Target Sports

What Stupid Stuff Have You Done With A Gun?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    No one has really done anything stupid themselves huh? Interesting. Lol
    I had a locker room pop with my AR.

No one else in the building heard it.

Bolt was to the rear, checked the chamber and bolt face, but neglected to pull the mag (there are extenuating circumstances, but no excuses) Sent the bolt home and what should have been a click, left a small hole in a 2x12 bench and a crater in the concrete floor. Ooops.

I made some changes to my unload procedure to prevent it from happening again.

Sent from your mom's house using Tapatalk

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Driving around the ranch with my dad and one of the Larkin boys (can't remember which one).
    I was in front, he was sitting behind me.
    All the sudden BOOM.

Luckily the rifle, I think it was a .243, had the muzzle pointing down, under my seat.
    Nice hole through the floor pan.

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    I had a locker room pop with my AR.

No one else in the building heard it.

Bolt was to the rear, checked the chamber and bolt face, but neglected to pull the mag (there are extenuating circumstances, but no excuses) Sent the bolt home and what should have been a click, left a small hole in a 2x12 bench and a crater in the concrete floor. Ooops.

I made some changes to my unload procedure to prevent it from happening again.

I watched a fellow instructor put a hole thru his hand while we were running qualls. He was an arrogant prick to begin with a real know it all so it was bound to happen.

When we switched to glocks we had numerous NDs when people cleared the chamber before dropping the mag. Most went into the sand barrel but a couple went who knows where. One over my head on day.

Also after an officer was killed and during some high stress times another officer fired a round of rubber ball buck in the chow hall. Hit the ground first and everyone in there was in tactical gear so no one had so much as a welt but the warden who was right infront of the guy had to excuse himself to change his shorts, or something.

All instances of over familiarity breeding contempt for basic safety. If not breaking 2 rules at once its usually a learning experience for everyone around. Otherwise someone can get hurt or killed.

cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    I watched a fellow instructor put a hole thru his hand while we were running qualls. He was an arrogant prick to begin with a real know it all so it was bound to happen.

When we switched to glocks we had numerous NDs when people cleared the chamber before dropping the mag. Most went into the sand barrel but a couple went who knows where. One over my head on day.

Also after an officer was killed and during some high stress times another officer fired a round of rubber ball buck in the chow hall. Hit the ground first and everyone in there was in tactical gear so no one had so much as a welt but the warden who was right infront of the guy had to excuse himself to change his shorts, or something.

All instances of over familiarity breeding contempt for basic safety. If not breaking 2 rules at once its usually a learning experience for everyone around. Otherwise someone can get hurt or killed.
    Yeah... Shit happens, but it can be prevented.

lightflyer1

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 2, 2015
    I have done stupid stuff many times and lived through it all, mostly without a scratch. Lucky I guess. Most of them I was alone and no one knows what happened but me, and I'm not telling. Bad enough with guns but I handled explosives in the Army too!

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    11 or 12 years old, I wondered if a BB would hurt shot point blank at my foot with leather shoes on. Placed the Daisy Model 25 on my right shoe and pulled the trigger. Literally shot myself in the foot. BTW, it DOES hurt. Hurts like hell as a matter of fact. Didn't break the leather or the skin on my foot, but damn. Same effect as if I had used a hammer.

HawkeyeSATX

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2014
    Not too long ago, found out the hard way that a Springfield 1911 I traded for had a half cock hammer fail while I was clearing the weapon. The slide slipped out of my hand while clearing, and didn’t eject the live round and slammed into battery, and subsequently fired off the live round.
    Good thing I had it pointed in a safe direction, otherwise I would have been a statistic.
    Instead, it was my bathtub that took the shot on the side and dented it horribly!
    Needless to say I got rid of that 1911 ASAP.

Hawk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    Driving around the ranch with my dad and one of the Larkin boys (can't remember which one).
    I was in front, he was sitting behind me.
    All the sudden BOOM.

Luckily the rifle, I think it was a .243, had the muzzle pointing down, under my seat.
    Nice hole through the floor pan.

