• ...and so much more!
  • diesel1959

por vida
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2013
    Houston & BFE
    Not a personal insult, a statement of fact backed up by all of the purse clutching and hand wringing every time a snake thread happens.

In addition to the aforementioned “sissies” comment, there is a ton of ignorance out here as well, also evidenced by the tons of misidentified snakes in pictures, “my grandpa tole me once” stories and the abundance of folks that absolutely refuse to believe the facts backed up by decades of research.
    Dems/Progressives/Leftists like to look down on folks and tell others that "if only they were more educated about xxxxx, you would surely be in sympathy with yyyyy and you'd understand the cause". That type of argument always makes me want to puke on their shoes . . . but if you don't realize that this is the very same scheme of imperative & admonition that YOU (@Hoji) use in support of ReptileLife, then you're not nearly as smart as I've always believed you to be. Please don't look down your nose at folks who come to different conclusions than you do on a given subject and don't presume to know what their level of knowledge on the subject in question might be.
    ARJ Defense ad

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    Dems/Progressives/Leftists like to look down on folks and tell others that "if only they were more educated about xxxxx, you would surely be in sympathy with yyyyy and you'd understand the cause". That type of argument always makes me want to puke on their shoes . . . but if you don't realize that this is the very same scheme of imperative & admonition that YOU (@Hoji) use in support of ReptileLife, then you're not nearly as smart as I've always believed you to be. Please don't look down your nose at folks who come to different conclusions than you do on a given subject and don't presume to know what their level of knowledge on the subject in question might be.
    No cause I am pushing, just calling out ignorance.
    This thread alone has two separate posters with rat snakes misidentified as copperheads.

Vast majority of snake bites in this country are in the hands and the vast majority are males between the ages of 17 and 27. Alcohol is involved in up to ( and probably over) half.
    These are facts. Documented goddamned facts. Yet one of our resident Bernie supporters has to pop in, reach into his diaper and fling shit while denying the facts.

At least the Ginger Avenger ( this might be construed as a personal insult)can identify the snakes he is killing and actually has legitimate reason to kill every snake he sees( livestock protection) and is intellectually honest about his dislike of snakes.

Doubt he will sustain a bite either as in all of his snake pictures there is an important part missing on the snake;)

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    To All,

Fwiw, in 1966-70 & 74-77, I was the camp manager & ranger for a BSA camp in AR.
    (The council executive council in 1968 INSISTED that we remove all the snakes from the areas where the campers might be. - Wishing to keep my job, I had them moved across the river.)

The council exec committee changed their minds when the next year we were "up to our toucas in" rats & mice. = Don't mess with Mother Nature & you'll generally be just fine.

BTW, in 22 years of the camp being open, we had had EXACTLY ONE snakebite by a poisonous snake (a 2-foot Copperhead). - A Scoutmaster in 1961 decided to catch one with his hands & got bitten on the index finger.
    (He was back at the camp the next AM, after being treated at the local ER.)

yours, satx

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    No cause I am pushing, just calling out ignorance.
    This thread alone has two separate posters with rat snakes misidentified as copperheads.

Vast majority of snake bites in this country are in the hands and the vast majority are males between the ages of 17 and 27. Alcohol is involved in up to ( and probably over) half.
    These are facts. Documented goddamned facts. Yet one of our resident Bernie supporters has to pop in, reach into his diaper and fling shit while denying the facts.

At least the Ginger Avenger ( this might be construed as a personal insult)can identify the snakes he is killing and actually has legitimate reason to kill every snake he sees( livestock protection) and is intellectually honest about his dislike of snakes.

Doubt he will sustain a bite either as in all of his snake pictures there is an important part missing on the snake;)

Haha

No insult taken here. Might have to grab that one.

And yep, I would try to avoid taking a certain course of action with dogs unless forced, but a chicken snake eating eggs, or anywhere close enough to the chickens that I see it gets none.

Our old blind Basset got bit nearly every year by a copperhead but dogs are tough. Livestock I imagine will handle a snakebite equally well. I just don’t like snakes. Evil slithery bastards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    To All,

Speaking of snakes, when I was in undergrad college in AR (Dinosaurs roamed the Earth when I was an undergrad.), some jackass turned loose a group of Egyptian Cobras near Springdale in September or October.
    (Despite a lot of expense & interviews, the ASP never found out who did that EVIL deed. - One person was bitten but survived, with prompt treatment.)

In one week, a "cobra posse" (recruited/trained by the biologists of the APWD) rounded up 18 of them & removed them to a zoo, out of state.

As that Winter was a VERY cold year (with numerous days down in the single digits), with lots of ice & snow, that was the end of the plague of cobras.
    (Nonetheless, when Spring came the locals were VERY careful lest a cobra NOT have been killed by the bad Winter.)

yours, satx

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    So, just looking at the eyes of a black mamba.
    They look pretty round to me....

ZX9RCAM,

Other than in a zoo/snake farm, I doubt that anyone will ever see a Mamba in CONUS.

Btw, have you seen the ANIMAL PLANET television show about the couple in RSA that removes snakes from private homes in Africa??
    (They catch LOTS of Mambas IN houses/yards.)
    That pair is either REALLY BRAVE or just plain "NUTS".

yours, satx

Last edited:

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    So, only poisonous snakes in the CONUS have round eyes?
    Pit vipers( rattlesnakes, copper heads, and cotton mouths ) have elliptical pupils. The coral snakes have round pupils.

The rest of the nonvenomous snakes will have round pupils in CONUS.

This is why being able to positively identify by markings is more important than head shape or pupil configuration. If you are that close without knowing.......

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    So, only poisonous snakes in the CONUS have round eyes?

ZX9RCAM,

NOPE. - None of the PIT VIPERS in CONUS have round eyes. .

Btw, some of the Water Moccasins (at least up in NETX, where I'm from) are SO DARK colored overall that they LOOK black.
    (I killed one that "joined me in the boat" that was BLACK for sure on Caddo Lake, with a load of rat-shot out of a .22 revolver. = I sent him to a taxidermist to be made into a snakeskin display & he LOST my snake. !@#$%!)

yours, satx

Last edited:
    Top Bottom