• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jon Payne

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Third Coast
    Thanks. I always stayed in shape when on the PD. Ate right and worked out. Stayed at in until I injured myself and had to stop working out for a while about 12 years ago. Kinda ashamed of myself.

TXI,
    Don't be ashamed brother. We have all been down that road. I'm fighting my way back now after four years of a self-destructive life style. In Dec. I was at my all time heaviest weight of 260 lbs. I've lost 30 lbs so far, feel loads better, look lots better, and my wife says I don't snore any longer! Back in Dec., near the anniversary my daughter was killed I made a commitment to change. Since then I've worked on my fitness 5 evenings a week. It's not complicated, it's simple. It's just hard. It was easy getting out of shape!

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    TXI,
    Don't be ashamed brother. We have all been down that road. I'm fighting my way back now after four years of a self-destructive life style. In Dec. I was at my all time heaviest weight of 260 lbs. I've lost 30 lbs so far, feel loads better, look lots better, and my wife says I don't snore any longer! Back in Dec., near the anniversary my daughter was killed I made a commitment to change. Since then I've worked on my fitness 5 evenings a week. It's not complicated, it's simple. It's just hard. It was easy getting out of shape!

First, my deepest condolences on the death of your daughter. I cannot even imagine.......

Apparently, I don't snore any longer either. A huge benefit.

peter lam

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2013
    California
    I think you are going wrong treatment you just have to need for some exercises and the maximum drink water in a day I was also very upset with my belly fats but now I am pretty happy with my weight, now I become again on 95 ponds within 2 months with the help of this both work... I must suggest you try it atlist one time...

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    That's interesting you guys say you don't snore anymore either after getting in better shape. I noticed the same with my husband.

I can't help but see the similarities between yall's stories of working to getting yourself back to where you want to be. It's great to see. I've watched my husband work on himself; it's hard work. So you guys, keep it up. Don't forget to cheat now and then, take a day of rest and of course enjoy the revamped you. We ladies notice, even if we aren't great at verbalizing. We like what we see.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    That's interesting you guys say you don't snore anymore either after getting in better shape. I noticed the same with my husband.

I can't help but see the similarities between yall's stories of working to getting yourself back to where you want to be. It's great to see. I've watched my husband work on himself; it's hard work. So you guys, keep it up. Don't forget to cheat now and then, take a day of rest and of course enjoy the revamped you. We ladies notice, even if we aren't great at verbalizing. We like what we see.

I sort of cheat occasionally. My daughter passed her driving test on Tuesday. We took her and her best friend to dinner to celebrate. I had grilled Salmon, salad, and potatoes. I ate few of the potatoes to save carbs for a couple of bites of the cake I knew my daughter would want.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    My sister is vegan and she's shaped like a pumpkin. I'm practically an obligate carnivore and in better shape than anyone that I know. Protein is filling, carbs are not.

Yep. Too many carbs and too little protein creates a strong insulin response and the body stores blood sugar (glucose) as bodyfat.

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    This is a great thread. Like y'all, I know exactly what I need to do. Its just a matter of making time and effort to do it. I wouldn't consider it cheating to have a few carbs here and there. Its simply a matter of balance.

My challenge is that I'm constantly flying somewhere, eating out, taking our teams and clients to dinners and happy hours, etc. - its part of my job. I'm either in a hurry to grab a quick bite or I'm at a super long meal. I try to manage it by drinking a lot of water - "on the rocks" if we're at a happy hour. That seems to help lower both the alcohol and the food consumption.

I weigh the same as I always have, but its in all the wrong places now :p

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    I sort of cheat occasionally. My daughter passed her driving test on Tuesday. We took her and her best friend to dinner to celebrate. I had grilled Salmon, salad, and potatoes. I ate few of the potatoes to save carbs for a couple of bites of the cake I knew my daughter would want.

Alright! Congrats to your daughter. Are your nerves on edge or what?

BTW, Salmon, salad and potatoes is not my idea of cheat ;)

I wouldn't consider it cheating to have a few carbs here and there. Its simply a matter of balance.

Same for me. Although balance is proportional to the three sources (protein, carb and fats). I feel FITT and body type results dictate what the proportions should be. Each fuel source gets burned differently since the body uses three types of energy systems (all activity dependent).

