• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    Well, an actual diabetic on insulin can eat anything they want, just do more insulin.
    Of course, they need to stay on top of it, though.
    Obviously accidents can happen .

Was once borderline type 2, about twelve years ago.
    No more after losing weight (80lbs) and diet change.
    Gained some of it back, therefore my relatively recent interest in a keto diet.

Would not advocate anyone taking medical advice over the Internet, however, Ken Berry has a video on diabetics and keto that might be interesting for anyone with type 1 or type 2 and thinking about it.

Just recently lost a type 1 diabetic friend from ketoacidosis ... scary.
    Texas SOT

birddog

bullshit meter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    nunya
    I tell my doctor it's about quality of life not quantity. I just came from the doctor, as I need a form filled out For SSD. Prognosis poor BMI 46. Yeah that makes me morbidly obese. After stopping @ academy I really thought about hitting a Chinese buffet near by.

Get skinny, the reward is you can hammer the shit out of that buffet once a week.

I’ve got an awesome buffet nearby with crab and sushi. I plan on bankrupting the place once I drop some weight.

birddog

bullshit meter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    nunya
    Well, an actual diabetic on insulin can eat anything they want, just do more insulin.
    Of course, they need to stay on top of it, though.
    Obviously accidents can happen .

Insulin is damn near as toxic as glucose. I’m type 2 and test roughly 10 times a day. Keeping track of my glucose is like a cat chasing his tail.

The key is never letting your glucose rise. Now that I know how my body reacts to certain foods, I try to keep it below 130 after a meal. Avocados seem to do the trick.

My problem is milk, I love the stuff. I must have been breastfed.

karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    Get skinny, the reward is you can hammer the shit out of that buffet once a week.

I’ve got an awesome buffet nearby with crab and sushi. I plan on bankrupting the place once I drop some weight.

Feel the pain.
    I turn cartwheels, one night a week, at the local Chinese buffet.
    Anything goes ...

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!

I have seen videos of the way people act when the crab is slow coming out @ a buffet. If I want to destroy a buffet aint nothing stopping me. Only reason I didn't go was I came home to see if the wife wanted to go. Best buffet ever was the place I learned about Thai food. Use to be a place that had sushi & snow crab here in Houston that was good.

Now it's either Dimassi's or a chinese place I some what like.

birddog

bullshit meter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    nunya
    Funny thing.... before I was diagnosed, about half the time when I’d hit a Chinese buffet sometimes I would literally feel intoxicated or woozy and then get sick to my stomach to the point of losing my food. I thought it was MSG, but it was my glucose skyrocketing out of control. Dealt with it for a number of years before it was diagnosed.

Thank goodness I like vegetables. I could have inadvertently suicided my ass.

birddog

bullshit meter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    nunya
    I have seen videos of the way people act when the crab is slow coming out @ a buffet.....

I’ve seen some Asians damn near come to blows at the buffet I was referring. They pile a mound almost 3 feet tall to try and keep everyone satisfied. I like to eat early so I avoid getting jap slapped.

You want to see someone that can eat keep an eye on the 4 foot tall Asian chicks. It’s bewildering, I’ve never seen anything like it. They must have a digestive tract like a cow with multiple stomachs.

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    I tell my doctor it's about quality of life not quantity. I just came from the doctor, as I need a form filled out For SSD. Prognosis poor BMI 46. Yeah that makes me morbidly obese. After stopping @ academy I really thought about hitting a Chinese buffet near by.
    You gotta get real with yourself man
    If your doctor isnt kicking your ass about your life threatening condition, you need a new doctor now

tsugsr

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 14, 2014
    I went from eating ANYTHING I wanted, to limiting carbs to 120/daily.
    Still quite a few carbs, but difficult enough to keep below, lol.
    No bread, fruit, or real dessert.

How’s it working? Been doing it long? I just started something similar, hasn’t been too difficult so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    How’s it working? Been doing it long? I just started something similar, hasn’t been too difficult so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Been at it about 3 years.
    Lost weight in the beginning, I guess my body got used to the change up and have put some of the weight back on.
    I just get tired of eating pretty much the same thing all the time.
    I eat alot of the frozen Atkins meals.
    Luckily I like salads also.

ETA: My A1c dropped 4 points in about 6 months.

birddog

bullshit meter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    nunya
    Tuna didn’t make it on the menu. Roasted chicken leg quarter+ & steamed half whole head of fresh cauliflower with butter & pepper. It really hit the spot.

Edit - never noticed until today that cauliflower has a mild sweetness to it. Sweet deprivation may have something to do with it.

Last edited:

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    Been at it about 3 years.
    Lost weight in the beginning, I guess my body got used to the change up and have put some of the weight back on.
    I just get tired of eating pretty much the same thing all the time.
    I eat alot of the frozen Atkins meals.
    Luckily I like salads also.

ETA: My A1c dropped 4 points in about 6 months.

FYI, CHuys has the best fajita salad around. Its pretty much the only place I have it. When I made some changes I went to every mexican joint around. Chuys "Taco Salad" with chicken fajita is the best. On the Border has the worst. Mi Cocina is pretty good, but not as good as Chuys. Not sure if you guys have Mi Cocina down there.

birddog

bullshit meter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    nunya
    I would have a REALLY hard time going to a Mexican restaurant and ordering a salad. In hindsight, it would be impossible.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    I just get large bags of "salad".
    They are 1.5lb bags.
    I use zero cal, zero fat, Italian dressing.
    The entire bottle contains 50 grams of carbs I think.
    I have a large platter before lunch, and dinner.
    Also top with shredded cheese.

birddog

bullshit meter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    nunya
    Speaking of mexi
    I just get large bags of "salad".
    They are 1.5lb bags.
    I use zero cal, zero fat, Italian dressing.
    The entire bottle contains 50 grams of carbs I think.
    I have a large platter before lunch, and dinner.
    Also top with shredded cheese.

I do the same. Walmart has lg bags of iceberg lettuce salads on sale every couple of days. They’re eaten quick enough that they don’t go to waste.

I do Greek dressing diluted with pickle juice, chopped green olives, feta cheese, and black pepper.

,fwiw.... this morning I hit two Walmart’s, a big one, and the small Market that sells nothing but groceries. The prices at the market are significantly less expensive. $1.69 vs $2.89 for 1% milk is one example. Outside of minor seasonal fluctuations, it’s been that way for years.

Top Bottom