• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    IYO, just how capable is the Iranian military?
    Doofusses with rifles or ?

To sum it up, regionally they are much like Toby Keith...not as good as they once was, but good enough once as they ever were. DIA sums it up nicely here:
    "To achieve its goals, Iran continues to rely on its unconventional warfare elements and asymmetric capabilities— intended to exploit the perceived weaknesses of a superior adversary—to provide deterrence and project power. This combination of lethal conventional capabilities and proxy forces poses a persistent threat. The Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps Qods Force leads Iranian power projection through a complex network of state and non-state partners and militant proxies. Iran’s conventional military emphasizes niche capabilities and guerilla style tactics against its technologically advanced adversaries. Its substantial arsenal of ballistic missiles is designed to overwhelm U.S. forces and our partners in the region. Its swarms of small boats, large inventory of naval mines, and arsenal of anti-ship missiles can severely disrupt maritime traffic in the Strait of Hormuz—a strategic chokepoint critical to global trade. Each of these forces are becoming increasingly survivable, precise, and responsive."
    IMO, moderately capable. Some older US equipment, but they've been working to acquire other equipment.
    Most of their US equipment is not mission capable. This declassified CIA assessment from 1984 goes in to great detail, but the reality almost 100% of the F-14 fleet is not airworthy and the AIM-54s that went with the F-14 sale have long since gone past their shelf-life.

As mentioned elsewhere in this thread, there are essentially three areas of concern in the region. First and foremost is the anti-ship capability that could result in an actual or de facto closure of the Strait of Hormuz. While I think this has the lowest likelihood to occur, it does have the highest impact and, depending on how they close it, could be the most dangerous course of action.

Next, is the ballistic missile threat. This is worrisome in that Iran is capable of striking every major US troop concentration point in the area. The regional ability to defend against a full-on onslaught is limited and most of the damage wouldn't directly impact the nations in which those locations are. The counter is that the GCC member nations might get pissed enough to decide the Shiites are now crazy enough to justify a regional response, though I doubt that will occur.

Finally is the indirect paramilitary and terrorist organization threat. Iran can decide to go sideways, directing and supporting their proxies in a distributed fight against US targets. I see this as most likely course of action and so long as they stay away from political targets such as our embassies and instead focus on the smaller troop concentrations, the least dangerous course of action for the Iranians to take.
    ARJ Defense ad

Ioannes

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2019
    US
    So I heard the cat-hatter catladies are protesting in blue cities today. Didn't know they had so much love for islamic tyrannies.

Personally I am not into starting neocon wars but you know what? I've heard "death to america" from these guys my entire lifetime and I remember that they gave passage to the 9/11 terrorists so..... Might as well put a definitive end to it.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    Thankfully, sanctions enacted under Trump have erased that sum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Nobody knows for certain how much Iran got from other countries under the agreement. Between 50 and 150 billion is believed to have been the amount. I also believe Iran is still in trade with counties like Russia and China.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    nc_ohc=JZ70bz-ppdIAQma2FwEk8YMJ5FXJK0ihjse1M1xajyXYjCRW_9E_8imGQ&_nc_pt=1&_nc_ht=scontent-dfw5-1.jpg

Attachments

• nc_ohc=JZ70bz-ppdIAQma2FwEk8YMJ5FXJK0ihjse1M1xajyXYjCRW_9E_8imGQ&_nc_pt=1&_nc_ht=scontent-dfw5-1.jpg
      nc_ohc=JZ70bz-ppdIAQma2FwEk8YMJ5FXJK0ihjse1M1xajyXYjCRW_9E_8imGQ&_nc_pt=1&_nc_ht=scontent-dfw5-1.jpg
      56 KB · Views: 262

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    They don't have to. They are the major destabilizing factor in the region. Underestimating them is a mistake.

I answered the question he asked: "IYO, just how capable is the Iranian military?" Their military is not very capable, 8 years, they could not even defeat Iraq. No significant air, sea or land forces. Completely unable to project power anywhere. Terrorism, that is all they are capable of.

JColumbus

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 28, 2012
    Trump was patient when they attacked Saudi, downed our drone, and attacked shipping. He tried patience & Obama-esque tactics. Anyone that says Trump is being rash is blind.

Iran only sees patience as weakness. This time they went too far & got shot in the foot. Do it again and we'll shoot you in the face Ft Worth style.

I'd call it closer to a shot in the balls.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!

Attachments

• khwsxovjwoqcujkoslpj.jpg
      khwsxovjwoqcujkoslpj.jpg
      83.3 KB · Views: 644
    • Highway%20of%20Death0.jpg
      Highway%20of%20Death0.jpg
      84.1 KB · Views: 618
    • highway_of_death_iraq_3.jpg
      highway_of_death_iraq_3.jpg
      329.3 KB · Views: 620
    • 818562779.jpg
      818562779.jpg
      72.5 KB · Views: 606
    • 229273451.jpg
      229273451.jpg
      102.6 KB · Views: 629
    • 2196413131.jpg
      2196413131.jpg
      92.2 KB · Views: 670

Antares

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2015
    Seabrook, TX
    I don't underestimate them remember they did a lot of swapping scientists with Russia, China and NK they could have a nuclear bomb somewhere. I also believe that they have a huge terrorist network both here in the U.S. , Israel and Europe. With the climate in the U.S. as it is with all the Dems polarized against us a couple of big terrorist attacks on their part may change the balance of power to them. I just don't think a war with Iran will unite us as a country as it did in WWII I hope I am wrong. Another worry would be NK and that little idiot decide to do something on his end screw up everything.

I think if we beat them decisively in a short amount of time that will lessen the chance of anyone else joining the fray. Remember load your mags. IMHO

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    Top Bottom