-states-for-gun-owners-2015/

And, outdoor hub...

http://www.outdoorhub.com/stories/2015/05/29/11-best-us-states-gun-owners/

oh, and Newsmax...

http://www.newsmax.com/FastFeatures/gun-laws-by-state-gun-friendly/2014/12/16/id/610953/

Granted, Texas isn't that far behind GA, but it is still behind.

Maverick44

Youngest old man on TGT.
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

1. Those articles are all out of date since new laws have gone into effect since they were written.

2. They're written by journalists, who I really don't have that high of an opinion of when it comes to stating actual facts.

3. The facts stated in this thread prove you to be wrong. Just in case you missed them, I will post the differences between the two state's laws once again.

TEXAS

Campus carry
    Slightly harder to get LTC
    Can carry into government buildings
    Castle Doctrine laws extend to protecting your property
    Certain signs fitting a set of requirements carry the weight of the law
    Complete civil immunity in even of justified shooting

GEORGIA

No campus carry
    Slightly easier to get LTC
    Cannot carry into government buildings
    Castle Doctrine laws do not extend to property
    Signs do not carry to weight of the law
    Partial civil immunity that only applies to the defense of a dwelling

So basically, Georgia makes it slightly more convenient for you to get a LTC, and they make it so that signs do not carry the weight of the law, but Texas allows you to carry your gun onto college campuses and government building while also offering better protection from a civil lawsuit in the event of a justified shooting, and stronger Castle Doctrine laws than those in Georgia.

While neither of these states are bad, or perfect, Texas definitely offers more firearm freedoms/protections than Georgia.

Last edited:

busykngt

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    McKinney
    What about Vermont (according to those articles)? Ranked well ahead of Texas AND well behind Texas. Vermont is ranked 2 vs. Texas 15th; Vermont ranked 11th vs. Texas didn't make their list and Vermont didn't make their list vs. Texas 7th. My point is: very inconsistent ranking results due to their criteria, bias or emphasis being placed on differing aspects of gun laws. Yields results which are hardly noteworthy but not unexpected when it comes to "grading" which state is best (with respect to their gun laws). And yet Arizona and Alaska get consistently top rankings in virtually every "poll" of this nature. AND it seems to work for their citizens without a bunch of silly signage laws.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!

Mowingmaniac 24/7

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2015
    What they (whoever that may constitute) do in other states isn't worth a bucket of warm spit.

You're in Texas.

People come on this forum and try to tell how much better things are done in the state they came from.

Please, please go back there or shut your pie hole about how much better they do things in other states.

XinTX

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 29, 2010
    South of Houston
    You can't go to jail or be subject to fine for violating a gun buster sign.

I wish all the signs in TX didn't hold force of law. If you bypass one of those "No shirt, no shoes" signs, it's not trespass. If you bypass a "No Pets" sign while carrying Fido, it's not trespass. But if you have a CCW, and NO ONE SEES IT, but you bypass a sign it is trespass. The 30.06 signs should have the same force of law the myriad other signs businesses post in TX. Practically nothing.

l8tr597

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 2, 2015
    What they (whoever that may constitute) do in other states isn't worth a bucket of warm spit.

You're in Texas.

People come on this forum and try to tell how much better things are done in the state they came from.

Please, please go back there or shut your pie hole about how much better they do things in other states.

Yeah, God forbid us hillbillies know what it's like north or the Mason Dixon!
    Speak for yourself, I for one don't live in a damn bubble, if others want to state a fact, YOU shut up and listen for once, after all, remember a thing called the 1st amendment? You probably don't, but it precludes idiots from stopping others from saying what they want, if you don't like it, MOVE to Zimbabwe or England, you'll love the carry laws in the latter!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

l8tr597

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 2, 2015
    Good grief, people sure do get upset when they think you insulted their preferred geographical area :laughing:

Right, but maybe not "preferred" as much as "the only place they've ever been"

Seems I've been further up a tree then a lot of "Texans" been out of town,

It appears we certainly don't need to hear about "otha parts of da country"!

Texans forget they are part of something bigger, and can't stand it when "facts" or "figures" show us wrong, it's part of the Red mentality down here.

45tex

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    Well said. There are smart people all over this country. Well except California

Shot placement is everything.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!

Texans forget they are part of something bigger, and can't stand it when "facts" or "figures" show us wrong, it's part of the Red mentality down here.

Thank God we have geniuses like you coming in here educating us Texas idiots about the big world that surrounds us!

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge

No, the rest of y'all forget: View attachment 39608

Last edited:

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    Good, jeesus, as a gun owner, I think an AR is nice enough without being full auto. Sure, I'd love to have one, and I could be trusted as well as countless others, but as an American with numerous guns and favorite 1911 models, it's plain to see I can not have one, so "cuckoo" cannot, it sucks, it blows, but I am sick of hearing losers and nut cases killing people at mass shootings, and If we let full auto come back, it would be worse, not only that, with a pre ban they're still out there and able to be bought! By a fairly large price tag

I thought I remembered some derp from l8tr597. This is his view on gun ownership, quoted from a post a couple of months ago.

Take that shit back to whatever shithole third world state you came from. Texas is full.

l8tr597

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 2, 2015
    I thought I remembered some derp from l8tr597. This is his view on gun ownership, quoted from a post a couple of months ago.

Take that shit back to whatever shithole third world state you came from. Texas is full.

What does that show?! What a troll

l8tr597

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 2, 2015

I'll go where I want, this is my country shit stain

scap99

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2010
    Cypress
    Yeah, God forbid us hillbillies know what it's like north or the Mason Dixon!
    Speak for yourself, I for one don't live in a damn bubble, if others want to state a fact, YOU shut up and listen for once, after all, remember a thing called the 1st amendment? You probably don't, but it precludes idiots from stopping others from saying what they want, if you don't like it, MOVE to Zimbabwe or England, you'll love the carry laws in the latter!

1st Amendment means the gov can't shut you up, and has nothing to do with an internet forum. You don't have any rights in here, so mind your manners or we will show you the door.

Top Bottom