• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CigarStix

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Houston, TX
    Consider the number of people who have signed up with TLS, myself included, who hope we never have to find out just how credible they are. However, if you also consider the speed at which information spreads through these gun forums, as soon as one TLS Member states, first hand, that he has been screwed by TLS and they don't do what they promise, TLS will be OUT OF BUSINESS in a Flash!

It's worth $10/month to have legal backup should the worst occur. If it turns out they aren't there to back me up, at least I'll have someone to SUE!

F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    .... However, if you also consider the speed at which information spreads through these gun forums, as soon as one TLS Member states, first hand, that he has been screwed by TLS and they don't do what they promise, TLS will be OUT OF BUSINESS in a Flash!

Good point. While there are several reasons a person with good experiences won't post about them, there are few reasons to not post bad experiences (unless they don't have internet access in jail)

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    My only real problem and concern with TLS, a number of the Texas concealed carry based organizations offering "support" to CHL holders and instructors, etc. is this. What I do know about TLS is that, quite literally, EVERY single person I have ever seen with my own two eyes and heard with my own two ears pitching this service has come off like a crappy used car salesman. It's to the degree, that something just smells fishy to me. I don't know what, just that the sales tactics of quite literally every single person I've seen talk about and try to pitch it all seem to be about the same. It may indeed be a valuable service. I think the only way to know for sure is not hearsay or conjecture, but actual documented cases of successful use of their services. At the end of the day, if it walks like a duck and talks like one, well you know. There are a whole hell of a lot of businesses in and catering to the firearms industry that really need to learn a thing or two about sales and customer interaction. It's now 2013, and there are still a whole lot of businesses in or supporting this industry that are a good 20-30 years behind the curve.

68blackbird

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2012
    Corpus Christi
    My only real problem and concern with TLS, a number of the Texas concealed carry based organizations offering "support" to CHL holders and instructors, etc. is this. What I do know about TLS is that, quite literally, EVERY single person I have ever seen with my own two eyes and heard with my own two ears pitching this service has come off like a crappy used car salesman. It's to the degree, that something just smells fishy to me. I don't know what, just that the sales tactics of quite literally every single person I've seen talk about and try to pitch it all seem to be about the same. It may indeed be a valuable service. I think the only way to know for sure is not hearsay or conjecture, but actual documented cases of successful use of their services. At the end of the day, if it walks like a duck and talks like one, well you know. There are a whole hell of a lot of businesses in and catering to the firearms industry that really need to learn a thing or two about sales and customer interaction. It's now 2013, and there are still a whole lot of businesses in or supporting this industry that are a good 20-30 years behind the curve.

Well, I just drank the kool aid...

I agree with everything you(Sig_Fiend) stated, that is why I started this thread here and in other forums. But as others have said, one could assume that if anyone had used TLS and didn't follow through, we would be able to find that somewhere, that is why I just signed up...with that being said, rest assured, if I ever do need their services, I will be on the tallest mountain, praising...or bashing them, whichever is appropriate.

TennisFreak

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2013

I have to agree with you. Sales pitch in my CHL class seemed more like a shady insurance salesman using the scare tactic. They literally gave the impression that if you dont use them and ANYTHING happens remotely involving your CHL or gun that you would be screwed.

Still I am considering using them just waiting to see if any concrete evidence pops up that is good or bad. So far on my own search I cant find anything at all.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    What I do know about TLS is that, quite literally, EVERY single person I have ever seen with my own two eyes and heard with my own two ears pitching this service has come off like a crappy used car salesman.
    Yeah a sales pitch can really turn me off, too. I also don't really understand why they only say "client-attorney privilege" when asked how many cases they've worked. No one is asking specifics. Seems like they would be proud to say something to the effect of "We've been in business for X years, have Y customers, and have worked Z cases with 0 convictions." Something like that would be all the sale's pitch most people would need.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    And just so there is no confusion, I'm not at all against TLS or any of the other self-defense-related insurance services. In fact, I think it could be a very good idea considering the sheer cost that can be involved with litigation. You can quite literally lose everything you own and have ever built, regardless of whether you were exonerated and did nothing wrong. It can bankrupt you and destroy your life. I just simply do not like some of the sales tactics, which is something that will typically prevent me from ever doing business with a company that uses that sort.

GRAYWOLF

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2012
    These guys did not come in to sell our class. Our instructors recommended we investigate and invest in some kind of service like this and even mentioned TLS, with the caveat that they did not know anything about them and could not endorse them.

