Carl_Gustav_M4_Kokonaisturvallisuus_2015_(cropped).jpg

glenbo

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 3, 2014
    San Leon
    I got this offer in an email early today, told wife about it. She said go ahead and buy it. Well, Christmas is coming up soon, and my 73rd birthday isn't far behind that. I'm still in a bit of shock that she said buy it.

Catherine1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2021
    USA
    I would NOT bug out.

To each their own - no problem.

(I have been stranded in blizzards/ice storms but that is NOT for this thread now. Working late, etc. AWAY from home back in the 70's.

I was evacuated for a hurricane once in my life while living in VA one time too. I went to another USN bride's house (Nam era.) since I lived ACROSS FROM THE WATER and she did not. So even though I did NOT want to leave the tiny beach cottage in OCEAN VIEW, VA - I did since my late husband's ship was leaving - heading out to sea for the HURRICANE and he insisted that I leave with my dog.

I have LIVED THROUGH many BAD BLIZZARDS, ice storms, etc. on the East Coast and in the Great Lakes region AND though hurricanes but only evacuated once growing up and LIVING on the East Coast.)

I Never planned on 'bugging out' or that SORT of thing at ANY AGE or in any state.

I am 73 years old now and I sure as heck am not planning on bugging out NOW nor when I was younger out here in Montana (WAY UP in the Sapphire Mountains butt up to wilderness or in town.) or where I lived back east in the Great Lakes region farm/lake country = boonies with my late husband OR on the East Coast where I was born and raised.

If I was OUT traveling within my home state - I would HEAD HOME as quickly as I could. I would do the same IF I was out of state too. I no longer drive so I would be with my MT husband.

The ONLY time that I would leave my present home is IF there was a wildfire that destroyed it or if the FIRE was too close to my home.

Or if I was flooded out of my home here in this VALLEY.

And if those type of things happened to my home - I would RETURN to my LAND as quickly as I could and have a MAKE DO SHELTER of some type or a 'camper' or a van or whatever set up.

I sure as heck am not planning on being a sniper or any of that STUFF in some WW3 type of movie!

And if it was THAT BAD - I would not want to LIVE just to survive for a couple of days or whatever time I have left on this earth with some BS NUKE ATTACK or MORE WARS that some 'people' seem to want and SALIVATE for more bs wars. Yes, they are ON this forum, ALL OVER the WWWeb, IN the news and they come in ALL political warmongering FLAVORS. Ugh!

The BEST gun that you own, have WITH YOU or ON YOU, and are very GOOD in shooting is the one that you would need for self defense IF it should come down to it.

I do agree with what some of @bbbass said too.

A good reliable 22lr rifle is a good choice. OUTSTANDING choice but I would prefer a simple BOLT ACTION RIFLE or a lever action rifle for MYSELF. That IS what I would suggest to a NEWBIE or an OLDIE who may ask this question when it comes to FIREARMS.

I would choose a good 22lr OR a good 22wmr BOLT ACTION RIFLE because that IS what is HERE NOW and I STILL SHOOT THEM even though I gave my last 2 firearms (2 CZ rifles.) to my husband.

In the past, I would mention some of MY FORMER and SWEET but much heavier lever action rifles in 22lr CALIBER and ONE in 22wmr caliber AND a former SWEET Made in CT MARLIN 336C black walnut/blue steel 30-30 Win caliber rifle too. ALL tack drivers, sweet shooters and VERY RELIABLE RIFLES. But heavier rifles and in TOP BRAND NAMES.

(I might mention some of my (Or HIS!) FORMER PISTOL CALIBER RIFLES that SHARED AMMO with our handguns too. Ones in RF and in CF calibers IF push came to shove too!)

Anyway, my suggestion would be is to have a GOOD and reliable RIFLE (Or a handgun or a shotgun even though I NEVER OWNED a shotgun myself.) that you have with you AND you know how to shoot well, care for, clean and have AMMUNITION ON HAND to feed it.

22lr

or

22wmr

or BOTH of them in 22lr and in 22wmr

AND

a good 30-30 Win. caliber lever action rifle.

We have PLENTY of 22lr and 22wmr ammunition on hand even though I do not shoot that much any longer.

My husband does RELOAD and I NEVER did reload but he does HAVE his OWN factory 30-30 Win ammo ON HAND plus his own reloaded stock. He has reloaded since the early 70's.

I did NOT mention handguns here since I no longer own any handguns, I no longer shoot any handguns so therefore I no longer open or conceal carry any handguns.

SIDE NOTE HERE:

I WOULD ALWAYS HAVE some QUALITY MADE - GOOD FIXED BLADE KNIVES, a couple of axes and a couple of 'hawks' INSIDE my HOUSE and not just IN my husband's car or truck or in the garage.

