• robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    Now a days the "GAS DIRECT VENT" fireplaces are the way to go.
    Flip a wall switch & poof ... instant fire!!!!!!
    They are engineered with the gas valve, ignition, burner & logs. They are more heat efficient & energy efficient than a traditional natural draft wood burning type fireplace with gas assist.
    But, can it make your house smoky with a gusty North wind?
    Hurley's Gold

EZ-E

King Turd of Shit Mountain
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2017
    Middle of no where
    AND.... they have battery back-up when you have no power and its icing outside:)

Make sure to pull batteries out when done operating & power comes back.
    If you leave them in there the 3v transformer will try to charge batteries & leak acid all over the place.

Wood stove is much more efficient than a fireplace.

If I'm going to put the effort out to cut and split wood, it would be for a wood stove. Or my smoker and grill!

If you chopping wood, wood stove is the way to go for heat output.

kbaxter60

"Gig 'Em!"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2019
    Pipe Creek
    Wood stove is much more efficient than a fireplace.
    This is completely true. A standard fireplace drafts air out of your living space, drafting more air up the chimney on the way; it gets replaced with cold, outside air. Most standard fireplaces are actually negative efficiency for that reason. Wood stoves vent a little air, also, but tend to need much less and don't suck extra up the chimney. Some use outside air, too. We had a fireplace insert and it would almost heat our two-story home in the PNW. Loved it. It had an option to add a fan to circulate the heat and the seller said "it would be overkill". And it would have been. Glad we didn't add it. You could bake yourself out of the living room if you overdid it.
    Also, you could dial down the air intake and bank it for the night and there would usually be coals left in the morning to rekindle the fire. I kept it going for six or seven days straight more than once.

Last edited:

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    I used to think pools were great back home in Phoenix cause we went to the huge public pool in sunnyslope. Its was like a dime a day and you could get that on the way to the pool by fishing a few bottles out of the trash and turning them into the circle K. It was called UTOTEM back then, racist or insensitive name now I guess but that's a different story.

Anyways a friend got one and the neighhood was ready for a summer long party. Only one problem, it gets over a 120 in the direct sunlight in phoenix in the summer and after June the damn pool is too hot to swim in. The water is bath water hot.

Unless you have a huge pool with lots of underground piping to the pump that acts like a heat exchanger or other cooling methods it's just not refreshing anymore.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    I have been looking @ houses to see whats available once mine sells. I asked the wife what she thought about a fireplace & she said she's fine with that. Then I asked what she thought about one in the master bedroom? She said that sounded romantic. I told her as long as I could cook on it from bed sounded even better.

EZ-E

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2017
    Middle of no where
    Its all about house science & energy efficiency. If you dont care about utilities then a natural draft open front fireplace will make the house not very energy efficient. If your building a house with spray foam insulation or a "tight house" thats energy efficient then you want a sealed glass with sealed combustion flue system like a "gas direct vent" fireplace. If you build a tight house & try using a natural draft fireplace it will not work. If you burn realwood it will smoke back into the house after you suck the air out of the tight environment. Not to mention the negative pressures from a/c, cook top, dryer vent & fart fans. Most people think they will just put gas logs in & the problem goes away. But if the fireplace dont want to draft then you are only changing the poison coming into the home. You will now get carbon monoxide into the home from gas logs not wanting to draft.

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    Sometime this year, we taxpayers will likely receive another economic stimulus.
    It is indeed a very exciting program, and I’ll explain it by using a Q&A format:

Q: What is an Economic Stimulus?

A: It is money that the federal government will send to taxpayers.

Q: Where will the government get this money?

A: From taxpayers.

Q: Is the government simply giving me back my own money, then?

A: No, only a smidgen of it.

Q: What is the purpose of this payment?

A: The plan is for you to use the money to purchase a high definition television set, a new iPad, or a new SUV, thus stimulating the economy.

Q: Isn’t that stimulating the economy of China?

A: Shut up.

