• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    In the late 60's when I first moved to Austin, There were 3 Academy Surplus stores in town. One in South Austin off of Ben White, one in East Central Austin, near IH35, and one in North Austin off of 183.

I always thought that these were the roots of the current Academy Sports stores.
    Capitol Armory ad

HKShooter65

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Pretty sure JFK was killed in '63.

Whoops
    My parents were dating so my memory of those years is a bit unclear, as I was an incipient ovarian follicle.

Either the gun is older that I thought or JFK was assassinated more recently that I thought.:(

I any event.....I shot it, my new old Colt, today......sweet!!!
    Cycles standard velocity CCI marvelously.
    Was shooting with a buddy with an HK P10 I really hope he wants to part with.

Last edited:

BRD@66

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2014
    Liberty Hill
    In the late 60's when I first moved to Austin, There were 3 Academy Surplus stores in town. One in South Austin off of Ben White, one in East Central Austin, near IH35, and one in North Austin off of 183.

I always thought that these were the roots of the current Academy Sports stores.

^ Me too. I was always a little anxious (condition orange) when I visited the one at the interstate.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Quite true.
    Right you are.
    Academy, to my mind, is a relatively new chain, though they started in central TX in 1938.
    Never knew that until your post prompted me to look.

"Academy Sports & Outdoors came into existence in 1938, when Arthur Gochman and his business partner purchased Southern Sales, a San antonio-based army-navy............"
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Academy_Sports_%2B_Outdoors
    Everything has a Wiki page these days!

As a kid I remember lusting for pistols at Oshman's and Montgomery Wards and as a teen at Dury's when it was on Southcross.
    Wonder where Academy was back then??

Not a clue.

no2gates

These are not the droids you're looking for.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 31, 2013
    Grand Prairie, TX

Captain

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2014
    Well I called my local gun shops and put an AR 15 on hold till I get home from work. This one will be for my wife.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

coachrick

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    north-north Austin

Kinda, sorta...According to legend around the campfire, the father of the owner of what is now Academy Sports and Outdoors owned the stores in Austin. The son bought out the tire(?) and military surplus stores in San Antonio called Southern Sales, eventually 'borrowing' the Academy name from his dad's stores and it stayed 'family owned' until Kohlberg Kravis bouth them in 2011(about the time we saw Emmit Smith and Danica Patrick in their ads). They've been around long enough to see many chains and big boxes come and go, that's for sure.

Mreed911

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 18, 2013
    Austin, TX
    Springfield Range Officer 9mm 1911. Gun has a Dawson Precision FO front with stock adjustable rear. Currently has a set of VZ 320 grips and came with factory grips. 2 factory magazines and 5 additional 10 round mags. Has a Wilson Combat magwell.

d47f0ea679b8c719920f5c49f29b3de8.jpg
    1894598c48ca4d4bc76998c15347f6ba.jpg
    c6d009446d2055e08a037ad8da842220.jpg
    1d53534acc809c2e689e127f1187e9d9.jpg

Dred

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 12, 2012
    Houston, TX
    Paid off my Rock Island Armory 22 TCM/9mm, single stack, 5" 1911 Ultra (FO front, no rail, VZs and crap magwell) at Bud's so I should have it in hand by the end of the month.

hoothrewpoo

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 23, 2011
    Dripping Springs
    DEguns.net - $579 shipped

ordered Wednesday (last week), had it Saturday. Storied Firearms on 290 (in Austin) has one in stock. I played with theirs before ordering it online.

Fairfax

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2016
    Been considering an AR15 or AK. Was at Cabelas today and handled a S&W M&P15 Sport II. Liked the way it felt. Found myself at Academy an hour later, and decided to make the purchase...but Cabelas had it for $50 less. I asked at the gun counter if they price matched, and was told to ask at checkout. Did so, and they honored the Cabelas sale price.

Look forward to shooting it tomorrow. It is my first rifle of any sort.

peeps

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 31, 2014
    Been considering an AR15 or AK. Was at Cabelas today and handled a S&W M&P15 Sport II. Liked the way it felt. Found myself at Academy an hour later, and decided to make the purchase...but Cabelas had it for $50 less. I asked at the gun counter if they price matched, and was told to ask at checkout. Did so, and they honored the Cabelas sale price.

Look forward to shooting it tomorrow. It is my first rifle of any sort.
    I'll +1 the m&p15 sport II. I bought one sunday, does that count as today? :green:

Top Bottom