Capitol Armory ad

What did you do today in the world of reloading?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rp-

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    converse
    The collet die is for rifle. Carbide fcd is for pistol sets. I haven't had any issues using the carbide fcd with lead bullets for 380, 9, or 45. They still hit the target.

In theory if they're squeezing the lead bullets then they're squeezing the jacketed bullets, too. I know I'm just a pool guy but I know lead, brass, and copper are all softer than carbide, and carbide will always win in that fight. The carbide fcd die uses a carbide ring at the bottom to "post-size" your brass after seating and there is a floating crimp ring inside that actually crimps case mouth. That's the part that can **** up your bullets.

In short, the carbide ring is like the same dimensions as a chamber and chambering any pistol round isn't going to change the bullet at all.

Yes, If you over do the fcd it can squeeze the bullets and make them slightly smaller than the bore. If you set your die properly you won't have the problem.

I'll take one apart when I get home and hammer apart a couple bullets to show you.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk
    Capitol Armory ad

SQLGeek

Muh state lines
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 22, 2017
    Richmond
    There are two factory crimp dies. The collet crimp die works like a champ. The CARBIDE factory crimp die sizes the entire cartridge down to SAAMI spec.

Yes, which is why I specified handgun FCD. The four die handgun sets come with the Carbide FCD, not the collet style. Not offered in 32 ACP but you can buy a separate carbide FCD in 32 s&w / 32 long / 32 ACP. This roll crimps the round. I don't know enough about 32 ACP to know if that's appropriate or if a taper crimp would be better:

https://leeprecision.com/reloading-dies/hand-gun-dies/4-die-set-pistol/

They do sell collet style crimp dies for a few different revolver chamberings but not in 32 ACP:

https://leeprecision.com/lee-collet-style-crimp-die/

The Lee rifle 4 die sets come with the collet style rifle FCD:

https://leeprecision.com/ultimate-rifle-die-set/

lonestardiver

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    Eagle Mountain Lake area
    Yes, which is why I specified handgun FCD. The four die handgun sets come with the Carbide FCD, not the collet style. Not offered in 32 ACP but you can buy a separate carbide FCD in 32 s&w / 32 long / 32 ACP. This roll crimps the round. I don't know enough about 32 ACP to know if that's appropriate or if a taper crimp would be better:

https://leeprecision.com/reloading-dies/hand-gun-dies/4-die-set-pistol/

They do sell collet style crimp dies for a few different revolver chamberings but not in 32 ACP:

https://leeprecision.com/lee-collet-style-crimp-die/

The Lee rifle 4 die sets come with the collet style rifle FCD:

https://leeprecision.com/ultimate-rifle-die-set/

The .32 acp is likely better off with a taper crimp since it likely headspaces on the mouth of the cartridge. The rimmed cartridges like use a roll crimp and may not need much of a crimp.

rotor

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Texas
    FYI, I do load .32 ACP, I do use the Lee die set, I did buy the extra factory crimp die, all work perfectly. I especially like the Lee Classic Turret press. I think as a beginner I would buy the kit version as you get the scale and other tools, rarely used but nice. I have some Berrys bullets that I have not loaded in my .32 ACP yet as it is a backup defense gun (KelTec P32). I figure if you are going to use a P32 for backup you need a good defense load. Here is what I loaded and a UniqueTek case gauge.

I don't do enough reloading to use a progressive. The powder specs on the table are "True Blue", that stuff is like water. Meters great.
    IMG_2371.JPG
    IMG_2370.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_2371.JPG
      IMG_2371.JPG
      309.8 KB · Views: 229
    • IMG_2370.JPG
      IMG_2370.JPG
      41.1 KB · Views: 244

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    What I really want is the Lee 4-Hole Deluxe Turret Press Kit. But, I'm unsure of where I could set up a regular press.

OK. I talked to my SIL. He says he has the wood and the C-clamps to set up this if I want it:
    https://www.amazon.com/Precision-Va...909284&qid=1584683069&s=sporting-goods&sr=1-1

I do love the idea of a turret press.

