Guns International

What have you done to your vehicle lately?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    Do anything else you wanna do on that bike at the same time you’ve got those pipes off. I was cursing myself when I had to yank mine again to pull the cam chest for a cam swap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The exhaust and fuel controller are the only thing major that's going to be done. After that, there's nothing else to mess with. Besides cosmetic.

With everything done to it. It'll have a new chain, +3 rear sprocket, exhaust and the fuel controller. Top speed is around 125mph. Getting to that is the fun part.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    I took it to a parking lot this past Sunday and was given a cam gear glued to a piece of tree carcass.
    stickers.jpg

southtexaspilot

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 8, 2009
    San Antonio
    That is a SEXY Harley. Never really been into them but that is nice!

Thanks! I was never a Harley guy until I sat on this thing. I had my heart set on a BMW S1000RR. Harley shop across from my hotel had this sitting on the showroom. One test ride later and it was sold. I added the air suspension (looks better slammed), exhaust, new ecm, wide band O2, and cams. All work done by me with the help of YouTube. It’s been fun to work on.

Lost Spurs

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 24, 2011
    BCS
    Got a new rear tire for the CB1000R. Will be the 4th one with 9500 miles on the bike. It was on tire #2 when I got it with 2500 or so miles. #3 went on at about 6000. I went with another Shinko 009 raven. Not the best for a race track but $95 shipped and to the door in 3 days from Revzilla ks hard to beat.

I also ordered a new battery. The one in it was not factory and didn't fit that well. Twice now it has required a jump start. I got one of the WPS lithium batteries. Seems to weigh less than 2lbs.

I will be bringing it to the honda dealer for a mount and balance. When there I will grab up 2 new filters and crush washers for the drain plug. At 10,000 miles I will switch to full synthetic oil. I will probably pick mobile 1 but I have not decided yet. The plan will be to drain it and let it sit over night to drop. Top off in the morning and put a couple hundred miles and change again.

I am also sick of riding in the rain. Ready for some dry fall weather... cool mornings (bike runs out like a scalded ass dog) and a perfect ride home...

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

southtexaspilot

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 8, 2009
    San Antonio
    Got a new rear tire for the CB1000R. Will be the 4th one with 9500 miles on the bike. It was on tire #2 when I got it with 2500 or so miles. #3 went on at about 6000. I went with another Shinko 009 raven. Not the best for a race track but $95 shipped and to the door in 3 days from Revzilla ks hard to beat.

I also ordered a new battery. The one in it was not factory and didn't fit that well. Twice now it has required a jump start. I got one of the WPS lithium batteries. Seems to weigh less than 2lbs.

I will be bringing it to the honda dealer for a mount and balance. When there I will grab up 2 new filters and crush washers for the drain plug. At 10,000 miles I will switch to full synthetic oil. I will probably pick mobile 1 but I have not decided yet. The plan will be to drain it and let it sit over night to drop. Top off in the morning and put a couple hundred miles and change again.

I am also sick of riding in the rain. Ready for some dry fall weather... cool mornings (bike runs out like a scalded ass dog) and a perfect ride home...

I’d average 4000 miles on my CBR for the rear. Went through two rears for every one on the front (cupping). I don’t know where you’re located but if there’s a Cycle Gear nearby, they are much cheaper than a dealer for a tire mount and balance. They don’t take the whole bike though. You gotta take em just the wheel.

Lost Spurs

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 24, 2011
    BCS
    I actually have a cycle gear near by. I only go to the honda dealer as I have got my last 2 bikes from them and have built a relationship with them. It also gives me a chance to plan my next dream. They have it there but I am not ready to drop 15k on a new bike...

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    For the first time in 12 years, I decided to check out the spare tire on my 2003 Expedition. I bought the vehicle used in 2006 with 31k on it. Quite a hassle dropping the spare, but at least I know how to do it now.

I expected it to be cracked and weather worn, but it looks brand new. It has never touched the road apparently. Of course it was completely out of air. And filthy dirty from 85,000 miles of road grime. Got out my my power washer and cleaned it up, put some tire shine on it, and it looks like I just bought it.

Hooked up my 12 volt compressor to fill it to the recommended 35 psi. At about 30 psi, the compressor hose broke. Managed to detach it quick enough to save 17 psi in the tire. Ordered a new compressor from Amazon, but in the mean time thought I would air the tire with a hand pump. Hah. 20 pumps to raise the pressure by 1.5 lbs. By the time I got to 25 psi, my math told me I had about 150 more to go. I decided to just wait for the new one to arrive.

