0751B465-E5C3-4A08-9ABA-442DD8FFAC33.png
      233.5 KB · Views: 264

Big Green

In Christ Alone
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 5, 2018
    College Station
    Thank you gentlemen. Not one I’ve had any experience with. I’ll let the wife know what she captured.

She wants to capture a frog next so the kids can see nature at work. In the name of science she says. We do homeschool and she tries to make everything hands on as much as possible in addition to their courseware.

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    Thank you gentlemen. Not one I’ve had any experience with. I’ll let the wife know what she captured.

She wants to capture a frog next so the kids can see nature at work. In the name of science she says. We do homeschool and she tries to make everything hands on as much as possible in addition to their courseware.
    This time of year I would suggest just letting it go. Eastern hognose snakes pretty much just eat toads. Makes them kind of a pain to keep in captivity and you need to either ;

1) keep toads on hand to feed them through the winter or;

2) set up for hibernating

3) get a captive bred rodent eating snake and keep frozen rodents ( thaw before feeding)

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    3) get a captive bred rodent eating snake and keep frozen rodents ( thaw before feeding)

This reminded me of this...

"The US Federal Aviation Administration has a unique device for testing the strength of windshields on airplanes. The device is a gun that launches a dead chicken at a plane’s windshield at approximately the speed the plane flies.

The theory is that if the windshield doesn’t crack from the carcass impact, it’ll survive a real collision with a bird during flight.

It seems the British were very interested in this and wanted to test a windshield on a brand new, speedy locomotive they’re developing.

They borrowed FAA’s chicken launcher, loaded the chicken and fired.

The ballistic chicken shattered the windshield, broke the engineer’s chair and embedded itself in the back wall of the engine’s cab. The British were stunned and asked the FAA to recheck the test to see if everything was done correctly.

The FAA reviewed the test thoroughly and had one recommendation:

“Use a thawed chicken" "

Big Green

In Christ Alone
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 5, 2018
    College Station
    This time of year I would suggest just letting it go. Eastern hognose snakes pretty much just eat toads. Makes them kind of a pain to keep in captivity and you need to either ;

1) keep toads on hand to feed them through the winter or;

2) set up for hibernating

We’ll let it go soon. If she finds a frog tonight or tomorrow she’ll try to feed it. She just wants the kids to watch it happen.

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    We’ll let it go soon. If she finds a frog tonight or tomorrow she’ll try to feed it. She just wants the kids to watch it happen.
    Toad. Look around your hose bib after dark or before sunrise early in the morning. Around any bird feeder/water as well

Inspector43

Everything I Own Is Paid For
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 12, 2017
    Colorado County, Texas

Don't touch.

BRD@66

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2014
    Liberty Hill
    Hognose is nonvenomous. They have fangs - used to puncture swelled up toad frogs. If you aggravate them a little, they'll spread their head/neck to look like a cobra. If you aggravate them a lot, they'll play dead - most notably, while they're lying on their back "dead", if you roll them back over onto their belly, they will roll right back onto their back.

birddog

bullshit meter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    nunya
    Highly poisonous. It actually secretes a very effective neurotoxin.

I’ve handled juveniles up to 3 foot specimens since I was a kid. I’ve never been bit, never heard of a bite. fwiw, Their toxin is secreted in extremely small amounts.

I wish we had the snake around our place like you do. I’d have a blast snake hunting (and keeping a few :)

birddog

bullshit meter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    nunya
    Middle daughter found it right outside back door on patio. Already playing possum.

I was kidding about secreting a neurotoxin, BTW. Should have been more over the top.

I need to take a trip and hang out on your back porch :)

Baby hogs make really good pets. If you find a toad that’s road kill put it in a ziplock and rub thawed frozen pinkie mice on it and leave it in its enclosure. It will feed eventually, probably at night.

Top Bottom