APOD Firearms

What did you do today in the world of reloading?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Alpha.Geek

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2021
    Tyler "suburbs"... :)
    Have him check to see if the BCG is assembled correctly. If the bolt is 180 out it will not eject....

Sent from my SM-A125U1 using Tapatalk
    In my M16 and every AR-15 I've put my hands on, the cam pin will only go into one side of the bolt, might be tapered, and the other side staked enough to prevent it from going in the wrong way, I assume, never really though about it much, as I have never had this issue....

Are some that can be put in backwards half-assed?

I do recall my wife getting her brand new complete upper, and when we got it home the the ejector assembly was missing (ejector, spring and pin)...
    Noticed after we got it home, but I had a spare SMILEY R-Guns complete NiB BCG, so I put it in there, and it's been great...

CodyK

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Houston
    CodyK

That’s a whole lot more professional than marking on a sammich bag then crossing it out for next week’s range session!

I should start a thread about my low tech reloading routine. I do have a couple fancy store bought ammo boxes, but I always keep my factory ammo boxes, and use blank white labels to stick on the front, and write the load data on. Some of them have been used 5 or 6 times, and have labels on top of labels, with masking tape holding the end flaps on the ammo package! Here’s some 9mm I found at the back of a drawer the other day!
    0f53f6044c4cf5854ffafb0615d5b8ac.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

usmcpmi

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 15, 2009
    Central Texas
    In my M16 and every AR-15 I've put my hands on, the cam pin will only go into one side of the bolt, might be tapered, and the other side staked enough to prevent it from going in the wrong way, I assume, never really though about it much, as I have never had this issue....

Are some that can be put in backwards half-assed?

I do recall my wife getting her brand new complete upper, and when we got it home the the ejector assembly was missing (ejector, spring and pin)...
    Noticed after we got it home, but I had a spare SMILEY R-Guns complete NiB BCG, so I put it in there, and it's been great...
    Unfortunately, with the number of low quality parts that have flooded the market, there are bolts that will line up and accept the cam pin either direction. Most "higher" quality bolts will or should not...

Sent from my SM-A125U1 using Tapatalk

Lonesome Dove

A man of vision but with no mission.
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 25, 2018
    Cut n Shoot, Texas
    This picture makes me so happy. This is exactly how I pack my rounds to take to the range to test, and I’ve always felt maybe I should be more “professional” than sticking a post it note with load info to the inside top of my ammo box!
    2bc9bd5bc7fea0fc5e33545e84f5a194.jpg

It's always there where you can find it and get to it. All my ammo gets tagged as such.

Alpha.Geek

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2021
    Tyler "suburbs"... :)
    A couple hundred more 124gr PC 9mm...
    1658353405585.png

FULL STOP: Where is the Brasso, after the move?
    The wife packed it, I think, but where?

Off to Amazon.com, to buy a couple bottles for the moist (Brasso & Solvent) brass tumble desperately needed...
    no more clean brass!!!

rotor

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Texas
    Yesterday, I made some dummy .223 rounds for a friend. Used de-primed brass, no charge, only bullet.
    I made 10 and colored them blue with a Sharpie. So that he can easily tell they are dummy rounds. Or he could just buy snap caps. LOL But I didn't want him to have to wait for them to arrive in a week or two.
    Reason I made these for him is that he built an AR from a kit and tried to load live ammunition and it would not seat or eject. I really do not want him feeding live ammunition into a gun that has never been tested, in his house, in a neighborhood. I consider that highly unsafe. Waiting to hear back on how the dummy rounds cycle.
    Is this where you need a go-no go gauge?

CodyK

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Houston
    It's always there where you can find it and get to it. All my ammo gets tagged as such.

One of the guys who got me interested in reloading, told me I needed to be organized, and actually mentioned not to be the guy at the range with old ammo boxes and scribbled on post it notes. Within a few months of reloading, I was the guy with old ammo boxes and post it notes! It works well for me, and I’ve yet to mislabel or have ammo that I wasn’t exactly sure what it was. Makes me feel a lot better that this works for others as well.

wickll

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2022
    Victoria, TX
    Reloaded some .223 for my bolt action. Loading up some W748 pushing 70 gr. soft points. I do not know the twist rate on the rifle, but it seems to handle them pretty well.

CodyK

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Houston
    Went and tested out some more of the Barnes 140 grain match burner HPBT’s in my 6.5 creedmoor. My rifle LOVES the Hornady 140 BTHP’s, but I just can’t dial in a load for these Barnes! I’ve tried 3 different powders at about every charge weight published. Today I took the best load I’ve got so far using Superformance powder (just over 1/2” MOA) and played with seating a little bit. About 1/2 MOA is still about the best I’ve got. Not terrible, but I know this rifle will shoot 1/4” groups. Maybe I’m just getting greedy!

CodyK

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Houston
    Got to the range for an hour or so this afternoon (between the rain showers we got) and finally shot a couple really good groups with the Barnes 140 grain match burners that I’ve been getting inconsistent results with. With a max load of IMR4350, I seated them at 2.82” COAL and shot a group just over 1/4”.

Reactions: MTA
    Top Bottom