After 3 days, I check the tire again. Still at 25 psi. Good to go. Filled it to 35 psi and remounted it under the vehicle. Good for another 12 years. :)

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    Tires have an expiration date. No matter how it's stored. It use to be 10years from the day it was popped out the mould. Current critique is its a lower number of 6 years. Again, regardless how it's stored.

So if you mount the spare. Drive it like a temporary donut. Slow and easy.

Blow outs ain't that big of deal. Unless it tears the fender liner out and wreaks everything around it. Then it becomes an issue.

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    Tires have an expiration date. No matter how it's stored. It use to be 10years from the day it was popped out the mould. Current critique is its a lower number of 6 years. Again, regardless how it's stored.

So if you mount the spare. Drive it like a temporary donut. Slow and easy.
    I'm aware of that. I definitely plan to drive slow and easy with it, should I need it. Date of delivery on the vehicle when it was new was actually October of 2002, so the tire is well past it's expiration date. I had one set of tires on this vehicle that went bad after 5 years and only with 5k or so on them.

All four looked like this. Dry rot I suppose. That's why I was expecting the spare to be really bad.

37682038962_91779c31dc_c.jpg
    IMG_0017

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    After the expiration date. The original DOT certification for speed, heat, wear. Are no longer accurate. So if the tire was certified to run a max of say...170mph. After the expiration date. That's not accurate anymore.

With the cracking on the sidewall and the cracks along the tread. The tire is trash. It's still a spare and will work but in reality it's junk waiting to blow out.

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    My next project was to clean up the headlight lens on the driver side of the Expedition. I bought the 3M headlight restoration kit. Turned out to be a little more difficult than I expected.

https://www.amazon.com/3M-39008-Hea...&sr=1-4&keywords=3m+headlight+restoration+kit

Planned to finish it up in one afternoon, but it ended up taking two days of sanding and polishing. Used up all the sanding/polishing disks on one headlight. kit is supposed to be good for two. I think the problem was my drill. The instructions say the drill should turn between 1250 and 1500 rpm. My 40 year old Craftsman is only rated at 850.

Still, the lens looks a little better than it did, although there are still some imperfections that I couldn't get out. They show up on the after picture.

Before
    43847895070_a713a7dc00_c.jpg
    IMG_2243 by

After
    45615446082_5fb858beca_c.jpg IMG_2245 by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/152171653@N05/]
    [/url]

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    With the cracking on the sidewall and the cracks along the tread. The tire is trash. It's still a spare and will work but in reality it's junk waiting to blow out.

That wasn't the spare. The spare was in great shape. That pic is one of the four I replaced a few years ago. I discovered the cracking after driving 90 miles on SH130 at 80+ MPH, yikes. I made the return trip at 50 MPH, heh.

Next time I need new tires, I will get five new ones and replace that spare.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    That wasn't the spare. The spare was in great shape. That pic is one of the four I replaced a few years ago. I discovered the cracking after driving 90 miles on SH130 at 80+ MPH, yikes. I made the return trip at 50 MPH, heh.

Next time I need new tires, I will get five new ones and replace that spare.

Stay safe, Mr Boss.

mroper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Katy, TX
    My next project was to clean up the headlight lens on the driver side of the Expedition. I bought the 3M headlight restoration kit. Turned out to be a little more difficult than I expected.

https://www.amazon.com/3M-39008-Hea...&sr=1-4&keywords=3m+headlight+restoration+kit

Planned to finish it up in one afternoon, but it ended up taking two days of sanding and polishing. Used up all the sanding/polishing disks on one headlight. kit is supposed to be good for two. I think the problem was my drill. The instructions say the drill should turn between 1250 and 1500 rpm. My 40 year old Craftsman is only rated at 850.

Still, the lens looks a little better than it did, although there are still some imperfections that I couldn't get out. They show up on the after picture.
    I bought that kit too. Did you put any type of coating or film on the lense after? so youtube vidoes I looked at said to do that

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    I bought that kit too. Did you put any type of coating or film on the lense after? so youtube vidoes I looked at said to do that

I put a coat of Collinite 845 insulator wax on the lens afterwards. I plan to re-apply it every 3 months or so. Supposed to prevent the lens from yellowing again after all the original protective coating is sanded off. There are other products specially designed for headlight lenses, but this is what I had on hand. Great car wax too.

https://www.amazon.com/Collinite-Li...e+845+insulator+wax&psc=1&smid=A1T0VEFK4F7RX4

BTW, be sure to mask everything off around the headlight. I used two layers of automotive masking tape. I know I saved the paint several times. And use a drill with at least 1250-1500 rpms. Don't be alarmed at first when it really messes up the lens. By the 3rd step, it starts looking better.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom