• ...and so much more!
  • wakal

Just Some Guy
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Zephyr
    1: Not enough data to make an informed decision. Cover expenses, buy guns/ammo/fatty foods/beer, waste the rest on stupid things.
    2: No changes necessary ATT, IMO
    3: Was not here last year; no data to serve as a baseline.
    4: Acceptable. High praise coming from me.
    5: None noted.
    6: Excellent mod staff. Does not abuse position for personal amusement or unequally enforce policies (ala Brian Enos Forum, ARFCom, GrockBabble). Reminds me of the excellent staff at Swordforum, previously my benchmark for a well-moderated Forum (and that includes the large forums I used to Admin/moderate ;) ).
    Target Sports

Rum Runner

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2010
    Plano
    1) If you had $10,000, what would you do with the forum to improve the experience for everyone?
    Host local activities/shoots/etc in the major markets. More contests.

2) If you could change one thing about TGT, what would it be and why?
    Lack of local events.

3) Do you feel that TGT has improved in the past year?
    I am probably not thinking of several things, but for now...no.

4) How do you feel about the look and appearance of the forum?
    I think it looks great. It is one of the best of the ones I visit.

5) Is there anything you feel that is missing from the forum?

Politics Section. Bring it back as a non-public forum that you only gain access to after a certain # of posts like say 500. Then if people abuse it, remove their access from just that section. Temporarily then permanently.

6) How do you feel about the current level of moderation and mod / admin response?
    Seems like in the last 3 months, admin participation in threads has dropped, but that is just a feeling and maybe it is because the politics section is gone. Also, although some political threads get locked, others don't and others have even gotten admin participation. It feels like there is a double standard, although there is a small number of threads to judge it on, so it is anecdotal at best.
    Examples:
    http://www.texasguntalk.com/forums/...one-else-see-world-wide-revolution-stuff.html
    http://www.texasguntalk.com/forums/...ing-range/27922-you-part-53-a.html#post331341

Overall, though you are doing a good job as this is my favorite forums site.

scgstuff

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Central Texas
    Sorry if this is too long, just started typing my reply, got to the end and was like "Holy Crap!" when I realized how much I typed. But, you asked, so I answered......

1) If you had $10,000, what would you do with the forum to improve the experience for everyone?
    For everyone? hmmmm.....I think the speed is good, the number of ads on the top can be overwhelming, I am setup at 1440X900, and the top 1/2 of my screen is the title bar, link bars and ads. Seems a bit much, but they help run the site, so not sure what can be done about it. If you could use the money and reduce the adverts, that would be a plus for everyone, I would think.

For "some people" (hopefully most) instead of everyone, host meet and greets, either with or without shooting. I know several motorcycle forums I am on have weekly or monthly gatherings during the week to eat together and then they ride on Saturday or Sunday. Same thing, with a monthly "meet here to eat and say hi" on a weeknight and then a monthly "Let's go throw some lead downrange" weekend meet.

This would allow people to get to know each other off the board as well, and sometimes people aren't the same in person without the internet bravado, and this could help interpret their internet ramblings and quash some of the bickering. Someone might be very sarcastic in person and just sound like a jerk on the forums, unless you know them in real life and know how to interpret what they are writing.

Political Area...I know, you recently got rid of it, but I think it was useful. I have been on some boards which are very 1 sided and don't really welcome other opinions, some boards where any opinions can be expressed and some where everyone just bickers. I think if we had a Soap-Box/Political area where it was noted that it was lightly moderated, just no personal attacks allowed, and let the differing opinions out. If a post in another area gets out of hand, wither split the thread and send the banter to the soap box or just move the whole thread over. That way, you know what you are getting into when you enter the post.

It seems now anything that starts to head down the proverbial political path is locked before it gets traction. I, for one, enjoy reading views that differ from mine. Sometimes to try to understand why someone would think that way, sometimes to gather more information to see if my opinion is based on faulty information and sometimes just to laugh and point fingers at the person (without personal attacks of course.)

I have begun coming on here more and participating more, so certainly it has improved. My presence makes everything better!

But, in seriousness, I don't really have enough info to comment on this, since I have only been on about that long....

Other than the above comments about 1/2 the screen real estate taken up on the top, it is fine.

Answer above - Political commentary. I know this is probably a non-starter since you just took it off, but you asked.....I feel like the people in this community for the most part are very strong intellectual people and I enjoy reading the various opinions.

I also have been on forums that have calendars for keeping people up to date on when/where events will be held and scoring systems for "experience". These seem to be a little demanding on the server (when first implemented on one site, it slowed to a crawl and they have some major tweaking to do to bring the speed back) but it was a fun idea. It gave awards to the person who posted the most (Spam Award), Had the highest Thumbs Ups for comments, had the most calendar entries, etc. When looking at the forums, it put an icon under the name of the person so you could easily identify who held each award.

6) How do you feel about the current level of moderation and mod / admin response?
    I have never had an issue with any of the mods, so cannot offer any insight, but response to others seems to be fair. I enjoy the fact the mods are open minded enough to not lock/ban people for having different views and stating so publicly. Some boards rule with an iron fist and the first sign that someone is heading off the beaten path, they are beaten and sent on their way.

codygjohnson

Eats breakfast everyday
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    Flower Mound
    1) More photo hosting on the forum side. More space, but maybe have users images automatically drop off the end when HD space maxes out or something?

2) See above yo.

3) Yes.

4) I like it.

5) cowbell.

6) I'm really glad that they all hail from the "alternative" lifestyle. It seems to really put a nice spin on things around here, but it's obvious around here when they are all over at the Howard Johnson having an all man mod orgy. Bunch of bears, those mods.

shooterfpga

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Conroe, TX
    1) If you had $10,000, what would you do with the forum to improve the experience for everyone? (Ignore Operating Costs)

possibly a new CMS

maybe a chatroom

dunno, havent been here that long

nice and clean

dont think so

good, just wish the banned comments remained, so others can laugh.

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth

Politics Section. Bring it back as a non-public forum that you only gain access to after a certain # of posts like say 500. Then if people abuse it, remove their access from just that section. Temporarily then permanently.

This sounds perfect.

scgstuff

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Central Texas
    button for "view your posts" in the header

But I already know what I wrote....I want to read the other posts that I didn't write......

For the Non-Public forum, make it a request based where either the user requests access and can be approved by moderator or, on another board I am on, you need to PM one of the mods for a password. If you are not a member of the allowed group, the posts don't show up in the "New Posts" section, if you are a member, it is just like any other post.

BG1960

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Unincorporated East Harris County
    Not enough time to address all of the points, but the loss of the politics forum was a major downgrade IMHO. Politics is probably the single most important factor in gun ownership today. I run a couple small boards, so I have an idea of how big a PITA that it was. But there was some good discussion that went on in there, I miss it and come here less. I think restricting troublemakers from the politics forum would have been much better than killing it for everyone.

Other than that, I have to say that this board is very well managed.

Dcav

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 31, 2009
    Converse
    Seems like in the last 3 months, admin participation in threads has dropped, but that is just a feeling and maybe it is because the politics section is gone. Also, although some political threads get locked, others don't and others have even gotten admin participation. It feels like there is a double standard, although there is a small number of threads to judge it on, so it is anecdotal at best.
    Examples:
    http://www.texasguntalk.com/forums/...one-else-see-world-wide-revolution-stuff.html
    http://www.texasguntalk.com/forums/...ing-range/27922-you-part-53-a.html#post331341

Overall, though you are doing a good job as this is my favorite forums site.

Generally members alert the Mod staff by flagging posts for review. We don't read every single post/thread. Although we pay attention to the people that attempt to slip in politics/ads/ etc under the radar so to say.

BigRed82

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2010
    Austin
    I support the suggestions already stated:

1. Remove all the ad banners on top and put them in rotation in single size on top and right (right now looks too spammy)
    3. Organize local events, get togethers and small friendly competitions

I'd consider a banner ad in some of the larger gun forums to increase membership. We have good people here, but participation seems limited at times to a small group of regulars.

1) More photo hosting on the forum side.

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Missouri, Texas Consulate HQ
    I'd like a members only area that isn't searched, indexed and open to the general public. I'm always on edge how much info I give out here as it goes out to the 4 winds. Possibly even make it for forum supporters only.

Army 1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Dallas Texas or so
    The one thing I would like to see it the language cleaned up. There is too much needless profanity which makes reading some of the posts unpleasant. I am not a prude but I come here to enjoy the thoughts of fellow shooters and to learn and I hope pass some of my knowledge along to others. It would be nice if the language was more family appropriate.

BG1960

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Unincorporated East Harris County
    I'd like a members only area that isn't searched, indexed and open to the general public. I'm always on edge how much info I give out here as it goes out to the 4 winds. Possibly even make it for forum supporters only.

+1. I don't participate here much because it will be on Google 5 seconds after I post it. Catch 22 - Google got me here, but I don't want Google to index every last thing I post here.

scgstuff

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Central Texas

The problem with this thought is what would make you a non-general public? A certain number of posts? If most of the posts cannot be read by them, they will not stick around as much and won't get the post count high enough to become a member. If it is only for forum supporters, why would they opt to support if they can't see the whole board and what they will get access to. Just thinking out loud here...(well on screen anyway). I can see where that would be beneficial, though. At times I am leary to post some things, knowing what I put on the internet is forever....

London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    I have only two small gripes about the forum.

1.) Some of he new smileys look kinda ghey compared to the old ones. 2.) I can't click the italics on and off without using a little trickery. If I were to type the word "Italics," the italics feature will stay on and make everything I type after it come up in italics no matter how many times I click the italics button to disable it. The only way around this is to highlight the italicized text I want normal then click the italics button. Not a huge hassle but kinda annoying. I use Opera so this might not be an issue for everyone.

Aside from that I think this is the best forum I've ever used. From my perspective there honestly isn't much room for improvement.

wconn33

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2010
    Texas
    The only thing I can think of is the ads at the top seem really spam like. Maybe a single banner that rotates or something would look better.

TexasDog

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 27, 2010
    Colleyville
    I do not see any fundamental problems with this site. The search button options are a little difficult at first and you cannot seem to delete a post for a for sale item once it sells (the reason for this was quickly explained by the moderator when I sent a message asking about this).

Nasa

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2011
    WCR Kat Ranch, Texas
    Just wish I had found TGT sooner. Wondered why taptalk wasn't working today.
    I think that the site pretty much covers what I expect. Fairly happy with it or I wouldn't keep coming back. Know what I mean.

Top Bottom