• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ready.Fire.Aim

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I don't think he's read the label. If he did he'd know the meat was toxic.

SIr, the actual meat isn't of concern for toxicity, it's the hog liver that concentrates warfarin, you would have to literally eat pounds of hog liver daily to have any detrimental impact.

Blue dye added to the product colors the meat so humans know not to consume the animal.

The key factors are Consumption rates ( dosage) , Concentration, and Susceptibility.

Facts:

Warfarin at 0.005 percent (which is the level stated on the “Kaput” label) as a feral hog toxicant has been shown to have a lower level of residue in hog meat, especially in muscle tissue, which is what humans typically consume. One person would have to eat 2.2 pounds of hog liver, where the warfarin is concentrated in the body, to achieve the same exposure as a human would receive in one therapeutic dose of warfarin.”

“Secondary exposure to other animals is low because warfarin in targeted animals (hogs) is generally too low to be toxic to either predator or scavenger.”

“Warfarin has been studied extensively in animals and is practically non-toxic to birds. Due to the insolubility of warfarin in water, there should be no impact on aquatic life.

Non-target wildlife, livestock and domestic pets would have to ingest extremely large quantities over the course of several days to reach a toxic level of warfarin in the bloodstream."

--------

I realize some will never accept any control product, so no attempt to convince them.

I will responsibly use a product that can reduce this constant amount of large production losses and land repairs from an out of control, feral, non-game animal.

If a safer product than warfarin is found and still effective I will transition to it. Right now this is the only safe, effective option to reduce my notable financial losses.

With respect for different opinions,
    RFA
    Hurley's Gold

Last edited:

Governors20

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 11, 2012
    Austin
    PHP:
    Hogs are a part of life on the ranch, and you cant poison enough to make the problem go away. You might kill a few, but the hundreds behind it will still tear the place up. I heard of one hay farmer who surrounded his 50 acre hay field with a 2 strand electric fence low to the ground and that has controlled the hogs on his field. Hogs have hollow hair, so he has the fence really jacked up to around 50,000 volts to get the desired affect.

Regardless of what you say, as a licensed applicator you have to follow the rules and the regs, so if you poison them, you have to bury them 18 inches deep. Have fun!

Ready.Fire.Aim

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    PHP:
    Hogs are a part of life on the ranch, and you cant poison enough to make the problem go away. You might kill a few, but the hundreds behind it will still tear the place up. I heard of one hay farmer who surrounded his 50 acre hay field with a 2 strand electric fence low to the ground and that has controlled the hogs on his field. Hogs have hollow hair, so he has the fence really jacked up to around 50,000 volts to get the desired affect.

Regardless of what you say, as a licensed applicator you have to follow the rules and the regs, so if you poison them, you have to bury them 18 inches deep. Have fun!

I currently have three fields ( hay & winter ryegrass) electrically fenced, the area around my barn and sheds are electric fenced, and my also yard. I have literally spent thousands of dollars on solar powered electric fence chargers and electric fencing.
    Electric fences run between 4000-9000 volts. I check mine almost daily with a voltmeter for grounds. They do keep hogs out.

It is unfeasible & uneconomic to electric fence my entire ranch and pecan bottom land. I get hog damage weekly. My native pecans were almost unharvestable this year due to rooting. It was sickening, the crop was very good and the price was better than expected. Prior to harvest, I had repaired the previous months hog damage disked and dragged smooth, and went out almost every night with my thermal vision equipped rifle keeping them run off.

It only took two nights (between 3-6 am per the game cam) of a pack of about 40 hogs & young shoats to undo all my work and make a huge mess. Most people don't see this kind of loss- nor do they care.
    My pastures are almost unnavigable due to hog ruts. Disked and dragging flat ground is attractive to them since they like rooting fresh dirt.

To be candid, vast majority of poisoned carcasses won't be found, the buzzards, scavengers, and insects eat them in a matter of a few days thus the extensive research on toxicity. How many hog carcasses are currently seen from the millions of hogs & piglets that die annually from natural causes? Very few, just like the other millions of wild animals that die. Nature is very efficient at quickly removing flesh and leaving bones.