Some guys where I lived went out one night and were not so lucky. Shot in the head. They never got over that.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    I giggled at "locker room pop" and immediatley thought of The Good Guys movie. (desk pop - lol)

When I was about 10 I found some shotgun shells and cut the shell and emptied the shot out. I would then place the almost empty shell on the end of the barrel of my bbgun and pull the trigger. It was LOUD! And made me very happy. Until my bb gun barrel cracked.

Had a hard time explaining that to my dad. He knew I was up to something stupid, but didn't figure it out.

At least I was smart enough to know that I needed to empty the shot out of that shell.

mroper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Katy, TX
    When I was about 14 a friend of mine found some starter pistol blanks another found some hairspray and had a lighter. they torched the blanks until they cooked off I got hit with a piece of brass in my cheek still have a tiny scar. It wasn't healing about four days later my dad got a pair of tweezer and pulled a small piece of brass out of my cheek.

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    I've had a pair of would be NDs. One after doing trigger work on a 10/22. Wanted to do a bump check against the stock, verify the bolt release slingshot mod worked and make sure I didn't take too much off of a bolt face.

Bump check passed so I loaded a round that I had pulled the bullet from into the chamber. Cocked the bolt back and to my surprise the primer popped off. So glad it wasn't a loaded round. After finally reading the manual I saw where Ruger tells you never to load the rifle from anything but the magazine. Turns out the precense of the magazine slows the bolt down and guides it straight as well. Lesson learned.

Years ago after getting my first 1911 I remember thinking about how safe it was with the redundant safeties. I had just cleaned it and decided to test the grip safety. My heart almost stopped as the hammer dropped while the gun was pointed at my chest. I had turned it toward myself and thought I wouldn't be able to pull the trigger since I wasn't firmly gripping it. I was wrong, luckily not dead wrong.

Even though no bullets went flying, those instances have made me even more cautious and attentive around guns.

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    A friend of mine got a new 7 mm WSM. Great rifle! Accurate and it dropped deer on the spot. We had his truck out in the field on a deer lease and he spotted a coyote. I heard him say, "Watch this!" and he laid that rifle across the hood. Before I could say anything, "Bang!". He missed the coyote, but he didn't miss the hood. Left a serious dent in it. There were like 20 deer hiding in the brush near where that coyote had been trotting along, and they scattered in every direction. Fortunately, he's the kind of guy that recognizes when it's his own fault and we had a good laugh over it.

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    Reason #97 Why I Don't Like Glocks: Had a Glock 17. If you have a Glock, then you know that you have to pull the trigger before you can break it down for cleaning. Got the pistol out for cleaning and I was SURE it was unloaded. I was about to pull the trigger, but my head reverted back to the training that I had when I was very young and I ran the slide just to make sure. Yeah, there was a loaded round still in the chamber. I sat there for a while thinking about how close I came to doing a dumb@ass thing.

Reason #1 - Why I Sold My Remington 700 BDL. Beautiful rifle. I worked for a pipeline company in those days and got invited to a deer lease by some valve company. (Back when companies didn't restrict such things.) Great lease, fun group, etc. Spotted a nice buck the first morning and lined up to shoot it as it stepped out from behind a bush. Clicked off the safety in anticipation of the shot and "BANG!", the rifle fired and the deer headed for the next county. I checked it and couldn't find a problem. I thought that somehow I must have accidentally pulled the trigger. Then, a similar thing happened while I was on a shooting range. I had the gunsmith look it over and he said he found a small metal burr, but he couldn't make the safety cause it to fire. Next time I had it out hunting, the lease we had was split by a highway. It was lunch time and I was heading into camp. Since I had to cross the road, I went to unload the chamber. I sat down on a convenient tree stump with the rifle across my lap and clicked off the safety - with my hand no where near the trigger - and "Bang!" it went off and a bullet ricocheted off a tree about 3 feet away. (You can't open the Remington bolt while the safety is on - unlike the Winchester Model 70 and other rifles.) That rifle went in the closet. When I went through some hard times, I took it to a gun show and sold it. Later on, 60 Minutes did a piece about how Remington was refusing to acknowledge a known issue with the safety on their Model 700s.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    I have sold guns. That’s about as stupid as have gotten!

