• ...and so much more!
  • jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    I always have serious doubts with programs like this. Especially when there are a lot of unknowns. It is toxic to carnivores and there is still a lot they don't know about this type of use with it. From what I know of them, poison prgrams usually have adverse consequences. Sometimes worse than the problem it was meant to solve. Very skeptical.

sent from an idgit coffeeholic
    Hurley's Gold

V-Tach

Watching While the Sheep Graze
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    I always have serious doubts with programs like this. Especially when there are a lot of unknowns. It is toxic to carnivores and there is still a lot they don't know about this type of use with it. From what I know of them, poison prgrams usually have adverse consequences. Sometimes worse than the problem it was meant to solve. Very skeptical.

sent from an idgit coffeeholic

Skepticism when it comes to Government programs is always wise..........

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Maybe I'm missing something here, but with all that it takes to get them to eat or how will this be more productive than trapping.

And if it's not more productive, it seems any risk introduced is unnecessary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Governors20

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 11, 2012
    Austin
    I read this has a $900,000 grant associated with it. That would buy a lot of helicopter time, and it would be more productive. That being said, we were contacted by a helicopter company that wanted to fly over our property and shoot hogs. The company's clients pay several grand for a few hours to fly around and shoot pigs. The deal sucked since we would be trading a pig problem for a dead pig and buzzard problem. The only one who profited was the helicopter company so we told them no.

Double Naught Spy

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    North Texas
    Maybe I'm missing something here, but with all that it takes to get them to eat or how will this be more productive than trapping.

And if it's not more productive, it seems any risk introduced is unnecessary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think the belief is that hogs won't get smart about eating poison bait as they won't associate death with the food being consumed, but they do get smart about traps. So in that regard, it would be more productive than trapping. The downside is that you have to teach the hogs how to use the feeders that will allow them access to the food. These are specialty feeders that will have to be purchased for the job and people with larger properties, will need numerous feeders. Once trained, hogs can be poisoned over a period of days before the poison being lethal. That cycle would take about a month from start to finish if all goes well. Then you would have to restart with any new pigs that come in.

Austin paper article says "treated" hogs will have blue fat which will warn hog-eating hunters.

You have to wonder how this will work for trappers taking hogs to feral hog inspection and buying stations. It may be a lot easier to tell if a feral hog has been poisoned when you cut it open, but how do you tell while it is still alive?

Governors20

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 11, 2012
    Austin
    From a rancher stand point, I cant see too many people doing this. Cost versus benefit isn't there. Its only going to kill the dumb ones that stick around long enough to get enough poison, and those can be shot. I have corn on the ground 365 days a year, and have hogs hit it once never to be seen again.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    Austin paper article says "treated" hogs will have blue fat which will warn hog-eating hunters.
    Good to know. Apparently many rat poisons will also do this.

outdoorhub-photos-wild-pig-with-blue-fat-found-in-california-2015-09-10_15-26-04.jpg

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    While I am all for eradicating feral pigs, I am pretty much against the use of this particular poison. The nitrate research they see doing was very promising, but this.... no.

karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    Take an ad out in the Lafayette Daily Advertiser offering a bounty of $100/tail ...
    .... or $2.50 lb/Andouille, and the right to sell it on Amazon.

:evil:

Governors20

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 11, 2012
    Austin
    I found a paper called EXPOSURE OF NON-TARGET WILDLIFE TO ANTICOAGULANT RODENTICIDES IN CALIFORNIA that specifically links rodenticides to this phenomenon (fat deposits dyed blue).

It seems that the blue coloring comes directly from DuPont Oil Blue A or Keystone Oil Blue A, which is a dye used to attract rodents to the bright color while usually deterring birds and other animals.

Double Naught Spy

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    North Texas
    One thing the PDF really does show is how labor intensive use of Kaput will be. This alone may be the reason for the downfall of using this bait...

https://www3.epa.gov/pesticides/chem_search/ppls/072500-00026-20170103.pdf

Check out this section...
    SURVEILLANCE AND FOLLOW-UP:
    Dead hogs may begin to appear in or near the treatment areas within 4 to 7
    days after bait placement. Applicators must return to the treatment site within 4 days after the first bait placements
    were made, and at 2- to 4-day intervals thereafter, to inspect the site for evidence of dead or dying feral hogs and/or
    dead nontarget animals. All carcasses found must be disposed of properly. Carcasses may be buried on site in
    holes dug deeply enough that the entire carcass is at least 18 inches below the ground surface. Cover buried
    carcasses up to the level of the surrounding ground. If burial is not practical (e.g., due to frozen or extremely hard
    ground) and other disposal methods are allowed by State and local authorities, carcasses may be disposed of by
    other methods to ensure that carcasses are not accessible to scavengers. Continue to monitor the treatment area to
    collect and dispose of feral hogs and to search for non-target animals for at least two weeks after the removal of all
    bait from the hog feeders. Deaths of any animals other than feral hogs that appear to be the result of baiting with this
    product must be reported to State authorities.

I can't imagine anybody staying with this program for very long. How many farmers do you think that are going to bury dozens or hundreds of hogs? You can bet that folks will not be reporting their by-kills. Proper use of this product means some very significant commits of time, labor, and apparently land to use this product properly.

roadkill

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2013
    How many people will walk into the brush looking for dead hogs? Drone use maybe but doubtful. Thick brush will require footwork. Unless they see them driving in the senderos or improved pastures they're not gonna put much effort into it.

Governors20

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 11, 2012
    Austin
    What's the going rate for burying a sounder of pigs 18 inches deep? Pest control companies are going to need construction equipment.

Double Naught Spy

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    North Texas
    Right, so this "solution" to the hog problem isn't as easy as being perceived like people think about rat poison (set and forget). This is going to be a very high maintenance, not to mention expensive, endeavor. There are all sorts of ways to get this wrong. I can't imagine this being adopted on any sort of large scale.

Top Bottom