• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Robb in Austin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2012
    Gtown
    Did anyone see the movie "The Purge"? I'm watching it On Demand and it's an interesting premise.
    In 2022, any crime (including murder) is legal for a 12hr period one day a year. The story revolves around a family surviving the night. They are fortunate enough to live in a home which is hardened fairly well.

But it got me to thinking; How would I handle that sort of scenario?

I think I'd do like the family in the movie and hunker down for the night. But, I think I'd like to have access to a sniper position in order to keep people back if they get too close. And have the yard/perimeter secured nicely.

What would you do?

GlockOwner

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    Dallas (Oak Cliff)
    I saw that movie. I have no idea what I'd actually do in that situation, but i'd like to THINK i'd do what that family did, only be much better armed and have a better plan. It's been a while since I saw it, but if I remember right, they didn't have much of a plan.

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    Haven't seen it so I don't know the particulars of the movie, but I figure, in that situation, I would make sure my insurance policies are all up to date, possibly ship out any irreplaceable items and get the heck out of town for a while. :)

Robb in Austin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2012
    Gtown
    Haven't seen it so I don't know the particulars of the movie, but I figure, in that situation, I would make sure my insurance policies are all up to date, possibly ship out any irreplaceable items and get the heck out of town for a while. :)

That's a good idea too; bug out. You'd have to have a very remote location which would need lots of perimeters though.

AngeliaH

Life's Peachy
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Central Texas
    I have not seen the movie yet either. Don't make enemies. Don't let people know what you have.
    If it is an every year thing, have a hide out. Move all your good stuff to the hideout. I figure
    most people would hunker down. The criminals would be out in abundance. Target practice?

Robb in Austin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2012
    Gtown
    I was assuming the movie was based on a regional event and not national or larger.

Yeah, it was a national event.

Regarding the hiding of things, the movie portrayed it was mostly a night of murder. If this were a real situation, my guess is people would _mostly_ resort to stealing stuff with killing someone coming into play when trying to steal. Although, I'm sure some folk would just go on a killing spree too.
    I think it would make one consider all those people who have really hurt you over the years and you would have to reconcile if killing them in revenge would be worth the psychological pain it might cause.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    I think it would make one consider all those people who have really hurt you over the years and you would have to reconcile if killing them in revenge would be worth the psychological pain it might cause.
    Many years ago, I was told by someone I cared about that I should live every day as if it were my last. Without thinking, I blurted out "No way! I can't kill that many people in 24 hours!"

I hope I've matured a bit since then. ;)

Saltyag2010

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 11, 2014
    Flour Bluff, America
    If this ever came to be how would the gun fearing liberals live long enough to vote?
    How would all these fat assholes getting amputated because they won't lose weight or take care of their diabetes live through it?
    I feel like half Corpus Christi couldn't make it through the situation. Too fat to defend themselves.

Robb in Austin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2012
    Gtown
    If this ever came to be how would the gun fearing liberals live long enough to vote?
    How would all these fat $#@!s getting amputated because they won't lose weight or take care of their diabetes live through it?
    I feel like half Corpus Christi couldn't make it through the situation. Too fat to defend themselves.

No, really. How do you REALLY feel?

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    if anything goes, why not rig your whole house with claymores and POMZ-2s and let them bitches bring it?

Robb in Austin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2012
    Gtown
    if anything goes, why not rig your whole house with claymores and POMZ-2s and let them bitches bring it?

The movie listed any weapons below "class 4" as a go. I assume claymores wouldn't work, but I get your point.

In the movie, they weren't attacked until the kid went full retard and let someone in. The attackers were after the guy who was let in.

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    One thing mentioned in the movie was that the 'poor couldn't afford to protect themselves'.

That would surely give one an incentive to be, if not successful, at the very least, a productive member in society....It just might save their life. :)

Honestly, it might have the effect of culling the weak, dependent and apathetic, however that may also include those, who by no fault of their own, are defenseless due to medical condition or age. However, I suppose you need to crack a few eggs to make an omelette.

Top Bottom