• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    We see the effects diabetes has on arteries almost everyday. High blood sugar can ravage the arteries. To the point that stents or bypass will not help. I can not speak to what you will hear from your primary care Dr but our cardiologists talk to patients all the time about lifestyle changes. But we live in a Burger King world. I want it my way and I want it for $2.

I can't imagine how difficult it would be to live life with diabetes. I love carbs.
    iloved thecarbs but the didn't love me backi can't say that theycaused my strokesbut i'm guessing they were huge contributing factors along with other health issues!

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    I've been off most my meds for a while. Labs all normal even outstanding for a couple years.

I've been trying to gain about 10 lbs for this chemo and I have to eat like a horse to do it but one thing I don't crave is sugar dessert type stuff.

Also, one thing is that once you get the weight going in the right direction it doesn't take much exercise to maintain A1c as long as you're not over doing carbs.

ETA, I haven't walked in exactly a month and onky been eating normally for 2 weeks. I will be interested in seeing my next labs cause I don't expect to be walking much. That neck surgery kicked my ars.

Last edited:

Shady

The One And Only
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    z@vmax is correct our siet is really one thing we have great control over inbeing healthy personally i have cut almost all sugars out of my dietcut out all sodasand switched over to sugar free snacks also have cut out most breads and potatoes as wellalong with most fruitsas well

Sugar free snacks may not be a good choice if they contain any of the fake sugars your body will assume its real sugar and act accordingly. Its one of the reasons Diet Soda will raise your blood sugar levels.

Hell even the veggies that actually taste good like carrots are bad for your numbers. Granted they are better than a snickers :).

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    I've gained the 10 lbs and feel like a blob. 222.
    I walked this morning for the first time in a month. I know I will lose it just as quick but it's frustrating.

Tomorrow I walk the dogs

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    Sugar free snacks may not be a good choice if they contain any of the fake sugars your body will assume its real sugar and act accordingly. Its one of the reasons Diet Soda will raise your blood sugar levels.

Hell even the veggies that actually taste good like carrots are bad for your numbers. Granted they are better than a snickers :).
    Actually in my understanding sugar substitutes, NNS Non Nutritive Sweeteners is the proper name for them,, show very little evidence that they can spike blood glucose, but there is some evidence that show they can spike insulin. It is believed that the brain perceives the sweetness from the taste buds and it signals the pancreas to release insulin thinking that you have just taken in sugar …weird, I know.

NNS aren’t the only things that can spike insulin but while not effecting glucose. It is shown that very lean cuts of meat can also spike insulin.
    That is why some amount of fats are needed to temper the insulin response.

Now for the dark side of NNS.

Sucralose, or Splenda is one of the worst. They make it by taking sugar and binding a chlorine molecule to it. So your taste buds get the sugar taste but your gut is prevented from getting the glucose response due to being bound to the chlorine.. seems like a good deal right? The dark side is that Sucralose is there is a lot of data that shows it damages your gut biome and causes digestive issues and extended use has been linked to other health issues.
    I will post more about the other NNS later if you wish.

Fastest1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 12, 2014
    Sure you can reverse T2. According to my doctor, my numbers dont indicate that I have it now.
    I followed Dr. Jason Fung’s info in the Obesity Code and the Diabetes Code.
    Good food choices and fasting can change your world for the better.

And rather than take the advice of people you dont know telling you which sweeteners are safe or dont cause a spike. Buy a cheap blood glucose meter and check for yourself. Simple to do and provides info on your body’s response to each ingestion if you so desire.
    If smart you will avoid sugars real or fake and same with flours and breads. Regardless if they are labeled “keto” etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Buy a cheap blood glucose meter
    Running slightly off-topic, this is one of the best illustrations I've ever seen of how "Big Pharma" would like to help us manage but not cure diseases that make them money.

In the USA, blood glucose meters are cheap; they're often free. The testing strips vary widely but $1 each isn't unusual and a close testing regimen may require using 4 per day.

