• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cbp210

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2013
    Humble, TX
    NRA must know their revenue is way down and that WLP (whether guilty or innocent) is the cause. He needs to step down for the sake of the organization. I won't even discuss Charles Cotton.
    I am not defending WLP but throughout the years of being a coach for a shooting team I have been noticing lots of families within various teams sign up their kids with NRA youth membership and thus it spreads to other families.

DougC

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2021
    Texas

Serious Question: Are Any of You Getting a Return on This Investment? asks Washington Gun Law channel

Washington Gun Law President, William Kirk, responds to a ton of comments [he] got about another video which discussed the NRA's efforts to obtain injunctive relief for its members from ATF's Pistol Brace Rule. This triggered many of you to leave less than flattering comments about America's largest Second Amendment organization, which is why we want to ask you "are you getting a return on your investment with the NRA?" So help educate [him] as to what you think of this once powerful organization that has seemingly lost its way and arm yourself with education today.

I watched the video and he does good job of not telling you what to think but all the stuff to think about. I have been a member of NRA for many years along with Texas State Rifle Assoc. In recent years I joined GOA, 2A Foundation, Firearms Policy Coalition and others. All to add to their membership numbers. When 2A groups lobby politicians numbers matter.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas

Serious Question: Are Any of You Getting a Return on This Investment? asks Washington Gun Law channel

Washington Gun Law President, William Kirk, responds to a ton of comments [he] got about another video which discussed the NRA's efforts to obtain injunctive relief for its members from ATF's Pistol Brace Rule. This triggered many of you to leave less than flattering comments about America's largest Second Amendment organization, which is why we want to ask you "are you getting a return on your investment with the NRA?" So help educate [him] as to what you think of this once powerful organization that has seemingly lost its way and arm yourself with education today.

I watched the video and he does good job of not telling you what to think but all the stuff to think about. I have been a member of NRA for many years along with Texas State Rifle Assoc. In recent years I joined GOA, 2A Foundation, Firearms Policy Coalition and others. All to add to their membership numbers. When 2A groups lobby politicians numbers matter.

most people have no problems about the nra specifically but it's current leadership!

Gordo

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2023
    San Antonio
    This always reminds me WLP...
    974744ae-3fe2-4ef0-ae7c-d2edee2eabad_text.gif

c6fe8476-da00-4eb7-ad38-373d3fa16a5c_text.gif

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    Yes I heard about this problem throughout the years and I have determined that WLP is the problem. In the last NRA election there was a strong call for Allen West to oust him but that failed. it is a shame and I hope the WLP issue is solved without the loss of the institution itself.
    <>

The way the “Nominating Committee” was designed in wake of the “Knox Rebellion” cemented Wayne in place until he resigns or dies.

Early-on, WLP was seen as an energetic “Good Guy”. Sadly, as in the ancient truism, “Power Corrupted” !

Many of us chose to stop all donations until Wayne is gone, one way or the other.

Our only “third hope” would be a massive grass-roots write-in to replace the entire Board at once. Highly unlikely !

leVieux

<>

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    The NRA may just as well count their blessings and close shop.
    Bathwater and baby at the same time? The NRA has competitions, training, and plenty of other stuff that no one else provides at that scale with that perceived authority. If they close shop, the shooting world will lose far more than most people realize.

They've cut member services and that's left me peeved. If they start cutting the things they uniquely provide, I'll agree with you. But until then, folks should realize that not all the value is gone.

A1Oni

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2021
    Tejas
    Bathwater and baby at the same time? The NRA has competitions, training, and plenty of other stuff that no one else provides at that scale with that perceived authority. If they close shop, the shooting world will lose far more than most people realize.

They've cut member services and that's left me peeved. If they start cutting the things they uniquely provide, I'll agree with you. But until then, folks should realize that not all the value is gone.
    the NRA doesnt support competitions alone and they can get by just fine with the help of other organizations, which most shooting sports have some sort of centralized system anyway, and with the advent of the FPC and GOA who actually get shit done the NRA is only great because stupid soccer moms yell at it instead of gun rights organizations that actually file lawsuits and don't just ride on the coattails of other peoples work.

