• ...and so much more!
  • easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    I don't want to downplay what advice others have given, but my advice would be to look at websites like budsgunshop.com find what you think he would like in the price range you can afford and then ask here what others think. You may get better served.
    Texas SOT

Coiled

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 25, 2016
    SETX
    He's a Kalashnikov fan and likes something that's super durable, accurate, reliable, and kind of a jack of all trades for the time being, as in long range/short range/home defense/be a badass all around do everything rifle.
    Me too. Por favor, after you get BF one of these, shoot me a PM on where you found it, K? :p :cool:

AR15 prices are loooooowww right now and the swapping / trading / borrowing of accessories you mentioned is a bonus. Besides orbitup's comment on ammo, it's difficult to go wrong with this selection. Good luck.

Amy Lynn

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2017
    Dallas, TX
    I don't want to downplay what advice others have given, but my advice would be to look at websites like budsgunshop.com find what you think he would like in the price range you can afford and then ask here what others think. You may get better served.
    While this makes sense, I honestly am not even sure where to start. Really this has been helpful do far

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    You sound dangerously close to a John.

More verbiage (or a less dirty mind on my part) would help.
    I was actually trying to keep it in the context of the thread, besides my daughter is 40 and it's just creepy to me to proposition someone younger than my daughter which I believe she may be.

Amy Lynn

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2017
    Dallas, TX
    Me too. Por favor, after you get BF one of these, shoot me a PM on where you found it, K? :p :cool:

AR15 prices are loooooowww right now and the swapping / trading / borrowing of accessories you mentioned is a bonus. Besides orbitup's comment on ammo, it's difficult to go wrong with this selection. Good luck.
    Hah! I'll be happy to share the location of the genie once I'm done with him! :p

AR15 seems more like a great option the longer this thread gets..

Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    There's a handful of good AR budget manufacturers out there. I would look into STAG, Smith and Wesson, Colt, Windham Weaponry, and Sig Sauer. Do some online research, and then go look at local gun shops and pawn shops. Decide ahead of time if you want it with full iron sights, front sight post with a rear red dot, or red dot only. None of those options are wrong because they will most likely be upgraded eventually anyways - but make sure it has one of those three setups so he's not stuck waiting to afford a sight before he can go play with it. Primary Arms sells some outstanding budget red dots and scopes if you find yourself buying a rifle that needs one, but it will generally be cheaper just to get the red dot as part of the package. Sig Sauer offers a very nice rifle with a very nice optic. I think thiers is under $1,000.

If a new rifle turns up being too much, and he already has a rifle, get him a nice range bag, or shooting accessories. If my wife got me a nice range bag with ammo, electronic ear muffs, and a staple gun put in it...I would be pretty proud.

You could also look at pistols as a cheaper option too. Rifles are nice, but pistols can be used daily for protection.

Coiled

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 25, 2016
    SETX
    Hah! I'll be happy to share the location of the genie once I'm done with him! :p

AR15 seems more like a great option the longer this thread gets..
    I was thinking of unicorn but yeah, you got it. ;)

I've never daily carried a rifle in my ride but with all the unrest of late, a lower priced one seems the thing to do and another AR was what 1st came to mind. Sooooooo many options.

Coiled

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 25, 2016
    SETX
    I was actually trying to keep it in the context of the thread, besides my daughter is 40 and it's just creepy to me to proposition someone younger than my daughter which I believe she may be.
    A fotay-sumpin-hottie would make me feel young again. :laughing:

Rebel

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 20, 2014
    Echoing some previous suggestions:

Some sort of AR15. Prices are cheeeap right now. S&W M&P15, Ruger AR556 are both very good options.

SKS is good if he likes AK-type weapons, as it uses 7.62x39 ammo. Very accurate, too. I love my Norinco.

Ruger 10/22, cheap, utterly reliable, and fun for the whole family.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    Why not ask his best friend? I've suggested gift to one of my buddies wife for years. If no friends cash is always king! He can add it to his stashed cash or blow it on bills!

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Most of the options listed are going to run you $600.

Even an entry level AR, tax/ transfer fee, a few mags, and some ammo is going to cost you that.

SKS or AK will be about the same.

Remember it is going to cost you $10 to fill every magazine.

Look at a Ruger 10/22 or even a 22/45 if he likes handguns. These will run half the cost of the other options. The added benefit of a 22 is cheap ammo. That same $10 will get you 150+ rounds to shoot.

Be realistic about your budget and investment.

A bigger rifle to look at or a 22 to shoot. Plus, everybody should own a 22.

Top Bottom