FITT = Frequency, Intensity, Time and Type

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    Same for me. Although balance is proportional to the three sources (protein, carb and fats). I feel FITT and body type results dictate what the proportions should be. Each fuel source gets burned differently since the body uses three types of energy systems (all activity dependent).

FITT = Frequency, Intensity, Time and Type

I tried to lookup my body type but couldn't find "squishy" listed. I saw things like "pear" but was thinking more "white marshmellow".

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    I tried to lookup my body type but couldn't find "squishy" listed. I saw things like "pear" but was thinking more "white marshmellow".

lol

Not "body type" as in what you have. But body type as in the results you want. I want "hot" and/or "dead sexy"; "Looks good with or without clothes" :cool: haha If I can't be vain why workout? :p

On the body type note, I mentioned in this thread I think, I think workouts should be geared to the type of body one has. And this goes to the type of athlete a person is. Folks who were athletes in high school or college know this pretty well. Best example, think of the difference between long distance runners and sprinters. Or football players vs basketball players. Each type of athlete trains differently based on the results they need to exhibit. Do they need strength, power or endurance? What is their work range, aerobic or anaerobic?

A body is already constructed, just gotta do the workout that it is built for. Changing muscle types is hard work.

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    I was Linebacker in Football, Outside Center in Rugby, and sprint relay team in track. I've done a ton of endurance training before but HATE IT. At one point in my life I was running >50miles a week...I absolutely HATE running long distance. It just doesn't come as natural as sprinting or lifting.

I like training for strength and explosiveness. Without a doubt that's what I was built for. I love lifting but its so demoralizing doing that now that I'm a big weanie. Stuff I used to bench seems heavy on squats now. I just have to put aside the little pride I have left and do it anyway LOL

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    We will never be greater than when we were athletes in our younger days. ;) Re: moving big numbers no longer, I kinda feel the same but on sprint times. I'm not near as fast as I used to be. It kills me...yadda yadda getting old....

I'm basketball, volleyball, track (sprint & mid-distance kill me now quarter girl, relays and long jump). Anaerobic conditioning, quickness and strong legs are my best suits. I'm not big, small in fact so not a lot of mass to me. Like you I hate distance. It kills my knees. I'm not structurally sound for a long game. I go for the quick abuse, let the muscles work until I can't walk right and my heart still keeping me alive and we're good.

I'm pro-protein and will put away carbs like crazy. Gotta get better at veggies. Better than when I was younger but I'm not always consistent. You know what would work great? A live-in chef, a dietician and a trainer to tell me what to do. Leaving me to my own devices is hard work.

Gramps

Cultured Pirate
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Central Houston
    Gary Taubes "Why we get fat - and what to do about it" is a great book. Listened to the audio book to and from New Orleans last week, about 10 hours worth and was amazed at the information. Here is a primer: http://garytaubes.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/WWGF-Readers-Digest-feature-Feb-2011.pdf

Low to no carbohydrates, good amount of animal fats, and veggies are the meal plan. Just over a week in and feel great, can't wait to see what the long term holds.

dussandr

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2013
    SE TX
    Cut out fast food- cook fresh stuff.
    Limit alcohol.
    Eat smaller, balanced meals more often- limit protein intake to 20 grams or so every 3-4 hours, 4-5 times a day.
    Gotta boost that metabolism! Get the heart rate up for 20 min at a time minimum, 2-3 times a day. The metabolism boost lasts for hours. This is more efficient at cutting weight than running once for a ling distance.
    Lift weight! More muscle = more efficient metabolism.

Eat lean protein right before bed. If you're lifting and exercising, your body will need it to repair. This process requires energy, and if you give your body just lean protein just before bed, it will use fat for the energy for the process. Don't eat carbs or sugar before bed! Just lean protein.

Carbs are okay, just eat the right kind! Try complex carbs for energy- steel-cut oats are a good source (I like oatmeal). Fast-burning carbs like breads and fruits just pack on weight.

Eat better, move more.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    When it comes to carbs, avoid the high glycemic carbs like bread, potatoes, rice, etc. Eat more of the low glycemic carbs like green, leafy veggies, most fruits, etc. High glycemic carbs quickly raise blood super, causing a rapid insulin response. That rapid insulin increase causes your body to store the blood suger as fat, and locks that fat down.

Top Bottom