Byrd666

Flyin' 'round in circles........somewhere
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Hill County
    Agreed that not all value is gone, but real close. They do, for now, provide a few unique programs and accreditations in those programs that are only found through the NRA. But, looking closely at what the USCCA is doing and providing for available options, it doesn't appear as though it will be too awful long before they are in the back seat for those as well.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    <>

The way the “Nominating Committee” was designed in wake of the “Knox Rebellion” cemented Wayne in place until he resigns or dies.

Early-on, WLP was seen as an energetic “Good Guy”. Sadly, as in the ancient truism, “Power Corrupted” !

Many of us chose to stop all donations until Wayne is gone, one way or the other.

Our only “third hope” would be a massive grass-roots write-in to replace the entire Board at once. Highly unlikely !

leVieux

<>
    absolute power absolutely corrupts!

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine

Yes, but Wayne has already been well-paid. We aren’t willing to fund his grandiose golden parachute!

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    We aren’t willing to fund his grandiose golden parachute!
    That's a particular worry of mine. Even if he decided to leave voluntarily, I wouldn't be surprised if his severance would be so costly it would permanently cripple the organization.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    the NRA doesnt support competitions alone
    No, they don't. But they're the only folks who support the, for lack of a better word, traditional target sports. USA Shooting will never take up the mantle of American bullseye, for example. If the NRA goes under without spinning off an organization that supports those things, many shooting sports (that are, I admit, stereotypes of what non-shooters think shooting sports are) would die. I'd hate to see them go.
    most shooting sports have some sort of centralized system
    That's one of the most irritating things to me because it's not true across multiple disciplines. Everybody reinvents the wheel over and over again. Sure, there's always a set of disciplines that share some infrastructure but it's never a majority.

I once read (and I believe it) that shooting is the second most popular participatory sport in the USA after running. The reason shooting isn't thought of that way by the general public is that it's so incredibly varied, fractured, and decentralized. There are people passionately devoted to formal shooting sports that exist at only one club. There are so many different minor disciplines that no one of them achieves the critical mass necessary to be visible to the general public. That means that the uneducated public thinks of shooting as something related to crime, exclusively, and are often shocked when it's reported as part of sports coverage. And that only happens every 4 years at the Olympics.

There was a time when the NRA national championships in particular disciplines actually made the sports pages nationwide. Only centralization under NRA sanction made that possible.

But that hasn't been true for decades so perhaps nothing would be lost if the competitions administration functions of the NRA went away. I would still grieve for the loss of what was, once, a generally acknowledged place where good shooters gather, a place recognized not just by the participants but by the public at large.

Of course, if that happened it might open other opportunities. I actually believe that I can (actually, have) designed a shooting sport for both rifle and pistol that could combine all the skills required in NRA traditional rifle and pistol sport as well as the International disciplines and do it in a fun, easy-to-administer way. I've never bothered to so much as make up a single prototype target because I know that even if the sport I designed caught on, that standard for "catching on" in the shooting world is so low that it would most likely become just another minor oddity in the sport as a whole.

The NRA made it possible, 70 years ago, for almost all formal shooting competitions to be administered by a single entity that could actually make those sports visible to the public. Then that began to fade, they gave up administering the International sports (major mistake, imo), and things have gone downhill from there.

Something of real value was lost.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    They do, for now, provide a few unique programs and accreditations in those programs that are only found through the NRA. But, looking closely at what the USCCA is doing and providing for available options, it doesn't appear as though it will be too awful long before they are in the back seat for those as well.
    Do you think it's actually possible that the USCCA or anyone else could someday achieve the status and legal acceptance of the NRA? For example, unless you have an LE or private security cert, to become an LTC instructor in Texas, you must have previously gotten a training cert from the NRA. It's my impression that most instructors got their LTC cert after getting an NRA Basic Pistol cert. (If I'm wrong, I hope somebody will correct me. Also, I know there's an additional exception for people with other certs who teach regularly but I've never known how that works and it's my impression that it's rare.)

Will anyone ever supplant the NRA in roles like that? Is that even politically possible?

Those are sincere questions. My initial impression is that the answer to both is "no" but I'm interested in hearing other perspectives.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Thaskinny1
    Top Bottom