Burial is an option, disposal per state & local requirements is the only requirement ( "must be disposed of, may be buried") .

RFA

Last edited:

Ready.Fire.Aim

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    All hogs have to be buried.

As a licensed applicator, I figured you'd know this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sir, Your statement is incorrect, all hogs have to be buried is not factual.

Burial is a disposal option, not a requirement.
    The verb "buried" is prefaced with " may", not "must".

Proper disposal of found carcasses is required as allowed per State and local requirements.

The list of requirements for different options for disposal of animal carcasses can be found in TCEQ RG 419.
    https://www.tceq.texas.gov/publications/rg/rg-419.html/at_download/file

I have first hand experience with compliance due to a newly purchased Simmental bull that died suddenly of Redwater disease (2012). I requested an exemption to a county burn ban to destroy the carcass to prevent spreading the disease. The county environmental official was helpful through the process, the TAHC & TECQ requirements were the basis for allowing the burn exemption.

----

Quoted label requirements are below:

" All carcasses found must be disposed of properly. Carcasses may be buried on site"

"other disposal methods are allowed by State and local authorities"

RFA

Last edited:

Governors20

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 11, 2012
    Austin
    You are not alone. I talked to my neighbor who runs a wedding and party venue on 7 acres. His place is covered with beautiful flowers, well manicured and green grass, virtually everything a pig would love right in the middle of the country. He replanted grass 3 times, had his flower beds dug up twice, rooted 3 foot deep holes in the yard etc. He is beside himself on what to do. His plans were to hunt my place which was a non starter. I told him either spend the money on fence, move his business to the middle of town, or deal with it. Looks like you have the same options since the pigs are going to win the battle. I don't think the warfarin is going to work because it will only kill the dumb ones that stick around, and not the traveling packs that hit and run.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Why did he want to hunt your place? Why not hunt his own property?

Ready.Fire.Aim

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    You are not alone. I talked to my neighbor who runs a wedding and party venue on 7 acres. His place is covered with beautiful flowers, well manicured and green grass, virtually everything a pig would love right in the middle of the country. He replanted grass 3 times, had his flower beds dug up twice, rooted 3 foot deep holes in the yard etc. He is beside himself on what to do. His plans were to hunt my place which was a non starter. I told him either spend the money on fence, move his business to the middle of town, or deal with it. Looks like you have the same options since the pigs are going to win the battle. I don't think the warfarin is going to work because it will only kill the dumb ones that stick around, and not the traveling packs that hit and run.

Consider recommending to him to electric fence it. It can be taken down easily before venues. 7 acres is very achievable. Probably wouldnt need to fence all sides, just the directions the pigs come from.

For aesthetics and quick removal use step-in plastic posts every 100 feet and instead of wire use braided string with 12 wire strands on a reel.

Gallagher made in NZ solar powered, battery operated fence chargers are about $400. They are high quality. Plastic posts, strand wire, grounds etc about another $500 to do 7 acres. A few 2 ft high corner posts could be masked with landscape plants

----
    After years of observing wild hog nocturnal patterns in my area both visually with thermal vision, game cams, and observing damage I am confident the bait with warfarin will significantly reduce damage. I realize it won't eradicate them but I would be very happy with reducing 1/2 the population & damage they cause.

The hogs do come to bait and typically consume enough that once warfarin is used they should get a lethal dose before learning to avoid feeders.
    They are smart and will adapt quickly like rats, thus they learn about mechanical methods like trapping.

Respectfully
    RFA

Last edited:

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    Ready.Fire.Aim,

Pardon me for saying that the !@#$% government has lied so much, on so many subjects, that I trust NOTHING that they claim.

yours, satx

Ready.Fire.Aim

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Ready.Fire.Aim,

Pardon me for saying that the !@#$% government has lied so much, on so many subjects, that I trust NOTHING that they claim.

yours, satx

Understandable, that is a common sentiment. Especially at higher levels. I know Washington level decisions go against most of what helps me.

