What stage of gun ownership are you in?

Discussion in 'General Firearms & Ammo' started by breakingcontact, Nov 8, 2013.

1. breakingcontact

breakingcontact TGT Addict

Oct 16, 2012
    Outside Austin
    When i was young i had just a 10/22 and shotgun. I didnt see any need for a pistol.

I went off to college and after several people were shot to death within 2 blocks of my apartment i went and bought a cheap but reliable handgun, a Makarov. Later an AR and a bolt action rifle.

Then strangely enough, while i was in the military i wasnt really into buying guns or shooting. I guess shooting machine guns and M16/M4 several times a year on pop up target ranges was enough fun.

After the time in the military i got back into guns. I was a Ruger fanboy. I thought they could do no wrong and i bought a lot of Rugers. I then sold most of them as i found out what i prefer in pistols and rifles. (still dont have shotgun preference figured out)

So long story short...after buying and selling a lot of guns, ive mostly figured out what i like, need and want. I try to buy to keep now. I was big on having a backup for each gun but ive gotten away from that and basically have a gun for each "slot" or "need". Ive started keeping my guns long term which makes me more willing to get extra mags, parts and customize them a bit such as putting on better sights.

So where are you at in your buying/collecting/owning?

Last edited: Nov 8, 2013
  2. BG1960

BG1960 Well-Known

OL says I am in the Obsessive/Compulsive stage.
  3. General Zod

General Zod Well-Known

Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    Right now I'm comfortable with what I've got, but there are things I don't have that I would sincerely like to acquire...
  4. kyletxria1911a1

kyletxria1911a1 TGT Addict

May 22, 2010
    I wanted everything at first. But now i am happy with what i have.
    But as bills get paid i will bet 1 or 2 more a baer, brown. Sti all in ss.
    And a . 50 cal semi
  5. GlockOwner

GlockOwner TGT Addict

Feb 15, 2013
    Dallas (Oak Cliff)
    I'm at the "variety is the spice of life" stage. I want all different kinds.....*sigh*.....the most expensive stage I assume.
  6. Charlie

Charlie Illiterate TGT Supporter

Mar 19, 2008
    Kerr County
    The guns I have now I've had for quite a while, which means I must like them over the ones I've traded/sold. Although I do have seller's remorse for every gun I've ever gotten rid of. I've inherited several guns from family and will probably keep them for the kids and grand kids. Overall I think I happy with what I have (for now ........... :) )
  7. txbikerman

txbikerman TGT Addict

Jul 10, 2013
    Fairly happy with what i have now. Only looking for a compact 1911 for carrying , and maybe a large revolver
  8. Younggun

Younggun Doer of Deeds TGT Supporter Admin

Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Happy with my current line up but doubt I will ever stop buying.
  9. grumper

grumper Well-Known

Jul 5, 2012
    I'm jaded. Went through the "wow that's neat phase" and sold the FS2000, Sig 556, FNC, and now all I have are ARs.

Anything I buy now is either in danger of being banned or will increase in value.
  10. shooterfpga

shooterfpga TGT Addict

Jul 24, 2011
    Conroe, TX
    I have always been a methodical gun owner. But i just recently got into 22s. Having shot high powered rifles since i was 4 i never saw the lighter side of things. What made me switch to 22lr was i was tired of using expensive 5.56 on small game when 22lr could do the same at a cheaper rate and no overkill.