• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    What if you are being asked by someone who doesn't have anything to grab and is asking what he should get?
    Someone new, no experience and no rifle, would do well to start with a Ruger 10/22 stainless carbine. Or, a Henry levergun in .22 LR.

The Ruger is ubiquitous, so are parts & ammo. One more thing: Get plenty magazines right away !
    Gun Zone Deals

gll

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    Someone new, no experience and no rifle, would do well to start with a Ruger 10/22 stainless carbine. Or, a Henry levergun in .22 LR.

The Ruger is ubiquitous, so are parts & ammo. One more thing: Get plenty magazines right away !
    If I had no rifle and saw a 10/22 and a AR-15, both with extra magazines and ammo laying on the ground and I couldn't take both, it wouldn't be the 10/22 that I'd take...

An AR can be had for not much more than a 10/22, magazines are cheaper, work longer, and are even more ubiquitous, parts are as available, and the AR would be as viable for small game hunting, and moreso for defense. Starting an adult with a 22lr as his only rifle in a SHTF scenario is just plain silly...

LEP

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 7, 2015
    El Paso
    Other than the 1 you have, & are most familiar with, go with something where ammo is readily available & common.
    I would lean to a bolt gun-easier to maintain & not picky regarding ammo.
    In addition, whatever allows you to acquire a better gun. :D

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    If I had no rifle and saw a 10/22 and a AR-15, both with extra magazines and ammo laying on the ground and I couldn't take both, it wouldn't be the 10/22 that I'd take...

An AR can be had for not much more than a 10/22, magazines are cheaper, work longer, and are even more ubiquitous, parts are as available, and the AR would be as viable for small game hunting, and moreso for defense. Starting an adult with a 22lr as his only rifle in a SHTF scenario is just plain silly...
    Me, too; but your reply changes the criteria. I doubt that anyone on here has NO experience, except for the spies!

Lost Spurs

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 24, 2011
    BCS
    Neighborhood work I would go small bore and grab my 96/22 with the integral.

City work would be a sub 16in AR with a can.

With road travel involved it would be my 20in AR or the M1A. On roads I would rather move slow and keep the distance great.

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk

Coyote9

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jan 13, 2020
    Granbury Texas
    FN FAL, proven most reliable battle rifle, 7.62 x 51 takes all North American game, provides standoff range over most assault rifles, adjustable gas block keeps it in the fight when dirty, only downside is weight, since I am too old to run, I keep the ammo in a wagon! relatively inexpensive. and I have one so no need to search for newer shiny toys.

gll

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    FN FAL, proven most reliable battle rifle, 7.62 x 51 takes all North American game, provides standoff range over most assault rifles, adjustable gas block keeps it in the fight when dirty, only downside is weight, since I am too old to run, I keep the ammo in a wagon! relatively inexpensive. and I have one so no need to search for newer shiny toys.
    I'm old too, and going nowhere for SHTF, but even around my own property my FAL, AR-10, and M1-a are all more rifle than I want to carry...

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas

He's making the argument that most people are not smart enough to learn how to operate an AR.

The AR is just vastly more versatile than a 10/22 for most purposes.

paknheat

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2022
    Texas, Somewhere near Palestine
    This one.
    giphy.gif

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Skeezix

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 17, 2023
    Houston
    Old thread, but I would have to agree with the above.

Gedunk

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 16, 2020
    Austin
    I read a first person account by an Egyptian who lived thru the lawlessness caused by the Muslim Brotherhood revolution. He said large mobs on the hunt for food and water slaughtered those who defended their homes. Either by weapons fire or setting fire to their homes. Lesson learned was he hid as much food as possible out side of his home and left some for the mob to take.

So what’s the lesson learned? Bug out or stay? Buy emergency food in containers you can hide now? I don’t know. If you live in a neighborhood maybe you could organize a militia.

Top Bottom