• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    If it is such a great motivator, why are so many type II patients failing to take control?
    Partly its the ultra processed food in the American diet.

I dont know of too many "dieticians" that warn people of seed oils, processed foods, NNS, and all the other ways we are slowly poisoning ourselves with a fork and spoon.

I see alot of "moderation" talk but not too many diet "experts" are willing to go against the govt My Plate recommendations

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    Depends... with high triglycerides the doc warned me that ice cream and beer are a deadly combo. :what:
    True statement because both are full of sugar..which is a main driver behind high Triglycerides...its not the calories as much as the sugar that does the damage.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Partly its the ultra processed food in the American diet.

I dont know of too many "dieticians" that warn people of seed oils, processed foods, NNS, and all the other ways we are slowly poisoning ourselves with a fork and spoon.

I see alot of "moderation" talk but not too many diet "experts" are willing to go against the govt My Plate recommendations
    For the most part, the diet most people in the USA eat is not the one our bodies evolved to use. Getting closer to that would help. It would also be time-consuming and the food from McDonald's seems to somehow give us a greater kick, so "Why bother?" is the attitude too many people develop. They don't even do it on purpose; it's just the way they were brought up. I know that's the trap that caught me.

Government recommendations are too infuriating for me to discuss so I'll pass on making any comment on that part of your post. At least for now. :)

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    For the most part, the diet most people in the USA eat is not the one our bodies evolved to use. Getting closer to that would help. It would also be time-consuming and the food from McDonald's seems to somehow give us a greater kick, so "Why bother?" is the attitude too many people develop. They don't even do it on purpose; it's just the way they were brought up.

I really think when people say that diabetes runs in their family, it sometimes has much to do with family eating habits, how they were taught to eat and lifestyle

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    I really think when people say that diabetes runs in their family, it sometimes has much to do with family eating habits, how they were taught to eat and lifestyle
    honestly for me diabetes runs in my mother's side of the family but since i grew up with my father i just don't have a lot of insight into their dietary Habits pretty much ust my father's side of the family!

bbbass

Looking Up!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 2, 2020
    NE Orygun
    True statement because both are full of sugar..which is a main driver behind high Triglycerides...its not the calories as much as the sugar that does the damage.

Gonna have to disagree. The "tri" in triglycerides refers to the lipid chains, of which there are 3, that bind to glycerol. Glycerol is not "sugar" per se although it does have a sweet taste. Hmmm, I wonder if nitroglycerine is sweet.

1676778225645.png

The damage of triglycerides is caused by dyslipidemia, too much blood fat. This can bind to arterial walls, as well as get sludgy and make it hard for the heart to pump. It is also involved in Metabolic Syndrome and often bound up with type II as a malfunction of the system that handles triglycerides.

High blood sugar is different in that it is poison to organs and cells. The dementia risk of type II is due to a variety of factors, (including one now ludicrously termed "Type 3" diabetes for insulin resistance of the brain.) Small vessel damage in the brain occurs in much the same way that it does to the lower legs, causing Small Vessel Ischemic Dementia.

I've been on a diet for triglycerides for many years. If you ask an endocrinologist, they will tell you not to eat excess fats, particularly when combined with sugar. Donuts, pies, candy bars.

I have adult acne, when I went on Accutane a few years ago, it required a very high fat diet. I was eating avocados, olive oil, eggs, etc. darn near a keto. Within a month, my triglycerides went to 1000 and my docs required me to quit the program.

Similar to type II genetic predisposition, the same occurs with triglyceride metabolism. I haven't seen mine go under 200 since I was 30 no matter what I did or what meds I take. My dad had the same.

bbbass

Looking Up!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 2, 2020
    NE Orygun

W/O the gene = no diabetes. I don't care what they eat and their lifestyle.

But if one has the gene, family eating can be a time bomb.

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    Gonna have to disagree. The "tri" in triglycerides refers to the lipid chains, of which there are 3, that bind to glycerol. Glycerol is not "sugar" per se although it does have a sweet taste. Hmmm, I wonder if nitroglycerine is sweet.

View attachment 373265

The damage of triglycerides is caused by dyslipidemia, too much blood fat. This can bind to arterial walls, as well as get sludgy and make it hard for the heart to pump. It is also involved in Metabolic Syndrome and often bound up with type II as a malfunction of the system that handles triglycerides.

High blood sugar is different in that it is poison to organs and cells. The dementia risk of type II is due to a variety of factors, (including one now ludicrously termed "Type 3" diabetes for insulin resistance of the brain.) Small vessel damage in the brain occurs in much the same way that it does to the lower legs, causing Small Vessel Ischemic Dementia.

I've been on a diet for triglycerides for many years. If you ask an endocrinologist, they will tell you not to eat excess fats, particularly when combined with sugar. Donuts, pies, candy bars.

I have adult acne, when I went on Accutane a few years ago, it required a very high fat diet. I was eating avocados, olive oil, eggs, etc. darn near a keto. Within a month, my triglycerides went to 1000 and my docs required me to quit the program.

Similar to type II genetic predisposition, the same occurs with triglyceride metabolism. I haven't seen mine go under 200 since I was 30 no matter what I did or what meds I take. My dad had the same.
    Ive read his book Metabolical and listened to many of his lectures

He seems to know what he is talking about and has the bona fides to back it up

SARGE67

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2021
    Texas
    I have all my printed lab reports for each 6 months going back years. Always "pre-diabetes". High glucose, triglycerides, A1C knocking on 6.8, last November declared "onset diabetes" after the labs. I tried to eat right on weekends but during the week I had so many places to choose the wrong foods twice a day, all the good burger joints, fried chicken places, greasy stuff elsewhere, etc, day after day. Then one day last December I suddenly couldn't feel my brake pedal while backing up and truck got home and has parked ever since. That issue is being addressed and while being stuck at home, my joyriding gourmet has ended. I actually eat much more each day, focused on the "correct foods" we buy each Sunday at Whole Foods or anywhere offering those choices. On weekends I tend to splurge one meal on a definite no-no, greasy cheeseburger and onion rings that suddenly my body doesn't like anymore or something else. Listen to your body after giving it a break, it will talk to you. Diabetes is all about food, food, food. I can't wait until my next labs in May. I've lost 15 pounds eating the right foods all day !!

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    z@vmax is correct our siet is really one thing we have great control over inbeing healthy personally i have cut almost all sugars out of my dietcut out all sodasand switched over to sugar free snacks also have cut out most breads and potatoes as wellalong with most fruitsas well

innominate

Asian Cajun
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Austin
    We see the effects diabetes has on arteries almost everyday. High blood sugar can ravage the arteries. To the point that stents or bypass will not help. I can not speak to what you will hear from your primary care Dr but our cardiologists talk to patients all the time about lifestyle changes. But we live in a Burger King world. I want it my way and I want it for $2.

I can't imagine how difficult it would be to live life with diabetes. I love carbs.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GiantLoomis
    Top Bottom