• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Is a "gun cabinet" sufficient for gun storage?

• No. You need a safe. Period.

Votes: 10 20.4%
    • Yes and no. Cabinets are a stop-gap to be used only until you can afford a real safe.

Votes: 14 28.6%
    • Yes. Quality "gun cabinets", properly installed, with other security layers are enough protection.

Votes: 4 8.2%
    • It depends on the circumstances.

Votes: 24 49.0%
    • I'll post in the thread to tell you what other choice you should have included in the poll.

Votes: 1 2.0%

• Total voters
    • Poll closed .

ATXCardinal09

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 5, 2017
    Austin, TX
    I personally have a light-up, wooden gun cabinet, with a glass front.

It's completely useless at discouraging criminals, but it sure showcases my rifles nicely. :)

My older cabinet was a beautiful antique Mexican style cabinet. HUGE, thick wood, with metal bars on the glass and locks on the doors. A little more secure, but it was not able to defend itself against termites. Ended up in the trash....
    Gun Zone Deals

Attachments

• IMG_0197.jpg
      IMG_0197.jpg
      1.1 MB · Views: 277
    • IMG_9307.jpg
      IMG_9307.jpg
      1,004.4 KB · Views: 261
    Reactions: FKS

Rasputin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Cave Creek AZ
    I've got a Stackon safe that I bought from Dickhead's Sporting Goods several years ago. Nobody's ever tried to break into it. It gives me peace of mind, and maybe some security in knowing that if my guns are ever stolen and used in a crime, I can say that I had them properly stored. May keep me from getting sued.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    I've got a Stackon safe that I bought from Dickhead's Sporting Goods several years ago. Nobody's ever tried to break into it. It gives me peace of mind, and maybe some security in knowing that if my guns are ever stolen and used in a crime, I can say that I had them properly stored. May keep me from getting sued.
    Why would you get sued if your guns were stolen, and used in a crime?

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    No.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    "After a safety check and refinishing" the guns were good to go. I hate the idea that the finish must be sacrificed; I don't consider that full protection from the fire. Re-bluing to original quality for some of my old guns would cost far more than I paid for them.

However, just getting them back in functional condition was impressive.

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    I'm surprised the finishes were sorta toast but the polymer furniture was intact.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Would definitely not be enough protection for a gun whose monetary value comes from it's original finish.
    I see what you did there. :)

I like to think that the value of my guns comes from the way they function. But some of those old bluing jobs were art, the kind of art that most places don't seem willing to take the time to replicate. So if the finish of an old Colt revolver or one of my better S&W revolvers was ruined, I certainly could have it cleaned and cerakoted (or something) and it would be just as functional as it had ever been. Unfortunately, their monetary value would take a big hit.

Personally, my opinion of their value would be unchanged. If they work as smoothly and reliably, if they shoot as accurately, they're still worth, to me, whatever they were worth when I bought them. Or, stated another way, while I don't buy guns for their finish the marketplace doesn't feel the same way.

Hmmmm. I've got an old M10 S&W that's nothing special. I wonder if I should have it refinished in an interesting color scheme. What would a revolver look like with a fluorescent green cylinder and grips with electric yellow for the frame and barrel?

To put this back on an only mildly off-topic tangent, are there any gun finishes that stand up to high heat such that they might have survived that Youtube test without requiring refinishing? If so, what is it and what colors do they offer?

avvidclif

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 30, 2017
    Van Zandt County
    I have one of the older (over 20 yrs old) Winchester Gun Safes. Not the new 12ga wall model. The door is 1/4" steel plate. I'm not sure about the walls. It is a 24 gun safe and weighs over 600 lbs empty. Anyone that can haul it off can have it. With the guns and ammo (for ballast) in it it's probably around 800 lbs. If I could find another one I would buy it, the new "safes" just don't work for me. Mechanical lock so no electronics to mess up.

TxStetson

Opinionated and Irritable
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    The Big Country
    I have one of the older (over 20 yrs old) Winchester Gun Safes. Not the new 12ga wall model. The door is 1/4" steel plate. I'm not sure about the walls. It is a 24 gun safe and weighs over 600 lbs empty. Anyone that can haul it off can have it. With the guns and ammo (for ballast) in it it's probably around 800 lbs. If I could find another one I would buy it, the new "safes" just don't work for me. Mechanical lock so no electronics to mess up.

Welcome to the forum. Oh and I want it.

C. Stevens

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2017
    Gladewater, Tx
    I see what you did there. :)

I like to think that the value of my guns comes from the way they function. But some of those old bluing jobs were art, the kind of art that most places don't seem willing to take the time to replicate. So if the finish of an old Colt revolver or one of my better S&W revolvers was ruined, I certainly could have it cleaned and cerakoted (or something) and it would be just as functional as it had ever been. Unfortunately, their monetary value would take a big hit.

Personally, my opinion of their value would be unchanged. If they work as smoothly and reliably, if they shoot as accurately, they're still worth, to me, whatever they were worth when I bought them. Or, stated another way, while I don't buy guns for their finish the marketplace doesn't feel the same way.

Hmmmm. I've got an old M10 S&W that's nothing special. I wonder if I should have it refinished in an interesting color scheme. What would a revolver look like with a fluorescent green cylinder and grips with electric yellow for the frame and barrel?

To put this back on an only mildly off-topic tangent, are there any gun finishes that stand up to high heat such that they might have survived that Youtube test without requiring refinishing? If so, what is it and what colors do they offer?
    Cerakote makes a high temp coating. They use it for headers, turbos, engine parts. Not sure how it does in a fire.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Rasputin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Cave Creek AZ
    Seems to me that I've heard about people being sued because their firearms were not "properly secured", and were used in a crime after being stolen. I don't think its right, but given some of the screwy judges and juries of late, I'd rather not take a chance. It also reminds me of once I was talking to a lawyer about a potential lawsuit from a customer, and he said, "Anybody can sue anybody about anything any time." Doesn't mean their gonna win or get anything from me, but it does mean that I may have to hire a lawyer to defend myself. Just as soon not do that if I can avoid it.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Better put all your steak knives, and car keys in there as well.
    Maybe your hammers and all your tools also...

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    If I get to the point where I am worrying about how many ways I can get sued and locked up from someone else doing something wrong, just shoot me, for I have gone over the edge.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    I wish they had included a temp sensor inside the safe to see how hot it actually got, but several of the titanium nitride coatings should work...
    Capture.jpg

For aluminum parts... anodizing comes in just about any color you can think of and can withstand very high temps, but if the temperature rises quickly it can crack as the anodizing expands slower than the metal below it.

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    I wish they had included a temp sensor inside the safe to see how hot it actually got, but several of the titanium nitride coatings should work...
    Capture.jpg

For aluminum parts... anodizing comes in just about any color you can think of and can withstand very high temps, but if the temperature rises quickly it can crack as the anodizing expands slower than the metal below it.
    Some of these finishes (coatings) are used for machining bits and drills, not sure they would be available for gun finishes.

avvidclif

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 30, 2017
    Van Zandt County
    I wouldn't worry about the finish. If it got hot enough to damage that it could have changed the strength of the metal (IE: heat treatment)and that could cause problems.

Top Bottom