• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    Since I’m now in the market so to speak, I figure y’all can help me figure out which way to go. Now that I’ve had to day to think on this, we’re really getting down to wants vs needs.

What we need:
    - 5 1/2’ or 6’ bed
    - Owner maintability
    - Dedicated center console (no folding bench).
    - 4WD w/Locking rear axle
    - Transcooler

What we want
    - Creature comforts; the King Ranch trim we’ve had for the last 3 1/2 years was nice. Real nice. Cooled seats are the bomb.
    -360* camera
    -3/4 or 1 ton gasser
    - Integrated trailer brake

Looking at 85% of what we do, a Tacoma would fit the bill and likely obtainable without a loan. While the KR150 could pull a 28’ travel trailer we have access to, a Tacoma won’t from both a capacity and safety standpoint. We had really considering a heavier 32’ travel trailer about two years down the road. Also, I’ve never driven a Tacoma or the Nissan heavy half-ton although the Cummins is intriguing.

We had expected to keep the KR for at least six years and we have about 10 years until we can have the freedom to spend as much time in an RV as it takes to justify modern diesel motors. Even then, I’d really looking for gently used Freightliner M2 Sport Chassis/similarly equipped 106.

Let’s here what y’all think.
    ARJ Defense ad

jmohme

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2015
    My wife bought a new Tundra Capstone and loves it.

Me, not so much. Mainly, I hate the distracting large iPad permenantly affixed to the dash. I would be ok if I could figure out how to turn it off, but I dont think you can.
    I will say though that the twin turbo V6 is a strong performer.

Grumps21

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2021
    Houston
    Nissan/Cummins was discontinued, and from what I’ve read the Titan in general is on its way out the door. I think the gasser is the way to go unless you are running a hot shot service. Just look at what the yard crews are running, and that should tell you what’s the most bestest. Toyo/GM/Ferd/RAM, six one, half dozen the other.

**edit*** if you are planning on long term ownership, understand the maintenance/repair requirements of anything turbo or electrified (Ferd eco boost or RAM 4xe)

Last edited:

Mike_from_Texas

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 10, 2010
    North Texas
    What do you mean by “owner maintainability”? Really anything beyond basic maintenance items went out the window a long time ago.

The 28’ trailer is the biggest I would even consider towing with a 1/2 ton and even then there will be white knuckle times when towing.

The Titan is being discontinued in 24 and the Cummins was dropped 2-3 years ago. And realistically it didn’t perform any better towing than most modern V8 or TT V6 platforms.

If you want a V8, you better get it now. I expect them to be completely gone by 2025.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

PinnedandRecessed

Allegedly
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 11, 2019
    Hays County
    I'd be wary of anything Nissan makes. They have been in steady decline. Test drove a couple of their cars when we were looking for my wife. Alarming drivetrain noises galore with the sales rep saying "It's fine, it's supposed to do that. Did I tell you about the great warranty?". Yeah, F that.

Eastexasrick

Isn't it pretty to think so.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2022
    Naples TX.
    My 2016 Tundra has the 5.7 V8, max tow weight 12,500, max carry is1890 We have abused it ever so slightly. So far so good, one note about the suspension and ride, out of all the trucks I have driven the Tundra has the classist ride on the road,,

Last edited:

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    *edit*** if you are planning on long term ownership, understand the maintenance/repair requirements of anything turbo or electrified (Ferd eco boost or RAM 4xe)
    I've yet to be impressed with overall reliability of today's twin turbo gas setups, though the HP they put out is impressive.
    I'd be wary of anything Nissan makes...
    Generally, I am; we had a Versa for one of the kids cars and wife drives an Infiniti today. I've swore not another N/I product and I spoke with a co-worker who had a Cummins XD and he was less than impressed. I'm a little over a barrel on this so I'm trying to be open to everything.
    What do you mean by “owner maintainability”? ...
    Little things from battery compartment and spark plug/coil access to ease of wheel bearing replacement. If I don't like oil filter access, those are generally pretty easy to remote.
    No half ton is going to keep you happy.
    Find an F250 or Ram 2500.
    Those seem to haul the mail and offer creature comfort without the gm driveline issues.

It's down to the big 3 unless you compromise on towing capacity.
    This is what's in the back of my mind but as mentioned I'm really am trying to be open to everything and keeping in mind momma's ride is getting long in the tooth as well and she's been driving that more than twice as long as I owned the KR.

For all the Tundra guys, a 4:30 rear axle being the only option with the tow package makes me scratch my head on the transmission.

lbbf

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 30, 2017
    Lake Jackson
    If you are going to be towing a 28' trailer I would NOT get a 1/2 ton. I pull a 26' camper with my Tundra and it is all I would ever want to pull with it. A tacoma just isn't going to pull anything much more than a small boat or a couple of lawn mowers plus the inside is tiny compared to a 1/2 ton or larger. If you are not planning on towing Tundra all day long.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    You were satisfied with what you had, so get the same thing again.
    With a tracking device.

I was satisfied, but there were some limitations I occasionally faced. We may also just get the same thing again but we are also reconsidering wants vs needs because we don’t do car debt and we’re tying to not raid our transportation bucket since that bucket of money is planned to replace my wife’s car in the next year or so.

As for location tracking, we’re at the mercy of LE to prioritize auto theft. Unless there’s a child inside the car, auto theft is low priority and drops off the radar if a stolen vehicle is abandoned outside their jurisdiction. As far as I’m concerned the insurance company owns it, no different than any other total loss claim andI expect to be made whole financially.

Top Bottom