• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    The running theory is that the route was planned for the pilot vehicle to completely block oncoming traffic so the truck could begin the turn from the far left lane. I'm not sure whose fault that would be. I'm sure at least some will go on the driver though.

Looking at the video he could not clear the the arm mechanism.
    Guns International

PinnedandRecessed

Allegedly
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 11, 2019
    Hays County
    Ya think that driver got to pee in a cup?
    Employers are typically required to test for drugs/alcohol after an accident. Declining the test usually means an automatic fail. A while back I was rear ended by another commercial vehicle (ironically from the same company I was driving for). First thing beyond the initial paramedic once over was, OK! Now go to the medical lab and get your samples taken within the next hour or else your fired.

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    I imagine that the rear dolly had a hydraulic steering system. This requires the rear pilot to unpin the rotation plate on the rear unit. Then fire up a gas engine driven hydraulic pump.
    Test the remote controls, or strap in a rear driver seat. Then the rear can be steered around the obstacles.
    I think everyone did their job and the timing of the train was unfortunate.

BBL

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 8, 2021
    TX
    Employers are typically required to test for drugs/alcohol after an accident.
    LOL I wouldn't call this an accident. A crash, wreck, whatever else. But there is nothing accidental about many f***-ups. I just prefer people did not use the word "accident" every time they do something dumb.
    In this case, somebody carefully planned a route, got it approved, got permits and then somebody else decided to ignore the SOP and just blatantly did something wrong, resulting in this collision. Procedures and checklists were written for a reason (because as humans, we tend to half-ass a lot of stuff). And bad things happen when undisciplined people ignore procedure and take shortcuts. (pun as hell intended here)

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    LOL I wouldn't call this an accident. A crash, wreck, whatever else. But there is nothing accidental about many f***-ups. I just prefer people did not use the word "accident" every time they do something dumb.
    In this case, somebody carefully planned a route, got it approved, got permits and then somebody else decided to ignore the SOP and just blatantly did something wrong, resulting in this collision. Procedures and checklists were written for a reason (because as humans, we tend to half-ass a lot of stuff). And bad things happen when undisciplined people ignore procedure and take shortcuts. (pun as hell intended here)
    Just curious as to how you have all these details about the incident.

How do you know anyone ignored any rules or safety guidelines?

Are you privy to some insider information that the rest of us don't know about?

Here's one I'll bet some may not have even considered. There could have been a track warrant for the train not to proceed until the truck and it's load had cleared the track, and the train engineer might have gotten it, or ignored it.

Driver may have made some mistakes, or the pilot vehicle took a wrong turn. But it seems you are making assumptions without knowing all the facts of what happened.

BBL

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 8, 2021
    TX
    Just curious as to how you have all these details about the incident.

How do you know anyone ignored any rules or safety guidelines?

Are you privy to some insider information that the rest of us don't know about?

Here's one I'll bet some may not have even considered. There could have been a track warrant for the train not to proceed until the truck and it's load had cleared the track, and the train engineer might have gotten it, or ignored it.

Driver may have made some mistakes, or the pilot vehicle took a wrong turn. But it seems you are making assumptions without knowing all the facts of what happened.
    I am not placing blame on the rig driver, lead driver or any specific person because, as you already kindly pointed out, we do not have sufficient information.
    I am making the silly assumption that had proper procedure been followed, this would not have happened.
    Would you care to disagree?

Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Texarkana - Across The Border
    Driver was an idiot. I've driven through that intersection a zillion times - no way he could make that turn. Saw that this morning - quite a few co-workers in Luling. Probably the most excitement there since the last Watermelon Thump.

A news article says other trucks also hauling the same type of turbines had already made it successfully:

Witnesses say trucks had already brought a few turbine blades across the tracks, but this particular tractor-trailer didn't quite make the difficult turn.

Source:

Orbie

Born Texan
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 21, 2011
    San Antonio
    Our track warrants are given in dark territory and the entire route from San Antonio to Houston is signaled territory. Those signals tell us when to proceed, slow down and stop. If that trucking company had contacted Union Pacific in advance, then a mandatory directive may have been given. However, that did not happen on that day.

Thats 50 mph track and the train that hit the truck was loaded with all sorts of hazmat. That driver is extremely lucky that the train did not derail and dump ethanol, chlorine or hydrochloric acid all over the town of Luling.

jordanmills

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2009
    Pearland, TX
    Our track warrants are given in dark territory and the entire route from San Antonio to Houston is signaled territory. Those signals tell us when to proceed, slow down and stop. If that trucking company had contacted Union Pacific in advance, then a mandatory directive may have been given. However, that did not happen on that day.

Thats 50 mph track and the train that hit the truck was loaded with all sorts of hazmat. That driver is extremely lucky that the train did not derail and dump ethanol, chlorine or hydrochloric acid all over the town of Luling.
    Also... don't they normally have signs at rail crossings with a 1-800 number and a unique identifier? I hear those are pretty effective at getting anything on that line stopped ASAP. Not a guarantee, but a whole lot better than waiting for the engineer to see you and decide he can at least slow the train down even if he doesn't have time to stop any more.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    I am not placing blame on the rig driver, lead driver or any specific person because, as you already kindly pointed out, we do not have sufficient information.
    I am making the silly assumption that had proper procedure been followed, this would not have happened.
    Would you care to disagree?
    Again, you are making an assumption that proper procedure wasn't followed. Your previous post was full of assumptions.

Accidents can happen even when proper procedures are followed. That might be why they are called accidents.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019

What is considered a preventable accident?

The National Safety Council defines a preventable crash as “one in which the driver failed to exercise every reasonable precaution to prevent the accident.” Many fleets use this as their standard definition when categorizing a crash, but this definition has a real problem: “Reasonable” is highly subjective.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Busy rookies
    Top Bottom