• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bowserb

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2011
    Houston, TX USA
    You and I were thinking alike. I went with the Mossberg MVP Patrol: http://www.mossberg.com/category/series/mvp-series/mvp-patrol/
    It was almost a tossup between the Ruger and the Mossberg MVP Predator for me. Being able to use AR magazines was a big plus for the Mossberg MVP. The Ruger barrel is a 1 in 8 twist vs 1 in 9 for the MVP Predator. In the end I fell back on an old idea: buy the one that costs less. Besides, I already have a Mossberg 20-gauge, but I own no Ruger firearms. Being a big believer in the liberals' desire for diversity, I will now have a more diverse gunsafe. Colt, Springfield Armory, Glock, Sig Sauer, Smith & Wesson, Wyndham Weaponry, Daisy (Red Ryder Carbine), Mossberg, and at long last, Ruger.

In diversity there is peace and happiness. ;-)
    Target Sports

AustinN4

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 27, 2013
    Austin
    It was almost a tossup between the Ruger and the Mossberg MVP Predator for me. Being able to use AR magazines was a big plus for the Mossberg MVP. The Ruger barrel is a 1 in 8 twist vs 1 in 9 for the MVP Predator. In the end I fell back on an old idea: buy the one that costs less.

The AR mags is what did it for me. That and the iron sights.

Last edited:

bowserb

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2011
    Houston, TX USA
    Back to the OP's question, here's what I think. If you are willing to no longer have an AR, then now buy an alternative: either an alternate semi auto like the Mini-14 or a bolt action rifle in 5.56. Then, just hold on to your AR. If there is a ban on sales of new AR's without a confiscation, then there will be a run on AR's in the stores, then followed by a demand for used AR's. That would seem the prudent time to sell your AR. Now they are cheap, and the only buyers will be looking for a dirt cheap deal...or looking to get an AR that is "off the books." After a ban, an AR will be worth a lot more than now. And even if there is a confiscation (labeled a mandatory buy back), since this is America, you'll probably still get a FMV price for your AR. Bottom line: If you have one, and you're not seriously pressed for cash, keep it.

Sadly, I think Hillary will win. No matter how much proof is disclosed of her unethical, illegal, and traitorous acts, the democrat hard liners--plus the welfare class, Hispanics, most of Hollywood, and muslims--are going to vote for her. The sick, lame, lazy, and haters of America are now in control of our elections.

AustinN4

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 27, 2013
    Austin
    Back to the OP's question, here's what I think. If you are willing to no longer have an AR, then now buy an alternative: either an alternate semi auto like the Mini-14 or a bolt action rifle in 5.56. Then, just hold on to your AR. If there is a ban on sales of new AR's without a confiscation, then there will be a run on AR's in the stores, then followed by a demand for used AR's. That would seem the prudent time to sell your AR. Now they are cheap, and the only buyers will be looking for a dirt cheap deal...or looking to get an AR that is "off the books." After a ban, an AR will be worth a lot more than now. And even if there is a confiscation (labeled a mandatory buy back), since this is America, you'll probably still get a FMV price for your AR. Bottom line: If you have one, and you're not seriously pressed for cash, keep it.

Yep, that was my conclusion (with the help of this thread) as well.

bowserb

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2011
    Houston, TX USA
    I can understand losing it in a boating accident, but a mandatory buy back? WTF! Do not comply...
    We can talk as tough as we want here and now. If a federal law is passed and a "buy back", aka confiscation, is implemented, we're not going to get away with non compliance. We're talking about a government that will arrest you and fine you or put you in prison for not complying, and they'll do the same to me. I don't know about you, but I don't consider wanting to keep my AR as a reason to go to prison. Anyway, once it is illegal to have one, what will you do with your AR?

I'll vote every incumbent I can out of office (I do that already.) I'll make them ask five times for census data. I'll send a fifty page tax return printed on recycled brown paper, instead of efile. I'll do whatever I can to make it harder for the federal government to work. I'm not going to prison for my AR15, though.

gll

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    Is there a gun you would risk your life and freedom for? The last one, maybe?

Just wondering. The nature of gun control in America is that it is progressive, obviously few people were willing to fight for their future right to own an unregistered FA Thompson in 1934.

I understand that different people have different considerations, age (for some, the rest of their life in jail might not be so long), family obligations (wife and children left without support), etc, but where is the 'line in the sand' or is the sand just eternally shifting?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

bowserb

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2011
    Houston, TX USA
    Good question, gll. Maybe that last one is the one you have to save. But then, if that's the case maybe you need to start by saving the first? I think that's what we're trying to do by keeping Hillary out of the Whitehouse, but a lot of voters are more afraid of Trump than Hillary. Frankly, I think they're as stupid as they probably think I am for continuing to support Trump.

Whatever else anyone thinks they know about our rights and the federal government's willingness to take them away, we need to remember Ruby Ridge, Waco, and a few others. The federal government has demonstrated willingness to kill American men, women, and innocent children--burn them alive if necessary--to make the point that they have the power. Every once in a while the "authorities" demonstrate again that we are not where the power is, as they did in Oregon recently. Look at my signature. Ayn Rand predicted it in 1963.
    -----
    "We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force."

Last edited:

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    We can talk as tough as we want here and now.
    I agree... I get a bunch of the same machismo whenever I try to have a serious conversation about when it would be the right time to flee. We really only have four choices. Live as a good subject with whatever freedoms are allowed, live as an outlaw, fight and die, or flee. I'm not going to live as a subject, so I have to choose between the other three. Not all criminals become convicts, so that might be the best route.