In Australia, the exact same meters cost $250-$300. The testing strips are typically 5 cents apiece.

The kicker? The same meter made by the same company in each location will be slightly altered so that they don't take the same test strips. You can't get a cheap meter in the USA and order cheap test strips from Australia; they don't work together.

I remember how angry I got when HP altered the firmware of their printers so they would only take genuine HP (read: much more expensive) toner cartridges. The situation with the meters and strips is the same incarnation of greed but even more detestable since it involves making it harder for people to be too healthy.

People who make treatments for health problems don't want you to be too healthy. It's an amazingly cruel concept but a very real one.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    That's a story I'd like to hear sometime!!!
    It's not a story, just a fact. Nitro is used as medicine for heart patients. It relieves angina and if it doesn't, it's time to start thinking about going to the hospital.

The easiest way for me to check my sister's Nitro to see if it's still good is to take a spray under my tongue. If it's tasteless and nothing happens, it's either a useless formulation or it's been stored improperly or it's too old. If it's incredibly bitter, burns the tongue and instantly gives me a raging headache, it's good to go.

Again off topic, but I'll drop this here. The most common prescription for generic nitroglycerin (i.e. the stuff CVS stocks) is worthless. It's made by Dynamit Nobel so you'd think it would be the best. It's definitely not. You want the stuff made by G. Pohl Boskamp in Germany. The American importer changes occasionally so you really can't shop by brand name but must shop by manufacturer. The good stuff comes in bottles that look like this:

1-1552715963.jpeg

Although some of the data is out of date, I've discussed this before, here.

dsgrey

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    Denton County
    That may be a joke but I can tell you it's bitter, the most incredibly bitter thing I've ever tasted.
    At the pharmacy the other day, someone was trying to get a nitro nasal spray filled (everyone out of stock) so they got the normal tablets. Nitro dissolves fast under the tongue so I'm not sure of the benefit for a spray.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Nitro dissolves fast under the tongue so I'm not sure of the benefit for a spray.
    Nitro pills go stale and useless in a couple of months. If you carry them in a keychain bottle, they break up into a useless powder even faster.

People who actually use lots of nitro all the time may be willing to put up with that since they're cycling through their supply quickly. People who need their nitro to stay potent and usable for long periods will gravitate to the spray.

Lots of personal factors go into the decision. If you want to discuss further, let's take it to PMs. It's too off-topic for this thread.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    There does not seem to be a consensus at all with regard to the effect of diet drinks on blood sugar.
    ---

So this year, scientists from Leicester Clinical Research Centre in the United Kingdom decided to create an air-tight case against the Splenda-phobic crowd. They conducted an impeccably-designed, randomized controlled trial4 that investigated the effect of Splenda intake three times per day for 12 weeks. The amount of Splenda consumed was pretty hefty – the equivalent of five cans of diet soda each day.

Forty-seven healthy men with no personal or family histories of diabetes participated in the study. Half of the group was randomly selected to be the Splenda consumers. The other half took a placebo.

The study evaluated key measures in the prevention and control of type 2 diabetes, including:

• HbA1c, a measure of long-term blood sugar control
    • Fasting glucose
    • Post-prandial glucose (blood sugar taken immediately after a meal)
    • Insulin
    • C-peptide, a substance produced by the beta cells that helps evaluate the ability of the pancreas to produce insulin

Splenda | No effect on blood sugar​

In this new study, blood tests showed no significant differences between the Splenda and placebo groups for HbA1c, fasting glucose, post-pandrial glucose, insulin, and C-peptide. The researchers concluded that Splenda did not elevate any of these risk factors for diabetes.

“… not different from water”​

Of Splenda’s effect, they wrote: “There is basically a flat-line glucose and insulin response relative to fasting baseline, or a response not different from water, with acute sucralose [Splenda] exposure…”

---
    Aspartame is one of the most commonly used artificial sweeteners. Brand names include NutraSweet and Equal. Aspartame is a low-calorie sweetener that’s 180 times sweeter than sugar and often used as a sugar substitute.

