• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    All this noise about folks shooting the property up.

Reverse lease just like the Orkin man. Bonded and insured. You don't hire the guy standing out in the front of 7/11. Spray and pray idiots. You demand a precision pest dispatcher.

Ammo is money. Excess bullets cuts into profit.
    Venture Surplus ad

Last edited:

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    You're not going to get any argument from me. I consider myself very fortunate that my neighbor trusts me enough to let me target shoot and harvest any hogs I see in his hay field.
    Sure would like to see a better solution than poison, though.

I agree. Not a fan of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    All this noise about folks shooting the property up.

Reverse lease just like the Orkin man. Bonded and insured. You don't hire the guy standing out in the front of 7/11. Spray and pray idiots. You demand a precision pest dispatcher.

Ammo is money. Excess bullets cuts into profit.

Wth are you talking about, because nothing said about allowing hunters even comes close to "bonded and insured", and by that point it's cheaper just to have someone trap them.

All noise to you, spend money and buy a few hundred acres, then see how trusting you are.

TTplinker

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2017
    ATX
    Yesterday I was listening to Ag Commissioner Sid Miller in the Appropriations committee say that he wants to cut the feral hog abatement program but keep that money and reassign it. After being asked by House members... Miller gave Louisiana and Australia as examples for using warfarin and not have any problems. FYI the people in Texas who want to use the poison will have to have a state issued poison control license. Miller also stated that Texas no long has a hog problem.

TAZ

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2008
    Round Rock
    Thanks for answering my stupid questions. Like
    I said I only hung paper simply cause of the costs involved. Should have known the bubba crowd would screw stuff up. Every person who I know hunts is not the kind to trash places that enables their hobby. Guess I'm just sheltered.

Not too keep on poison either way.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I thought the same. Never understood how people could trash property that they were allowed to hunt. But the more I started looking the more I saw.

Like most things, it only takes a few to ruin it.

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    Thanks for answering my stupid questions. Like
    I said I only hung paper simply cause of the costs involved. Should have known the bubba crowd would screw stuff up. Every person who I know hunts is not the kind to trash places that enables their hobby. Guess I'm just sheltered.

Not too keep on poison either way.

Too bad. "Bubba" owns most of the property.
    Tide is turning, slowly.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    The hog hunters on Houston's east side are pretty pissed about the poisoning plan. The possibility of other critters ingesting the carcasses and being poisoned, too is just too likely.

Animals being killed by the poison after eating a dead hog is one thing. Around here, we EAT that pork and families feed their kids with it. I've dined on pork hunted off of this land, many times and there are packages of the meat in my tiny freezer! I'm sorry about other animals dying, but we are concerned about PEOPLE being poisoned.

The only reason that I don't hunt hogs is that my freezer is too small. Friends have that meat in vacuum packed and sealed packages, then they're stacked in the freezers from top to bottom! I'm looking into getting a large freezer and I'll darned sure eat the meat!

Just a thought about a solution................. On the TV show Alaska State Troopers, they deal with large animals like Moose being killed by cars & trucks. They don't waste the meat. Animals are butchered and the meat is distributed to needy families. Nothing goes to waste!

Lets put a bounty on the pigs then butcher the hogs and consume the meat. That makes a Hell of a lot more sense than killing the animal and destroying the pork. A program like that would feed a lot of hungry Texans IF the meat isn't tainted by poison.

Flash

Last edited:

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    In many states the meat processing and distribution is handled by non profits. Usually deer shot under game management plans.

Not sure about funding the bounty side, that would still come down to the fact that many don't want a bunch of hunters tromping around on their property.

Governors20

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 11, 2012
    Austin
    After talking to my brother in law, this is to be geared toward urban area like golf courses and places where shooting hogs is restricted. I doubt we will see this in a rural setting. I know we wont use this on our land.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    Yes, people like that exist. There have even been a couple stupid TV shows about it. I don't know why they aren't utilized more. I guess the pigs aren't really as pig a problem as people say they are.

Yesterday I was listening to Ag Commissioner Sid Miller in the Appropriations committee say that he wants to cut the feral hog abatement program but keep that money and reassign it.
    Perfect opportunity to create a bounty.
    ...or better yet figure out a way to return the funds to the people.

TTplinker

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2017
    ATX
    Yes, people like that exist. There have even been a couple stupid TV shows about it. I don't know why they aren't utilized more. I guess the pigs aren't really as pig a problem as people say they are.

Perfect opportunity to create a bounty.
    ...or better yet figure out a way to return the funds to the people.

LOL, the money isn't going back to the people.

peeps

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 31, 2014
    Use the money to pay hunters to reap the hogs and give the meat to the non-profit processing places that give food to the needy. Then money has gone back to the people.

TTplinker

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2017
    ATX
    Use the money to pay hunters to reap the hogs and give the meat to the non-profit processing places that give food to the needy. Then money has gone back to the people.

That sounds like a great idea but I'm willing to bet the Ag Commissioner has other plans for that money.

roadkill

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2013
    Cattle must be removed for 90 days. That might be the deal breaker for its widespread use.

08c2f804a757dee274d619e6ac857378.jpg

seeker_two

My posts don't count....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    That place east of Waco....

That sounds like a great idea but I'm willing to bet the Ag Commissioner has other plans for that money.

Does that really sound like something a government-type would consider doing?.....

Top Bottom