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    We can talk as tough as we want here and now. If a federal law is passed and a "buy back", aka confiscation, is implemented, we're not going to get away with non compliance. We're talking about a government that will arrest you and fine you or put you in prison for not complying, and they'll do the same to me. I don't know about you, but I don't consider wanting to keep my AR as a reason to go to prison. Anyway, once it is illegal to have one, what will you do with your AR?

I'll vote every incumbent I can out of office (I do that already.) I'll make them ask five times for census data. I'll send a fifty page tax return printed on recycled brown paper, instead of efile. I'll do whatever I can to make it harder for the federal government to work. I'm not going to prison for my AR15, though.
    I can't totally agree with your idea that a mandatory buy-back/confiscation would be successful for the government. There are a tremendous amount of guns that have been bought and sold legally many times with absolutely no paper trail. I would guess millions over the last 25 to 30 years and many before that were never on anybody's books. I just can't believe the government has the infrastructure to accomplish something like that.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    I can't totally agree with your idea that a mandatory buy-back/confiscation would be successful for the government. There are a tremendous amount of guns that have been bought and sold legally many times with absolutely no paper trail. I would guess millions over the last 25 to 30 years and many before that were never on anybody's books. I just can't believe the government has the infrastructure to accomplish something like that.
    That's why they want universal background checks so badly. They certainly don't have the manpower to enforce it completely (hence my statement that not all criminals become convicts), but if they can build a database that can flag people who might not be in compliance, it'll make it much easier to identify the easier targets and go after people one by one.

Honestly, I don't see an Australian style buy back ever happening. What will happen is they'll apply an NFA style registry to more and more firearm types until it includes them all. They'll also try to make it so that you can only store and shoot your guns at a club. Germany's gun laws is the model...

Last edited:

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    What about the millions of guns that have no registry/transfer attached to them now? I'm just saying if they started today, not only would it take months or even years to get a system in place, there would still be the millions they could not get their hands on.

AustinN4

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 27, 2013
    Austin
    I just can't believe the government has the infrastructure to accomplish something like that.

They just have to do door to door searches of those of us on various forums as a start. And don't kid yourself - they know who you are and where you live.

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    We can talk as tough as we want here and now. If a federal law is passed and a "buy back", aka confiscation, is implemented, we're not going to get away with non compliance.

It's not about talking tough, as you call it. What non compliance is about is that you are choosing not to disarm and uneven the playing field when it comes to you and someone who may one day mean to harm you and your family and who will certainly not comply with any law. For some, that may be the government, but in all likelihood, it's going to be groups of folks who are going to "get there's" and if that is your property or your children, then I would say it would be unwise to disarm yourself. If that means non compliance, then many people are willing to take that chance. Again, that is not "chest thumping" or "talking tough", it's reality. There are evil people out there who will take, by force, you and yours for all that you are worth, including your life. They will not play by the rules and bring a single shot 22 to do it because the law says that is what is legal. You can do what you want of course, but don't attempt to dismiss folks who say they will not comply with a particular law by calling their choice as simply "tough talk", I don't believe you know any of them in that very personal sense.

Last edited:

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    They just have to do door to door searches of those of us on various forums as a start. And don't kid yourself - they know who you are and where you live.

And how long after "they" start will few, if any, have guns in the house? They do not have the staff. They don't know me or what I've got, etc., etc. That's not to say they couldn't locate me if they thought it was worth it (which it's not). "They" seemingly can do anything they want but "they" absolutely do not have the resources to "overtake" the populous of the US. I do not believe it could come to total insurrection at some point in out lifetimes, or even our children's lifetimes. But, my guess is only as good as anybody else's.

AustinN4

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 27, 2013
    Austin
    And how long after "they" start will few, if any, have guns in the house? They do not have the staff. They don't know me or what I've got, etc., etc. That's not to say they couldn't locate me if they thought it was worth it (which it's not). "They" seemingly can do anything they want but "they" absolutely do not have the resources to "overtake" the populous of the US. I do not believe it could come to total insurrection at some point in out lifetimes, or even our children's lifetimes. But, my guess is only as good as anybody else's.

All that is needed to get most in line would be a few high profile arrests around the country based on what I described in #94 as most owners are law abiding. Sure there would be some hold outs, but most law abiding owners have too much to lose.

bowserb

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2011
    Houston, TX USA
    That's why they want universal background checks so badly. They certainly don't have the manpower to enforce it completely (hence my statement that not all criminals become convicts), but if they can build a database that can flag people who might not be in compliance, it'll make it much easier to identify the easier targets and go after people one by one.

Honestly, I don't see an Australian style buy back ever happening. What will happen is they'll apply an NFA style registry to more and more firearm types until it includes them all. They'll also try to make it so that you can only store and shoot your guns at a club. Germany's gun laws is the model...
    Ding ding ding! We have a winner. Dan, you've nailed it. I just hope those assholes at the DNC and Hillary's private email managers aren't reading here. That's it. You may maintain "ownership" of your guns, but they must be at a secure armory/gun club and not at your home where they are a threat to burglars, home invaders and the government inspectors. Licensing, taxes, permits, and inspections will assure that there are fairly few gun clubs.

Vote Hillary and lose your 2nd Amendment rights.

bowserb

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2011
    Houston, TX USA
    All that is needed to get most in line would be a few high profile arrests around the country based on what I described in #94 as most owners are law abiding. Sure there would be some hold outs, but most law abiding owners have too much to lose.
    You're right. According to DPS, CHL/LTC holders are only 5% as likely to commit a crime as the general public overall and only 40% as likely as a LEO.

Top Bottom