• ...and so much more!
  • easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    True, but don't tell me that nothing bad can ever come from it. The safest way is to let the other person go through the background check of receiving the firearm.
    Texas SOT

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    Coming from a AK enthusiast, I agree with the AR or 10/22 as well. I like the idea of an SKS as well, but as with AKs you really need to know just what you are buying.
    Keep in mind that an SKS is a surplus rifle and each one can vary in condition and description. You are looking in the $400 range and what goes as good to excellent condition can vary from vendor to vendor. Also if you buy it online and not off the shelf you might be looking at one that will be coated in cosmoline grease and will need to be stripped down and cleaned well, more so then a brand new gun, before taking it out shooting. That might not be a big deal, but I figured it was worth mentioning.
    The AK market is swamped with a lot of US made models that have a hit or miss reputation. As far as US made models I would say the Palmetto State Armory is looking like the better choice. However, being that they are priced around the same price as an imported NPAP or WASR which I would prefer, Id say stick with the tried and true. Whatever you do, I would stay away from the IO brand and many would say the RAS models as well. I'm not trying to scare you away from an AK, I just think that buying an AK takes a good amount of research unlike say something like an AR. But if you have the time, Have at it. A good AK won't let you down. You are looking in the $700 range for a good one, though those prices seem to be dropping slightly recently.
    And as mentioned, you can't go wrong with an AR. The market has never been better price and selection wise. Among others, I have the Ruger AR and have nothing but great things to say about it.
    As Jermey mentioned, you will need to make a choice between configurations. if you decide on a flat top model with no sights, you could always slap on a set of Magpul BUIS and be good to go if you want to wait on an optic of some kind down the road. Same would go for a model with a just a front sight post. You could buy a cheap Magpul rear sight for the time being. Many of the models that come in these configuration already have these sights included, but again, something to consider. As stated, $600 is probably the top of the price range you would be looking at, though shopping around will definitely get you lower. I paid $460 for my Ruger plus $20 to transfer it from Sportsman's Guide as an example.

You can also check out a few of these sites that will nab you some great deals as well. Most vendors are going to have their deals listed there and it's a good way to one stop shop and get a feel for prices and selection. They both have similar addresses though are not the same.

http://gun-deals.com/
    https://gun.deals/category/rifles

Last edited:

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    He's a Kalashnikov fan and likes something that's super durable, accurate, reliable, and kind of a jack of all trades for the time being, as in long range/short range/home defense/be a badass all around do everything rifle. We both want him to have a nice big safe filled with goodies in the future when he's done with school and has a little more free cash, but the budget is a really real thing right now.

If he is a Kalashnikov fan (and bless him as he knows what a superior weapon it is!) and wants something "super durable, accurate, reliable, and kind of a jack of all trades, as in long range/short range/home defense/be a badass all around do everything rifle" then get him an AK!

If he already has one, then get him another one! There are a number of varieties of AKs made.

Let us know what he's got and we can recommend others!

Cheers! M2

ed308

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    DFW
    That's true unless that person is legally forbidden to have a firearm, or they live in another state. In the latter case, the firearm must be received through an FFL in the receiver's state.

Effective Jan 2017 ATF 4473 Oct '16 instructions: Question 11a

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/docs/4...n-record-over-counter-atf-form-53009/download

https://www.nrablog.com/articles/2016/4/buying-and-selling-a-firearm-giving-someone-a-gun/

Correct me if I'm wrong, on question 11a, she's not acquiring the FA on his behalf. She's the buyer of the FA and using her own money to purchase the FA. She's the buyer not him. If she intends to give the FA to her boyfriend as a gift and he can legally own the FA, how's that illegal in the Texas?

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Correct me if I'm wrong, on question 11a, she's not acquiring the FA on his behalf. She's the buyer of the FA and using her own money to purchase the FA. She's the buyer not him. If she intends to give the FA to her boyfriend as a gift and he can legally own the FA, how's that illegal in the Texas?

It's not. A person can purchase a firearm as a gift as long as the intended recipient can legally own it. Some people simply don't understand the law or misinterpret it.

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    It's not. A person can purchase a firearm as a gift as long as the intended recipient can legally own it. Some people simply don't understand the law or misinterpret it.
    Majormadmax and Younggun are right. It is perfectly legal to buy a firearm and give it to someone that can legally own it as a gift. Even the ATF says so.
    A lot of FFLs, especially the big box stores, are more worried about covering their own ass and won't if they know it though.
    As long as she uses her own money, fills out the form as the buyer and he can legally own the firearm it is perfectly legal.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Nightwatch

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2014
    Nobody said that it was illegal, nor do the instructions I posted.

There ARE considerations to make in each case to determine legality:
    1. Is the person I plan to gift this to allowed to possess a firearm?
    2. Does this person live in the state that I live in?

Nightwatch

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2014
    Nobody said that it was illegal, nor do the instructions I posted.

There ARE considerations to make in each case to determine legality:
    1. Is the person I plan to gift this to allowed to possess a firearm?
    2. Does this person live in the state that I live in?
    One legal issue, as Easy Rider said, could be this. One buys and gifts a firearm to someone who they believe is an upstanding citizen. That person has a felony in his past which the buyer (gifter) doesn't know about. Because of the felony, that is no longer a "bona fide" gift, even though the buyer didn't know about the felony. That's why except in cases where I know the person very well and know his background, I wouldn't give him the firearm-I'd give him a gift certificate or money. That way I couldn't be implicated in any wrong-doing at all.
    If both parties are honest-no problem.
    If one is dishonest or makes up a story about what happened...the buyer could be in trouble he didn't earn.

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    Look, If a firearm that I gave to someone ever is used in an illegal activity, then I would be questioned by authorities (legal issue). That can take place at either my home or place of work.
    I can then be told to provide that information in court (legal issue). A gift certificate for a firearm doesn't come back to me. Just sayin.

Nightwatch

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2014
    One more legal issue that can pop up is you buy the firearm for someone you trust is allowed to have it. They get arrested later or use it in a crime, and they're wiggling to get some of the problems off their back. The ATF can tell them that if they admit that you knew either their felonious state or their criminal plans for the gun and bought it for them anyways...they win some and you stand to lose a lot. I'll be standin' right behind Easy Rider in the gift certificate lane---but I won't bring my puppy.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Look, If a firearm that I gave to someone ever is used in an illegal activity, then I would be questioned by authorities (legal issue). That can take place at either my home or place of work.
    I can then be told to provide that information in court (legal issue). A gift certificate for a firearm doesn't come back to me. Just sayin.

So, you buy someone a car and they use it to rob a bank, are you liable for that?

No, you're not, and the same goes with a firearm.

You're also a "bill of sale" guy, aren't you?

Top Bottom