I'm just a bit nervous that my daughter will have a fit when she sees that monstrosity in her house.

I have that one and love it. You can buy a shell plate for each cailiber, then once your dies are adjusted you can leave them on there until the next time you load that round. I bought some Lee round die boxes. If you turn that base upside down, you can sit the die plate/dies on it, and the big top covers them up to keep dust out.

https://leeprecision.com/die-box-round-red.html

Last edited:

Dancing Heretik

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 8, 2018
    San Antonio, TX
    Ok. Die sets ordered for 32 acp, 380 acp, and 9 mm. Plus calipers and the Lee book.

Now, should I get the Lee 4-Hole Deluxe Turret Kit or the Lee Classic Turret Kit and then have to order the scales, powder measure, and primer pocket tool on top of that?

I don't know about buying all this stuff at once. I'm going broke.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    Ok. Die sets ordered for 32 acp, 380 acp, and 9 mm. Plus calipers and the Lee book.

Now, should I get the Lee 4-Hole Deluxe Turret Kit or the Lee Classic Turret Kit and then have to order the scales, powder measure, and primer pocket tool on top of that?

4-hole turret is my vote.

https://leeprecision.com/die-box-round-red.html

rotor

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Texas

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1013020237?pid=785993 Good deal and free shipping.
    You will end up with two Lee books now. This of course is the beginning. You will want to order extra turrets, an auto disk riser, Lee decapping die, electronic scale, etc. Have fun. As far as .32 ACP, I just buy new cases as that is just too much to try to pick up. Start working with 9mm. The smaller cases are harder to load.

Maverick44

Youngest old man on TGT.
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    How important is the Lee Factory Crimp Die? For 32 acp, I can only find the 3 die set (the one without the crimp die).

Depends on your gun. Tight chambers need tighter tolerances. I have a 38 Special revolver that will not accept reloaded ammo unless it's been run through a FCD. I've also noticed that a lot of my guns run just a bit smoother with ammo run through a FCD.

I have not noticed any issues with using cast bullets with a FCD. I'd say 95% of what I shoot is cast.

Last edited:

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    You won't order extra turrets. You will order extra shell plates. One for each set of dies you order.

avvidclif

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 30, 2017
    Van Zandt County
    I second the four stage Lee turret. If you have the cash I would recommend the classic cast press. It will last longer so you won't be repurchasing a press in a couple of years!

Why not save up a few more coins and get a DIllon. Then you will never have to buy another one. You can't wear it out and if it breaks they fix it. Forever.

rp-

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    converse
    Sure, a Dillon at twice the price is a good choice, but you'll still need a scale, case prep tools, etc. The Lee kit is half the price of the Dillon and realistically only missing a tumbler. The Lee will never wear out with those rounds and if it does Lee will replace it just the same as rcbs, Lee, or Hornady. Lee really does make good products at a great price.

Dancing Heretik

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 8, 2018
    San Antonio, TX
    Space it out. You do t ha e to buy it all at once.

I guess I'm not going to have a choice. This was the last post I read before the SHTF at work. It's been busy all week. But, the last couple of days we've mostly stopped answering the phone and are a couple of days behind on paperwork.

Then the NICS system went down. I hope it's back up tomorrow. I don't usually work on Saturdays. But, tomorrow i am. For the first few hours, I'll be a third person and will hide in the backroom trying to catch up on paperwork.

I believe I have a lee powder scale and maybe an extra powder throw I could donate to the cause.
    That's very generous.

xdmikey

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    cypress, tx
    D H, you could go cheap/small and get the hand press. Many people use those at the range. I asked and they said no problem for a female to use; power not really needed.

I say, look to the future: you may decide to load 223, or heaven forbid, 308! Either of the turrets would allow you to do that.

xdmikey

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    cypress, tx
    TMM, how short will you seat these? Below book OAL?

I'm going to have to go below book OAL to run my bullets in a couple calibers to get them to run so I'm following up any leads I can find!

Top Bottom