baboon,

I wasn't that smart. - I traded a really nice Mauser C96 with a shoulder stock for a 15 YO Rambler station wagon, as I was afoot & trying to go to college on half of a scholarship.
    (I'd be afraid to even guess what a NICE C96 is worth.)

yours, satx

jigtossin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2021
    El Paso, TX
    Cleaned my 19x and forgot to install the spring 2 times in a row............ & that was my 1st time operating the slide too, with the help of youtube.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    Reason #97 Why I Don't Like Glocks: Had a Glock 17. If you have a Glock, then you know that you have to pull the trigger before you can break it down for cleaning. Got the pistol out for cleaning and I was SURE it was unloaded. I was about to pull the trigger, but my head reverted back to the training that I had when I was very young and I ran the slide just to make sure. Yeah, there was a loaded round still in the chamber. I sat there for a while thinking about how close I came to doing a dumb@ass thing.

Reason #1 - Why I Sold My Remington 700 BDL. Beautiful rifle. I worked for a pipeline company in those days and got invited to a deer lease by some valve company. (Back when companies didn't restrict such things.) Great lease, fun group, etc. Spotted a nice buck the first morning and lined up to shoot it as it stepped out from behind a bush. Clicked off the safety in anticipation of the shot and "BANG!", the rifle fired and the deer headed for the next county. I checked it and couldn't find a problem. I thought that somehow I must have accidentally pulled the trigger. Then, a similar thing happened while I was on a shooting range. I had the gunsmith look it over and he said he found a small metal burr, but he couldn't make the safety cause it to fire. Next time I had it out hunting, the lease we had was split by a highway. It was lunch time and I was heading into camp. Since I had to cross the road, I went to unload the chamber. I sat down on a convenient tree stump with the rifle across my lap and clicked off the safety - with my hand no where near the trigger - and "Bang!" it went off and a bullet ricocheted off a tree about 3 feet away. (You can't open the Remington bolt while the safety is on - unlike the Winchester Model 70 and other rifles.) That rifle went in the closet. When I went through some hard times, I took it to a gun show and sold it. Later on, 60 Minutes did a piece about how Remington was refusing to acknowledge a known issue with the safety on their Model 700s.

They had massive issues with that. A few people died because of it. Lots of lawsuits.

I had mine reworked. New trigger, bedded, etc. it’s now an amazing rifle.

Haystack

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2021
    Edom, TX
    Several years back I was in the shower getting ready for work when my wife hollered there's a hog by the feeder. (We live way back in the woods and I had put a feeder about 40 yds from the house so we could watch deer from inside the house.) So I step out of the shower, towel off a little bit, grab my .270 and step out on the front porch. It was good daylight already and the hog saw me as soon as I went out on the porch.

Now our front porch is 55 feet wide with a hand rail around it. From where I stood, it was a good 25-30 feet to the edge of the porch and the hog was downhill from me. I took a few steps towards him and he just snapped his teeth at me. I pulled the gun up to my shoulder and looked at him through the scope, but the porch rail was between me and him. So I quickly took about 4 more steps towards him until the rail was below my crosshairs and fired off a shot.

I immediately saw some leaves shake on a tree limb that should have been above my line of sight, and the hog ran off. Yep, you guessed it. I nicked the top of the porch rail. Still has a nice groove in it right now.

Now mind you, I was dressed in my birthday suit, and somewhat still dripping, and in a hurry to get to work. My mistake was of course forgetting the the scope is about 2 inches above the barrel. But new visitors sometimes see the groove in the porch rail and my wife gets a chance to embarrass me again by telling the story. And just so you know, there is 1/4 mile of trees and a hill between our house and the road. My birthday suit was in no danger of making a public appearance.

Top Bottom