Lynx Defense

What have you done to your vehicle lately?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    oooh, pretty! It farkles!

Until the fresh cut alloy divots corrode back to white. Then no more shiny. Each divot would have to be polished again.

I can see it on a show motorcycle that never sees high humidity or rain. On anything else. I'd consider it a waste of time.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    Made some saddle adapters for my cheap ass jackstands...

No disrespect, Mr Dan.

What makes you confident that the crushing of about 1/2" of rubber won't cause the jack stand to shift off the anchor point. Crushing you?

How is the channel strip bolted to the puck suppose to prevent the puck from slipping off the Jack stand perch?

Estimating it. There will be at least 800# on the puck.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    What makes you confident that the crushing of about 1/2" of rubber won't cause the jack stand to shift off the anchor point. Crushing you?
    Might be a fair point. Probably best suited for supporting pinch welds.

How is the channel strip bolted to the puck suppose to prevent the puck from slipping off the Jack stand perch?
    The force.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    Have you stuck them under the car and then did the required "Safety Shake"?

Let the car down off the jack. Jack stand holding the weight and then pushing and pulling on the car to see if the stands shift, fall over, or if the car falls off the stands?

TheDan

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    Have you stuck them under the car and then did the required "Safety Shake"?
    Haven't used them yet. I'll report back when I do...

I will say that using the puck by themselves on pinch welds is sketchy as hell. That's why I made these things.

For jack points that are flat I think I'll take the pucks off. Don't need that extra rubber adding "wobbliness" like you pointed out.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    I've known of two people getting crushed. One was a guy in high school. He had four Jack stands under a truck with just enough room to get under it. One Jack stand slips. It fell and compressed his chest. Two more inches and he would've be dead.

The second person was the father of the ex husband of my wife at the time. He was replacing a transmission on a Dodge Dakota 4x4. The truck slipped completely off the stands. He's dead.

Lolololol, I've seen things my man and it'd suck serious a$$ to hear you got hurt trying not to scratch the chassis on an Italian car. It's not worth it. Phuck that.

Wildcat Diva

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2016
    Well, today I got my car inspected and paid to transfer the title to me finally (my dad’s MIL gave it to me a while back), and got the registration completed!

I’m all legal now!

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Jack stands are dangerous. That's why I don't use them.

Changed the struts on my wifes car. Front weekend before last and a huge PITA.

Rear last weekend and a huge PITA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    I'm not sure you understand the function of the pucks. There's lots of cars that require them.

I understand their function. Today's cars require very specific jack points. Before I stuck a Jack under the camaro. I looked up the Jack points. There's spots that'd a puck would work but a bunch that dont.

If all tires are in the air. I have 8 Jack stands under the car. One to back each other up. Always a safety shake. If its falls. It won't be on me.

I've cushioned Jack stands but it was with a 1/4" sheet of rubber. Again. 8 total stands.

TheDan

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    If all tires are in the air. I have 8 Jack stands under the car. One to back each other up. Always a safety shake. If its falls. It won't be on me.
    Yep, that's good advice. The more the better. I put a couple of the wheels taken off or ramps or something under the car just in case of catastrophic failure, too. Also make sure I'm always wearing two condoms.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    Yep, that's good advice. The more the better. I put a couple of the wheels taken off or ramps or something under the car just in case of catastrophic failure, too. Also make sure I'm always wearing two condoms.

I had a boss supremely tear into my a$$ about shaking the car before you are in under it. This was a two post car lift. I did it with Jack stands but took the hydraulic lift for granted.

He himself, as the car was 2' in air, came up and started rocking the hell out the car. It didn't fall. "Now you can lift it".

Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    I had a boss supremely tear into my a$$ about shaking the car before you are in under it. This was a two post car lift. I did it with Jack stands but took the hydraulic lift for granted.

He himself, as the car was 2' in air, came up and started rocking the hell out the car. It didn't fall. "Now you can lift it".
    He was absolutely correct. Lift the vehicle just enough to shake before it goes up. Check each corner. Your life and the vehicles safety depends on it.

I don't know what the fuss is about jack stands. The jack is the dangerous part. Take care of your stands, inspect them every time you pull them out, and ensure PROPER placement. When lowering the vehicle on your stands, make sure to stay clear. The most you should need for your average vehicle is 4. One key is making sure they are rated for the vehicle. El Cheapo stands may work for your Chevy Cobalt, but you will want something a little better for that 1500 series.

They aren't hard - they just demand respect.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    Oh the memories. And a replacement kit was $12.

This bearing has 148k on it.

New assembly arrived today; installed after dinner. Torque, test drive, retorque.

536b7b1d88d707eaa462772f19a11622.jpg

Last time I’ll see this until I have to pull the tire again.

cac8e6e5fdea5336361bb17a6ae9900d.jpg

Ole Cowboy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch
    Having owned a shop I am a strong believer in jack stands and I have spent many hours under cars, trucks you name it and never had an accident or had one in my shop.

Jack-stands: Cheap don't come good and good don't cheap!!! They typically come in 1, 1.5, 2 and 3 ton. All that are used to support dead weight are 3 ton units with a cradle support, no flats. There are a few 1 T units where are used to support something you may be working on, like changing out a u joint on a driveshaft the little 1 ton can hold up shaft while you make the swap, that if prob 40 lbs on a 1 ton.

All my hydraulic units were 12 tons, except a couple of small units used for positioning components to heavy to lift with your hand and if you needed both hands for parts alignment.

Positioning: Policy is all jack-stands are positioned under no moveable components. Lift and place under the frame to raise vehicle, then use others to lift your component, axles etc. Lift the entire vehicle, remember wheels roll! Make sure the vehicle is level!

Think with some common sense, the life you save may be your own...

Top Bottom