A KNIFE - A GOOD FIXED BLADE KNIFE and a GOOD AXE would be something that I would ALWAYS HAVE around even if there was NO firearm around.

I ALWAYS HAVE A GOOD fixed blade KNIFE on me when I go out or CLOSE TO ME in my house.

And the fixed blade knife ON ME depends on where I am going and what I am doing when it comes to the BLADE LENGTH.

IF push came to shove and I would have to choose between a KNIFE or an AXE versus a firearm especially in some situations AND in some 'states' - I would ALWAYS CHOOSE A GOOD KNIFE first.

Your mileage may vary - NO problem.

Old Lady Cate

PS: I think that black powder rifles are a VERY good idea but I never owned a b/p rifle. I did buy but I NEVER DID SHOOT IT - an Italian single action revolver (Uberti? CRS now.) that I gifted after my late husband died back east. A famous old style Navy replica one. IT was beautiful and I gave it to another Veteran who was like a NEPHEW to me and my late husband before i moved out west.

Catherine1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2021
    USA

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    <>

IDK that this was intended for NATURAL disasters themselves; but we all watched the instant urban anarchy coupled with illegal acts of local & State government officials during the post-Katrina Floods.

AsTexas has repeatedly learned, disasters come in several varieties: point, local, regional, & general/national/continental.

In the first few, other intact neighboring areas can send help. Regional disasters include disrupted transportation & communications, so some centralized relief coordination is needed, and the various levels of remaining functional or ad-hoc government require coordination AND supervisin.

But most consider “WTSHTF” to be absence of legitimate central government.

Of course our domestic enemies in D.C. would intend to keep us separated, isolated, to pick us off one at a time. They must realize that any generalized national armed uprising, IF COORDINATED, would quickly overwhelm them.

So, instead of quibbling cartridges, We the People should be studying & preparing alternate emergency communications & transportation.

So, Yes, do ‘’prepp”, but consider the above, or any efforts are doomed to utility.

Locally, support your own Sheriff and those of neighboring areas.

After seeing “911/WTC”. Katrina, COVID-19, the Vaccines Attacks, the Open Border, subversion of the educational system, etc, we now KNOW the intentions of the Tyrants !

Are our responses but “Too little, too late” ?

leVieux

<>

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    I think when SHTF hits, life is going to become rainbows and daisies and puppy dogs and people will come together and sing Kum By Yah and we'll all suddenly realize our differences are miniscule and we'll stop trying to control one another and just live in harmony with one another and with nature and we'll magically have clean energy and we'll all achieve spiritual ascension.

Or it'll be Mad Max, World War Z, and I Am Legend all rolled into one. Won't really matter what you start the mess off with because if you live long enough, your shit will change as things break, you run out of ammo or spare parts or you happen across better stuff. The inverse of that is you don't live long and whatever you have becomes a loot drop for the next guy. Run what you got. Stealth and guile and a Glock can get you a shiney AR or AK. Your squirrel gun can do the same.

Food, medicine, bandages, ammo for what you already have and things to keep your abode up are arguably more important than having a whiz bang $2-3,000 rifle and gear. Even more important will be having already developed strong relationships with neighbors and friends who can come together for security reasons and to take care of one another and share labor, as one man cannot do everything alone, and one man against a horde is just an easy score for the horde.

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    I think when SHTF hits, life is going to become rainbows and daisies and puppy dogs and people will come together and sing Kum By Yah and we'll all suddenly realize our differences are miniscule and we'll stop trying to control one another and just live in harmony with one another and with nature and we'll magically have clean energy and we'll all achieve spiritual ascension.

Or it'll be Mad Max, World War Z, and I Am Legend all rolled into one. Won't really matter what you start the mess off with because if you live long enough, your shit will change as things break, you run out of ammo or spare parts or you happen across better stuff. The inverse of that is you don't live long and whatever you have becomes a loot drop for the next guy. Run what you got. Stealth and guile and a Glock can get you a shiney AR or AK. Your squirrel gun can do the same.

Food, medicine, bandages, ammo for what you already have and things to keep your abode up are arguably more important than having a whiz bang $2-3,000 rifle and gear. Even more important will be having already developed strong relationships with neighbors and friends who can come together for security reasons and to take care of one another and share labor, as one man cannot do everything alone, and one man against a horde is just an easy score for the horde.
    <>

Yes !

<>

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    I got some groceries, some peanut butter, to last a couple of days.
    <>

It has become clear that “a couple days” is wishful thinking.

The large cities will hit crisis points first, their populations will turn to us in the countryside.

We must be prepared to both help & repel them.

Pray !

<>

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia

You have won all the internet points for the day. This is literally the all around best rifle setup for everything in SHTF - hunting, stand off distance for horde management, and if things get real sporty, you have an area effect weapon. Now excuse me while I slink off to the corner with a few kleenex and the image of this thing... :green:

Top Bottom