• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    In one week, a "cobra posse" (recruited/trained by the biologists of the APWD) rounded up 18 of them & removed them to a zoo, out of state.

You have not lived with the pucker factor inherent in flicking-a-bic, despite being under strict light discipline, on a dark night, in triple canopy jungle, to see if the foxhole you were intent on occupying before the next mortar round hit wasn't already occupied by a .... cobra.

Pussies indeed ... you live or die with your choice.

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    You have not lived with the pucker factor inherent in flicking-a-bic, despite being under strict light discipline, on a dark night, in triple canopy jungle, to see if the foxhole you were intent on occupying before the next mortar round hit wasn't already occupied by a .... cobra.

Pussies indeed ... you live or die with your choice.
    Respect

TheMailMan

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 3, 2015
    North of Kaufman
    Every time the Marines at Camp Pendleton head to 29 Stumps for training they are given a class about NOT PLAYING with the snakes. Those rattlers there aren't real big but they pack a huge punch.

Every time they get to 29 stumps some 03walkalot gets bit on the hand. If they're smart they get to the Corpsman and get it treated. If they think they can treat it themselves they end up losing part of their hand and getting a less than honorable discharge.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    Every time the Marines at Camp Pendleton head to 29 Stumps for training they are given a class about NOT PLAYING with the snakes. Those rattlers there aren't real big but they pack a huge punch.

Every time they get to 29 stumps some 03walkalot gets bit on the hand. If they're smart they get to the Corpsman and get it treated. If they think they can treat it themselves they end up losing part of their hand and getting a less than honorable discharge.

TheMailMan,

When I went to ROTC Summer Camp at Ft Sill, OK in 1968, one of our unit members cracked a bone in his foot & couldn't walk well enough to participate in one of the "planned events" during the last week of training.

He was provided with a lawn chair, a .410 shotgun & several boxes of birdshot by the tactical staff to thin out the rattlers (on the other side of the huge pasture that we were moving through).

Cadet SGT Robey shot 40+ plus rattle-tails in the 3 hours that he was sitting there.

As we learned that day, Ft Sill has NO shortage of "fanged friends".

yours, satx

birddog

bullshit meter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    nunya
    View attachment 176764 Friend of mine found this one today. Choked to death on a frog.

A hawk or roadrunner will be the beneficiary of this murder/suicide

Some toads here in the US are extremely toxic. Poison maybe?

Most snakes can disarticulate their lower jaws to swallow large prey, hence the reason their windpipe extends up to their lower jaw.

snake quote Capture.JPG

We had an O at one of our training facilities who was terrified of snakes. The door to his office had a good sized gap between the door and the floor, one of the guys came across a big non-poisonous snake while training and we took it back to the base and let it go under under the door into his office and shoved a towel under the door to keep it from getting out. The next morning a few minutes after he walked into his office, we heard screaming, hollering, furniture smashing, it sounded like a bull was running loose. He tore up his office trying to get away from that snake :)

Attachments

• snake quote Capture.JPG
      snake quote Capture.JPG
      35.3 KB · Views: 679
    Last edited:

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    birddog,

Your snake in the office story reminds me that I really should make a confession (to someone, even here) about something that I did over a half-century ago at boarding school.
    (The victim is long dead now, as is the teenaged girl, Rachel G____, that I was crazy over, who was killed on a M/C accident in 1971.)

The Dean of Women expelled my GF from the school for drinking a glass of wine at her elder sister's wedding in CA in the Summer between our Junior & Senior year.
    (We were of course underage in those long-ago DAZE.)

As an act of really UGLY revenge, I caught & turned loose an armadillo in her office (which had grass-green carpet) on Saturday morning.
    On Monday AM, she was angered beyond reason by the mess in her office.

NO, I never got caught. - No telling how much time that the Dean spent trying to find out who the "- - - - - horrible person who damaged my new carpet was".

yours, satx

Last edited:

birddog

bullshit meter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    nunya
    back in the day you could joke and prank folks and everyone gave as good as they got. No one got bent out of shape, it was good natured fun and in hindsite we probably did it to deal with stress.

karlac

TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    We had an O at one of our training facilities who was terrified of snakes. The door to his office had a good sized gap between the door and the floor, one of the guys came across a big non-poisonous snake while training and we took it back to the base and let it go under under the door into his office and shoved a towel under the door to keep it from getting out. The next morning a few minutes after he walked into his office, we heard screaming, hollering, furniture smashing, it sounded like a bull was running loose. He tore up his office trying to get away from that snake :)

As an Army Shavetail in the late 60's, was OIC of a drug smuggling aircraft interdiction site (radar) working with the Border Patrol, between the Southern border and Lordsburg, NM.

Porta-potties of yore were not secure as they are today.

Not a day went by that some troop did not come hollering out of one of the "latrines", with his britches at half mast, because a rattle snake had decided to share the shitter.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    karlac,

IF I had to choose "company in the porta-pot" it would be a rattler rather than the "company" that one of my school chums had in an AK porta-john in 2011. = a POLAR BEAR.

Jack said that, "I was sitting there for my morning constitutional when I hear grunts & huffing. - YEP, polar bear. She settled down for a siesta & I was 'stuck' in the john until another pipe-liner came in & discovered her about 2 hours later."

Jack laughs about that morning NOW but I would presume that he was "scared spitless" at the time.

yours,satx

karlac

TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    karlac,

IF I had to choose "company in the porta-pot" it would be a rattler rather than the "company" that one of my school chums had in an AK porta-john in 2011. = a POLAR BEAR.

Jack said that, "I was sitting there for my morning constitutional when I hear grunts & huffing. - YEP, polar bear. She settled down for a siesta & I was 'stuck' in the john until another pipe-liner came in & discovered her about 2 hours later."

Jack laughs about that morning NOW but I would presume that he was "scared spitless" at the time.

yours,satx

No shit ... :evil:

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    I think your autocorrect may have given you the wrong adjective given his location at the time of the bear encounter.;)

Hoji,

I suspect that he was already the other possibility. = Have you NEVER been "scared spitless"?
    (I definitely have been in that situation more times than I care to remember or repeat.)

Remind me to tell you my "rich man's new mistress" story. - It's a HOOT.

yours, satx

Last edited:
    Top Bottom