Texas SOT

What did you do today in the world of reloading?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rp-

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    converse
    Broke out all the molds and cleaned them up last night. There's another one coming in the mail today. Looks like I'm casting tonight.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

rp-

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    converse
    I just recently got the FA prep machine and the 7L wet tumbler from them. The prep machine is pretty slick. I did t get the one with the trimmer though. I used a Lee trimmer that attaches to the prep machine and it worked great. Even trimming and reaming 2 cases at the same time I couldn't big it down. Run the tumbler for 30 minutes with just the pins and a squirt of dish soap to clean the pins. Then drain and add your brass. I just used dish soap and pins. Nothing else. Layed on a towel in the sun for 45 minutes to dry after that. Let me know what you try because I have another bar h I need to do and I'm curious for other methods.

Deavis

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 20, 2011
    Austin
    Replaced all the old collators on the processing machines with new 16" bowls. So much nicer with the variable speed motor and bigger bowl. Processed a little 9mm as well, lot less filling with the bigger bowls.

Attachments

• 20200511_153031.jpg
      20200511_153031.jpg
      1,004.7 KB · Views: 240
    • 20200511_105010.jpg
      20200511_105010.jpg
      1.5 MB · Views: 249

rp-

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    converse
    Replaced all the old collators on the processing machines with new 16" bowls. So much nicer with the variable speed motor and bigger bowl. Processed a little 9mm as well, lot less filling with the bigger bowls.
    Less filling = more feet up!

Cast a hundred or so bullets with the 40 and 454 2 cavity molds and a few hundred 45 and 22 with the 6 cavity molds. The little 22s are cute. They sure go fast, too. Started mixing some powder coat colors and made a.nice purple and really dark green. Gas checked about 140 of the 454s. Powder coating later this week.
    36f9d5b0b403cba409e9a31b18f3393b.jpg

Attachments

• 36f9d5b0b403cba409e9a31b18f3393b.jpg
      36f9d5b0b403cba409e9a31b18f3393b.jpg
      43.7 KB · Views: 300

EZ-E

King Turd of Shit Mountain
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2017
    Middle of no where
    I just recently got the FA prep machine and the 7L wet tumbler from them. The prep machine is pretty slick. I did t get the one with the trimmer though. I used a Lee trimmer that attaches to the prep machine and it worked great. Even trimming and reaming 2 cases at the same time I couldn't big it down. Run the tumbler for 30 minutes with just the pins and a squirt of dish soap to clean the pins. Then drain and add your brass. I just used dish soap and pins. Nothing else. Layed on a towel in the sun for 45 minutes to dry after that. Let me know what you try because I have another bar h I need to do and I'm curious for other methods.

I use a food dehydrator to dry brass. I throw it on for an hour & half @ 150deg.

EZ-E

King Turd of Shit Mountain
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2017
    Middle of no where
    Its not like the brass is dirty...lol.
    Does she use it a lot?
    If so, they aren't that expensive. About $50. The one i use the wife bought me a couple Christmases ago...i never got around to making jerky, so it ended up in the garage. You can always throw the racks in dishwasher & wipe the base down when you need it for food.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas

I picked up some of this RCBS mix for the wet tumbler. I have read about all the home made solutions but went with easy for now.

Went with the RCBS wet tumbler too as it wasn't much more than the Frankford version.

I have been using the Lee kits for trimming but wanted to try this system as trimming hundreds of cases with the Lee Lock Stud kits gets to be a pain even with a drill.
    0182ec3a3279de70db3b79b458509f02.jpg

Attachments

• 0182ec3a3279de70db3b79b458509f02.jpg
      0182ec3a3279de70db3b79b458509f02.jpg
      87.7 KB · Views: 448

rp-

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    converse
    I ordered a sample pack from Smoke a week ago and haven’t seen jack.

when I get that I’ll grab a toaster oven and start coating.
    You get it yet? If not have you sent him a message?

I powder coated the 454 bullets I cast last weekend with some new powder I picked up and it came out like trash. I tried a few ways to get it to work at different temps and times but can't get it to come out very good. I tried a second coat on them with the stuff from smoke but they're already ruined. I'm gonna scrap them and cast some more this weekend and try them with just the powder coat from smoke. Probably gonna order a couple new colors from him as well.

Tonight I'm gonna size the 40cal and coat them this weekend as well.

xdmikey

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    cypress, tx
    Got my sample pack a few days ago rp-. Day after that I got my toaster oven then had to fix my compressor/find a QD end for the hose. HD only had empty bins; harbor freight had bare pegboard as well. Today I went to Lowe’s; not going back there so I tried HF again figuring I'd buy a couple of kits and get back in business but I got away with a partial kit that was discounted and a QD fitting.

Got home and retaped all the fittings then sent all the vacuum cleaner parts I had laid out down the driveway! So now I don’t need a new compressor any more but now it’s raining!

Is it okay to coat/cook in the house? I mean does it smell bad?

rp-

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    converse
    Is it okay to coat/cook in the house? I mean does it smell bad?

LORD NO!!! Jesus the smell is horrible.

A side note, with smokes powders I run the oven at 400* and bake them for 20 minutes. Pull them out and dump straight I to a bucket of water. That's my method.

What colors did you get?

Top Bottom