Most of my experiences with the working level govt. positions ( County, Tx Dept Ag, TP&W, Tx Ag extension) has been positive. They are usually professional and want to help a working man in the agriculture business. If the answer was " No", they usually would tell you why and give an alternative solution.

With respect,
    RFA

Last edited:

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Pharmaceutical company stands to make big bucks.

Somehow I doubt this is some wonder poison that will work better than all the other wonder poisons without the adverse consequences that all the other wonder poisons weren't supposed to have.

Governors20

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 11, 2012
    Austin
    YG. He wants to hunt and trap on our land since we border his property on two sides. That way dead pigs on our land aren't his problem. He isn't a hunter but he bought an AR-10 if he ever gets the chance to shoot one.

F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    Ready.Fire.Aim,

yours, satx

The main reason I see the hope in this is because they have been talking about being close to getting an approval for a bait for years now. I hold a private pesticide applicators license and it's been the talk for several years at the CE programs put on by the extension agency.

If it were nothing but a corrupt, bribery type situation like we usually see in politics, I think it would have been approved years ago. The delay can only mean there was testing done.

Ready.Fire.Aim

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Pharmaceutical company stands to make big bucks.

Somehow I doubt this is some wonder poison that will work better than all the other wonder poisons without the adverse consequences that all the other wonder poisons weren't supposed to have.

I've also wondered why warfarin was selected to be tested. I have heard anecdotally that sodium nitrate has lethal properties on swine with lessor side effects. I don't know that for a fact. Perhaps there was more research and field use with warfarin making it less complicated to license.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    Younggun,

You just have to STOP posting intelligent comments that I agree 100% with.
    (CHUCKLE)

I truly FEAR that 5/10/20 years from now that we will discover that the company that makes the poison lied and/or that the government did. = I wonder how many of "the EXPERTS" will be willing to lose everything they have for approving a poison for use that "travels up the food chain" & causes untold harm to "non-target species"??

yours, satx

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    And I don't appreciate people assuming my pronouns.

:p

Double Naught Spy

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    North Texas
    Sir, Your statement is incorrect, all hogs have to be buried is not factual.

Burial is a disposal option, not a requirement.
    The verb "buried" is prefaced with " may", not "must".

Proper disposal of found carcasses is required as allowed per State and local requirements.

The list of requirements for different options for disposal of animal carcasses can be found in TCEQ RG 419.
    https://www.tceq.texas.gov/publications/rg/rg-419.html/at_download/file

I have first hand experience with compliance due to a newly purchased Simmental bull that died suddenly of Redwater disease (2012). I requested an exemption to a county burn ban to destroy the carcass to prevent spreading the disease. The county environmental official was helpful through the process, the TAHC & TECQ requirements were the basis for allowing the burn exemption.

----

Quoted label requirements are below:

" All carcasses found must be disposed of properly. Carcasses may be buried on site"

"other disposal methods are allowed by State and local authorities"

RFA

True, burial is not the only option. You can compost, which is much like burial, only above ground. You can incinerate, which will be a problem for summer application when burn bans are in effect. You can ship the carcasses off (for a fee) to a municipal solid waste fill. You might be able to send them to a renderer, but I doubt many are going to want poisoned carcasses for rendering. Do you have any renderers in your area? I don't.

So, with the possible exception of the renderer, all of the methods involved are going to be time, labor, and/or expensive to undertake. Keep in mind that this isn't a on the scale of dealing with the singular random hog, but more like on the scale of dealing with herds of hogs, millions of them. A landowner with a lot of land might be dealing with several hundred or thousand hogs and since all of his neighbors won't be poisoning, the process will be ongoing as hogs continue to re-invade the territory left open by previously destroyed hogs. I don't think they are planning on allowed large scale exemptions for poisoned hogs.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Sorry to go OT, but what are current requirements for land owners that just shoot, for example, 10-20 hogs on their property in a night?
    Are there any specific disposal requirements?

Top Bottom