Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    cruise control motor, IAC valve motor, vent door motors, HVAC fan motor, throttle body motor, alternator, etc...

The alternator is debatable, especially the newer ones. The old style DC ones would be an easier sell but still a push.

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    302's are basically scrap iron. Can't make any real power or they split right down the middle of the lifter valley.

tXfactor

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2013
    Spring TX
    302 cheaper than LS? lmao. i can get a 300hp fuel-injected LS for <$1000, with low miles, complete with transmission and all computers and wiring.

or you can save your money and buy an EFI Ford 302 for $500 (will probably come with the car attached to it), and spend a couple grand getting it rebuilt and up to 300hp.

yep, the old ford sbf is the clear winner when it comes to cheap horsepower.

FAIL

Das Jared

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    Friendswood
    Be on the lookout For a black trans am ws6 at the next one, called flash. Will be putting the hurt on GTR's and UGR lambos

sent from Jennifer Lawrence's bedroom

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Look, much as I have a place in my heart for the old 302 and 351, the newer engines are actually better engineered for making more power, and yes to a degree that affects mods you can do to the point that you'll still make more power with the newer engine.

Having said that... I love the fact that I sold my still-running Bronco with 200K on it and the 5.0 had compression so low it never sounded like it'd catch when you cranked it but it always did. That engine had been overheated a handful of times and run out of oil once by my ex. Ten years of service out of that truck; the old 302 was a hell of an engine. I'd like to see another engine run with a failed fuel pressure regulator dead-heading the system (kind of hard to do with the new returnless, but...), running the engine off 100psi and dumping so much fuel into the engine that the crankcase is half filled with gasoline. That's something I've seen on the old EFI 302s and 351s. Couldn't believe it when I saw the first one.

Damn it, now I'm feeling all nostalgic, which means I'm old. Thanks.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Yeah, but damned if they didn't run. And the 4.9 always felt smoother than the 8s to me for some reason.

Fast cars are fun and all, but overall they're just a waste of money. Give me something I can drive for ten years without having to fix on a regular basis and I'm happy as it gets. Fast cars are always breaking.

Last edited:

RandomHero

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2011
    Northwest San Antonio
    Yeah, but damned if they didn't run. And the 4.9 always felt smoother than the 8s to me for some reason.

Fast cars are fun and all, but overall they're just a waste of money. Give me something I can drive for ten years without having to fix on a regular basis and I'm happy as it gets. Fast cars are always breaking.

youre in SA, im in SA, lets get a chumpcar/lemons racer going.

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    The 300cid inline six was pretty decent for sure, had one in an old 88 F-150. The top end was gone on mine though, valve guides wore out, valve seals probably didn't exist, and I had no desire to fix it. I'd just let it run out of oil, pressure gauge would drop to zero, and THEN I'd start looking for somewhere to stop for a couple quarts. Sometimes I'd have to drive 4-5 miles with no oil pressure :) Never did kill the bearings, oddly enough. Sold the truck for twice what I paid for it too! But an inline six (and a V12 by association) is inherently balanced, so they run smooth as glass. V10's, V8's, V6's, I4, I5, etc. have an unbalanced firing pattern.

One of the big reasons the Windsors, and the Clevelands for that matter, lasted so long was Ford kept the RPMs down. That's the primary reason diesels last so long - they don't spin very high.

Do I smell a SA vs. Houston Lemons challenge?

Top Bottom