What have you done to your vehicle lately?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mitchntx

Sarcasm Sensei
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Waco-ish
    Installed new shoes on the XR the old fashioned way.

2016_XR650L_02-XL.jpg

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    Yep. Hub/bearing assembly with ABS sensor. Part went for $165 shipped.

Quote from the only shop I trust was $229 for the part + $120 for labor + shop charge for consumables + tax.

I’m at less than 1/2 that all in.
    Buddy of mine drove in from Yuma to meet up with me for the Moto GP, he calls me about an hour out and says the front is making a ton of noise. He stops, lets it cool, and finishes the trip. We swapped it in the O'Reilly auto parts lot with borrowed tools in like 45 minutes. Gotta love the Chevy 3/4 tons.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    Buddy of mine drove in from Yuma to meet up with me for the Moto GP, he calls me about an hour out and says the front is making a ton of noise. He stops, lets it cool, and finishes the trip. We swapped it in the O'Reilly auto parts lot with borrowed tools in like 45 minutes. Gotta love the Chevy 3/4 tons.

Yeah, this is a really easy job to do. Six lug nuts, 2 caliper bolts, 3 shield bolts, 4 hub/bearing bolts.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    Remember the days to where you had to wash a couple bearings in gasoline. Then pack them with grease? Inspecting the bearing races. Hoping you didn't have to replace them. Adjusting the spindle nut for the proper play. Cotter key...

Now's it's a change out of a sealed bearing assembly.

Last edited:

digger

Curmudgeon
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 9, 2009
    West Texas
    Remember the days to where you had to wash a couple bearings in gasoline. Then pack them with grease? Inspecting the bearing races. Hoping you didn't have to replace them. Adjusting the spindle nut for the proper play. Cotter key...

Now's it's a change out of a seal bearing assembly.

Yeah and seems like each bearing for a wheel was 7 or 8 bucks?

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    Cheaper, but required much more frequent maintenance. If I remember right, his '06 Duramax was over 180k on the clock. Not bad for a <$100 part with an unknown history (he bought the truck used, might have been on the sand dunes a bit too much, who knows).

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Picked up my truck yesterday. The opinion from the transmission guys was that the problems were being caused by the fluid draining from the torque converter. If the truck sits for a day or two, like over the weekend when I'm not doing normal week day stuff, it causes a backflow of fluid causing it not to engage immediately and giving it that lag I was getting.

The solution: after start-up, let the truck idle for a few seconds in gear or in neutral to get the fluid flowing properly. According to what the tranny shop said, through the mechanic, it happens occasionally in Dodge/Mopar transmissions and if it continues to irk me, they can install a 'backflow preventer' to alleviate the problem. But I did get a new filter and fluid change.

They also reminded me that when I check the transmission fluid, be sure to have it either in Neutral or in Drive to get an accurate reading. I seem to remember that from my younger days but, I must have forgotten it. As this is the only Dodge product I've ever owned for more than a few months.
    Good news I suppose.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne

Now's it's a change out of a sealed bearing assembly.

Oh the memories. And a replacement kit was $12.

This bearing has 148k on it.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Put 1,650 miles on my truck in the last two days.

Ready to run the warranty out so I can delete and tune it. Tired of dealing with DEF. Ready for a little better mileage too.

Power definitely isn't lacking so not too worried about that aspect.

Headwind and mountains don't bother it a bit. Haven't weighed it so no info on that but seems to have the aerodynamics of a brick.
    ab5f0342f9449a41f6aa5b953f918339.jpg

TxStetson

Opinionated and Irritable
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    The Big Country
    Put 1,650 miles on my truck in the last two days.

Ready to run the warranty out so I can delete and tune it. Tired of dealing with DEF. Ready for a little better mileage too.

Power definitely isn't lacking so not too worried about that aspect.

Headwind and mountains don't bother it a bit. Haven't weighed it so no info on that but seems to have the aerodynamics of a brick. View attachment 146914
    Well, that bumper catches more air than you think, and those fenders do too. The topper does help, but the big red parachute behind you is probably the biggest part.

avvidclif

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 30, 2017
    Van Zandt County
    Delete away. My 2009 F350 was deleted and tuned. Whoopie cow dookey. Driving w/o rv 16mpg on a good day. Pulling rv 8.5-9mpg. Both hand figured. 42k mi deleted and haven't broke even yet. The first 36k was stock so I had a good idea what it would do. Enter DOT inspections. Ca, Az, and Co are cracking down on deleted trucks. A quick stop, a mirror under the right side, and no CAT or DPF. On wrecker to a dealer to be returned to stock before you can continue, Abt $7.5k on Ford.

Look on RV groups for more info.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Well, that bumper catches more air than you think, and those fenders do too. The topper does help, but the big red parachute behind you is probably the biggest part.
    Yep. I was hoping the V nose would be more effecient but seems less aerodynamic than the old nose cone setup.

Driving in the rain shows a big air blast hitting the ground in front of the trailer. Must be following the topper down the back of the truck and into the road.

The next topper (on the next truck probably) will rise higher in the back. Hopefully that helps. That's what I used to run and seemed to have less drag.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Delete away. My 2009 F350 was deleted and tuned. Whoopie cow dookey. Driving w/o rv 16mpg on a good day. Pulling rv 8.5-9mpg. Both hand figured. 42k mi deleted and haven't broke even yet. The first 36k was stock so I had a good idea what it would do. Enter DOT inspections. Ca, Az, and Co are cracking down on deleted trucks. A quick stop, a mirror under the right side, and no CAT or DPF. On wrecker to a dealer to be returned to stock before you can continue, Abt $7.5k on Ford.

Look on RV groups for more info.
    I am on a few hotshotting forums and have heard the horror stories. Commercial Vehicles really get watched.

I may cut the top of the exhaust open and gut it leaving the appearance of an intact system.

I don't want it any louder so it shouldn't draw any suspicion when done.

Top Bottom