• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DoubleDuty

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 9, 2019
    DFW
    Closest one to me is ~4 hours one way. I understand the disgust with BassPro, and now Cabela’s as well. I also understand the distaste for anything Dicks has to offer. So... in the Houston area that leaves what? Piss poor customer service plus elevated prices offered by Carters Country? The few decent dealers on the north/west side of Houston that struggle to have any type of inventory? So that leaves Academy and??? Fishing gear I’m intimately familiar with. I have no problem making large dollar orders on line. I know what I’m buying. Firearms... not so much. And for the most part on line dealers are no different than their brick and mortar counterparts - No Inventory. At this point in time, with my limited knowledge, I want/need to hold in my hand that which I’m interested in purchasing. Soooo... that leaves me very few options to consider.
    I live in DFW and a new Scheels just opened up in The colony. It's about a 20 mile drive for me.
    ARJ Defense ad

Dougw1515

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2020
    USA
    record number of background checks plus the covid. In Texas I have my CHL...about 5 min wait.
    I first applied for mine ~6/24/20. Then after 2 weeks I checked on it and that's when I saw they claim they did not receive my DD214. Took almost a week to get that corrected after which I was told "2 more weeks". We're at the 2 week mark now and I just checked... still have fingerprint and background pending.

Frank59

Wheel Gunner
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2018
    San Angelo
    I first applied for mine ~6/24/20. Then after 2 weeks I checked on it and that's when I saw they claim they did not receive my DD214. Took almost a week to get that corrected after which I was told "2 more weeks". We're at the 2 week mark now and I just checked... still have fingerprint and background pending.
    I remember waiting for my LTC. It was like watching the grass grow....LoL

Geezer

Mostly Peaceful
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 23, 2019
    Silsbee, Texas
    The day that I got my Texas driver's license, June 10, I got online and took the LTC class. 2 days later, I shot the proficiency test. June 19 was my Identogo appointment. 28 days later, my LTC was in my mailbox. I was very surprised with how fast everything progressed.

Dougw1515

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2020
    USA
    The frustrating part, for me, is the lack of an LTC limits, due to lack of availability, what I can purchase at this time. Got training courses that start next Tuesday and may end up using a borrowed gun that I may, or may not, like. So I stand to lose some of the benefits that the course(s) could provide. That being getting familiar and comfortable with a weapon I will carry on a daily basis. But in the end - it is what it is. This too shall pass... Just wish it would hurry the hell up! :cowboy:

busykngt

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    McKinney
    Yep. Mine took a little over 9 weeks and everything was in perfect order. That was 7 years ago tho.

Yep, that’s about my recollection during the same time frame. IIRC, folks complaining to their legislators (& maybe the governor, too) eventually forced the DPS to put more people on the job and that reduced the turn around time considerably.

Dougw1515

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2020
    USA
    Yep, that’s about my recollection during the same time frame. IIRC, folks complaining to their legislators (& maybe the governor, too) eventually forced the DPS to put more people on the job and that reduced the turn around time considerably.
    Yeah... I don't know how many folks they added but I do know they're working 12hrs a day. Errr.... they're there 12 hrs a day.

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    My last two renewals took like 2 weeks and that included mail back and forth to AZ.

Another reason I keep my AZ permit. Expense and time. Just need a new background check.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Love to shoot
    Top Bottom