I wonder if maybe the sales pitch is because they are lawyers, not salesmen. If they all give the same pitch, it is probably the pat sales pitch the lawyer presenting was trained on from TLS.

Maybe they con't give case information is because they are basically a federation of lawyers, rather than a single law firm with offices around the state/country.

I don't know, just offering up possible suggestions.

moshow9

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2011
    El Paso
    And just so there is no confusion, I'm not at all against TLS or any of the other self-defense-related insurance services.
    I only ask because I value your opinion, but do you pay for any service of this type?

No one was there to talk with us during our class but TLS was mentioned briefly by our instructor.

Tomservo92

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2012
    The Woodlands, TX
    I am currently signed up with them. Here's hoping I never have to find out if its a scam. Problem with a rainy day fund is there is no way it will be enough to pay for legal services to defend myself in a case. And don't lie to yourself, if you ever have to shoot someone in self defense, you are going to get sued by that "shining example of societies best" family and friends.

My wife and I both signed up with them. It seemed like a pretty cheap retainer fee to us.

TrevX

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Said the cop who has prepaid legal through either CLEAT or some other association.

What is YOUR plan? Do you have a solution?

court appointed lawyer? well...thats who I'll be using anyway if it comes down to it. My peace of mind is i'm still alive, and my family is unharmed. The rest will work itself out for the better or worse.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    Never heard of them, but your argument is very subjective. "They sound like used car salesmen." Got something more concrete? That's like "yer mama dresses you funny." Different things to different people.

Legal protection for $10 a month? I have a prepaid legal service, but it provides a discount should litigation be required. There is no way in hell you get complete representation for $10 a month.

Oh yeah. And attorney / client privilege has nothing to do with cases tried, cases won, etc. it prevents exposing who a client is, why they needed a lawyer, and case details. Statistics are not privileged to my knowledge. Any attorney worth his salt brags on it. (Your welcome Sig)

Last edited:

TrevX

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Nice....bankrupt the family - now, THAT's a plan!

bankrupt the family? what do you suggest, I pull money out of my ass? I barely make $10/hr. I'm going to protect my family or myself at all costs. I'm not going to lay down and get robbed just because I can't afford a proper lawyer guy.

Ranger60

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Taylor
    TLS did show up at my wife's CHL class last week, an all women's class, and she was sufficiently impressed that she did text me about signing up. Just as I type this I asked and she told me he was very professional and spent more time on what to do and do not do in an incident than on a sales pitch and was very professional. And I do trust her opinions, she does not buy snake oil. So, bottom line, she signed us up. Oh, I had been sorta considering it myself, but not seriously until her class.

TexasCajun

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 17, 2012
    Houston area
    Like everything else regard to self-defense, each person has to decide for themselves how much risk is acceptable. I was presented with their information, researched them, & researched other similar programs. I could not find any statistical information from any of the services that I was looking at. So the absence of this info was an apples to apples comparison. For me, being able to contact their office directly was a big factor - and not just in the event that I have to use my weapon. I've called their office on a few occasions to get advice on general legal questions as well as CHL-specific questions. Since their price model is based on a large membership each paying a small amount, I imagine that if they represent someone in a big, drawn out, media-focused trial; the rates would go up. YMMV, IANAL, etc...

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    bankrupt the family? what do you suggest, I pull money out of my ass? I barely make $10/hr. I'm going to protect my family or myself at all costs. I'm not going to lay down and get robbed just because I can't afford a proper lawyer guy.

Because you have the opportunity to insure yourself, but you refuse to do so - so you want me and other taxpayers to pay the bill for you.

Thanks.

TrevX

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Because you have the opportunity to insure yourself, but you refuse to do so - so you want me and other taxpayers to pay the bill for you.

Thanks.

Like another poster said....$10/mo isn't going to get you quality coverage. It just doesn't happen....I can't find anything on google about any court case results from these guys. Show me a link other than some testimonies from their own site lol.

Sent from my iPhone 4S on AT&T 4G using Tapatalk.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Like another poster said....$10/mo isn't going to get you quality coverage. It just doesn't happen....I can't find anything on google about any court case results from these guys. Show me a link other than some testimonies from their own site lol.

Sent from my iPhone 4S on AT&T 4G using Tapatalk.

You shouldn't guess to support your argument. They have defended people and have won. Go to their website and read the archived newsletters. Learn first, then comment

Last edited:
    Top Bottom