• ...and so much more!
  • Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Once he's finished with school he will be. Currently his bills are paid with his Disability and GI Bill he's currently receiving from our wonderful nation as a thank you for his military service. He's being as responsible as one can ask.

I don't, however, understand why you felt the need to go out of your way to be unnecessarily judgemental over a girl you don't know trying to do something nice for someone.

It sounds like he doesn't have much extra money. The best fix is to get a job.

I didn't read it as judgemental, I read it as the truth.
    Target Sports

ed308

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    DFW
    If he wants to go to school and not work, good for him. Some can do it. Others, not so much. Being a full time student can be a full time job. Me, I worked my ass off in the summer so I wouldn't have to work when at school. Different strokes for different folks.

With that said, have you considered letting him build his AR? Building ones own AR is a fun project and great way to learn how the AR functions. The only part that requires specialized tools is installing the barrel to the upper receiver. But since he's located in the Dallas area, I doubt he'll have much trouble finding someone with a barrel wrench, action block and a vise. Take a look at Palmetto State Armory build kits. I built my first AR back in the earlier 1990. Back then, ARs weren't very common plus you didn't have all the content available on the internet like You Tube and gun related websites. With the content available on the internet, building an AR is easy.

Amy Lynn

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2017
    Dallas, TX
    Why not ask his best friend? I've suggested gift to one of my buddies wife for years. If no friends cash is always king! He can add it to his stashed cash or blow it on bills!
    Asking his best friend is actually a really good suggestion. Not sure why I didn't think of this already to be honest

Amy Lynn

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2017
    Dallas, TX
    If he wants to go to school and not work, good for him. Some can do it. Others, not so much. Being a full time student can be a full time job. Me, I worked my ass off in the summer so I wouldn't have to work when at school. Different strokes for different folks.

With that said, have you considered letting him build his AR? Building ones own AR is a fun project and great way to learn how the AR functions. The only part that requires specialized tools is installing the barrel to the upper receiver. But since he's located in the Dallas area, I doubt he'll have much trouble finding someone with a barrel wrench, action block and a vise. Take a look at Palmetto State Armory build kits. I built my first AR back in the earlier 1990. Back then, ARs weren't very common plus you didn't have all the content available on the internet like You Tube and gun related websites. With the content available on the internet, building an AR is easy.
    He has mentioned he wants to build an AR at some point, but currently I'm not sure he has the time. Having said that he might make the time for such an endeavor if he didn't have to worry about the monetary aspect of it. I just might not see him for a while LOL

ed308

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    DFW
    Building an AR takes around 1-2 evenings if you take your time and get it right. If you built ARs in the past, only couple of hours.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    I'll put out my point of view, my GF knows not to buy me a large gift without discussing it with me. I know it blows any surprises, but she would never be able to get what I would actually want, so even though it's a nice gesture, it is a waste of money.

ETA: Especially since it's my money buying the gift anyway.

ed308

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    DFW
    Let me add...., if he builds one AR, he'll likely build more. Black Rifle Disease is a serious disease. And it never really goes way. It's an addiction that most can't kick. It may go into remission, but more likely than not it'll come back and he'll build more.

Amy Lynn

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2017
    Dallas, TX
    Let me add...., if he builds one AR, he'll likely build more. Black Rifle Disease is a serious disease. And it never really goes way. It's an addiction that most can't kick. It may go into remission, but more likely than not it'll come back and he'll build more.
    Knowing him, this would happen, and thus, I would never see him again! :p lol

boomgoesthedynamite

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2013
    Sachse (NE DFW)
    I didn't see if he has any firearms now, so I am assuming he doesn't. I think every person should own a 22 rifle. They are versatile, fun, and cheap to feed. I would go with a 10/22, just because they are modular and you can customize however you want. You can get those for under $200. A couple boxes of ammo and you are way under $300.

I say save the AR for when there is more money. If the budget is higher and you can support his ammo habit, just about any of the ARs are a good choice. You would have a hard time to find a "bad" one.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

dsgrey

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    Denton County

texasnurse

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 30, 2016
    Another suggestion a Leatherman Wave or Charge Multitool price range from $100-$170 depending on Main blade and Options
    $6.95 engraved and $2.95 gift box.

PM for Details

Sent with my IPhone with electronics and fuzzy logic...

Coiled

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 25, 2016
    SETX
    Maybe even one for a cool girlfriend. :D

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    Just a thought and I didn't see if anyone else brought it up. There are legal issues that have to be considered when giving firearms as a gift. Probably a gift certificate for a firearm would be your best course.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    It's perfectly legal to give a firearm as a gift. No legal issue at all. None.

Nightwatch

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2014
    Last edited:
    Top Bottom