It contains no calories or carbohydrates, so it’ll have no effect on blood glucose levels.

Aspartame is made of two naturally occurring amino acids, which are the protein building blocks for humans.

These two amino acids — aspartic acid and phenylalanine — are found in meats, grains, and milk. Aspartame breaks down into these two amino acids and a small amount of methanol, and it doesn’t accumulate in the body.

The negative press around aspartame is mostly based upon animal studies.

Because rats don’t metabolize in the same way as humans and most of these studies use extreme doses of the sweeteners for testing, the results don’t reflect on the safety of aspartame for humans using a typical amount daily.

Another commonly heard urban myth is that artificial sweeteners make your body crave sugar.

In fact, many studies have found that people who replace full-calorie beverages with low-calorie sweetened ones tend to make healthier dietary choices and eat fewer sweets, subsequently losing weight.
    ---
    Diet soda does not have a direct impact on your blood sugar levels and insulin response, but being overweight does, especially if you carry your weight in your belly. A higher body mass index, or BMI, can put you at risk for Type 2 diabetes.

Fat stored in your belly has a more harmful effect on your body than fat stored evenly all over. This belly fat is a risk factor for metabolic syndrome, along with high blood sugar levels, low levels of high-density lipoproteins (HDLs, or good cholesterol) and high levels of triglycerides, which can lead to high blood pressure. People who regularly drink diet soda tend to have more belly fat than people who don't. {Correlation is not causation. This could be because people with belly fat are more likely to drink diet soda, while people in good shape do not drink diet soda to the same degree. This article's conclusions cannot be backed by logic.}

The artificial sweeteners in diet soda can also affect the balance of healthy bacteria in your gut. This can disrupt your insulin sensitivity, which, indirectly, can have a negative effect on your body's ability to regulate blood sugar levels.
    ---
    Nonnutritive sweeteners (NNS), such as sucralose, have been reported to have metabolic effects in animal models. However, the relevance of these findings to human subjects is not clear.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Running slightly off-topic, this is one of the best illustrations I've ever seen of how "Big Pharma" would like to help us manage but not cure diseases that make them money.

In the USA, blood glucose meters are cheap; they're often free. The testing strips vary widely but $1 each isn't unusual and a close testing regimen may require using 4 per day.

In Australia, the exact same meters cost $250-$300. The testing strips are typically 5 cents apiece.

The kicker? The same meter made by the same company in each location will be slightly altered so that they don't take the same test strips. You can't get a cheap meter in the USA and order cheap test strips from Australia; they don't work together.

I remember how angry I got when HP altered the firmware of their printers so they would only take genuine HP (read: much more expensive) toner cartridges. The situation with the meters and strips is the same incarnation of greed but even more detestable since it involves making it harder for people to be too healthy.

People who make treatments for health problems don't want you to be too healthy. It's an amazingly cruel concept but a very real one.
    Old, old business strategy. The money isn't in the razor, its in the razor blades.

Shady

The One And Only
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    you can trust tests that may have been paid for by the company that comes out like a rose.

When I dropped diet soda from my daily intake in under a week my numbers had dropped about 60 points.

then went onto keto and after about 6 months my numbers had gotten below 120 and the Dr started dropping my meds.

about 4 years ago I was off all meds and was always under 100 anytime I checked as long as it was not right after I ate.

I am a stress eater and when my mom passed and a few other things happened I went back to fast food and after 2 years of crap eating I am now back on meds.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    you can trust tests that may have been paid for by the company that comes out like a rose.

When I dropped diet soda from my daily intake in under a week my numbers had dropped about 60 points.

then went onto keto and after about 6 months my numbers had gotten below 120 and the Dr started dropping my meds.

about 4 years ago I was off all meds and was always under 100 anytime I checked as long as it was not right after I ate.

I am a stress eater and when my mom passed and a few other things happened I went back to fast food and after 2 years of crap eating I am now back on meds.
    Mine dropped when I switched to diet drinks. Lost weight too, which helps.

Top Bottom