Below is some helpful advice on how to best help the U. S. Economy with your stimulus check. Use it wisely:

* If you spend the stimulus money at Walmart the money will go to China or Sri Lanka.

* if you spend it on gasoline, it money will go to the Arabs.

* if you purchase a computer, it goes to India, Taiwan or China.

* if you purchase fruits and vegetables, it will go to Mexico, Honduras, and Guatemala.

* if you buy an efficient car, it will go to Japan or Korea.

* if you purchase useless stuff, it goes to Taiwan.

* if you pay your credit card off, or buy stock, it will go to management bonuses and they will hide it offshore.

Instead, keep the money in North America by:

(1) Spending it at a yard sale or thrift shop, or

(2) Going to a ballgame, or

(3) Spending it on prostitutes, or

(4) Beer, or

(5) Tattoos

(These are the only American businesses still operating here.)

CONCLUSION: Go to a ballgame with a tattooed prostitute that you met at a yard sale and drink beer all day.

No need to thank me, I’m just glad I could be of help.

I found this and couldn't stop laughing.
    Glad I read it completely before I posted. Very funny.
    Casa de Hoji will not be getting any Trumpbux though.:(

EZ-E

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2017
    Middle of no where
    But, can it make your house smoky with a gusty North wind?

See if your chimney is above the ridge of the roof. Your chimney needs to be 2' taller than anything 10' around. If you have a steep pitch roof, your chimney could be too short. It sounds like you have a wind load situation going on.

House face north & chimney on south side of roof?

Fishkiller

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 22, 2019
    Frederickburg
    I have a fireplace and a pool

giphy.gif

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    We have a pool and a pond, pond would be good for you. (Caddyshack)

Attachments

• giphy.gif
      giphy.gif
      384.9 KB · Views: 352

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    In defense of in ground pools....our kids weren't big fans growing up BUT now the grand kids literally "wear the water out" throughout the season!!! Even the birthdays are always pool parties!! I will never complain about up keep because of their enjoyment!!

Kids are all grown, and no grandchildren yet, and the wife is the one that used the pool.

But I can see your reasons, and they are good ones.

Big Green

In Christ Alone
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 5, 2018
    College Station
    Its all about house science & energy efficiency. If you dont care about utilities then a natural draft open front fireplace will make the house not very energy efficient. If your building a house with spray foam insulation or a "tight house" thats energy efficient then you want a sealed glass with sealed combustion flue system like a "gas direct vent" fireplace. If you build a tight house & try using a natural draft fireplace it will not work. If you burn realwood it will smoke back into the house after you suck the air out of the tight environment. Not to mention the negative pressures from a/c, cook top, dryer vent & fart fans. Most people think they will just put gas logs in & the problem goes away. But if the fireplace dont want to draft then you are only changing the poison coming into the home. You will now get carbon monoxide into the home from gas logs not wanting to draft.
    Would having an air exchange system in the house help?

If not, how would you build an overall tight house and still have a wood fireplace in the winter? Accepting that you will lose some to the presence of the fireplace.

EZ-E

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2017
    Middle of no where
    Would having an air exchange system in the house help?

If not, how would you build an overall tight house and still have a wood fireplace in the winter? Accepting that you will lose some to the presence of the fireplace.

If your a/c guy can figure out the math of cfm all the products pull, for negative pressure in the home & adjust for the positive pressure the fireplace needs a air exchanger might work. There is a company called Inervex that makes power vented chimney caps... about $2k. Most people have to end up having one of those installed.

That also defeats the purpose of building a tight house. You spend extra money to make it energy efficient, then go punching holes to the outside.

If you want to burn wood you need a gasketed door type fireplace... ones similarly built to a wood stove.... or a wood stove. Theres a few manufacturers out there that make them. You could also use a insert in an existing fireplace. For new construction or remodel you could use a product constructed like this one.
    https://www.heatilator.com/products/constitution-wood-fireplace

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    My son is a college student and he works in the summer and usually makes about $5k a year because he is also an intern during the school year for our youth dept and gets a few hundred a month from that job

The college he goes to shut down and went online and thus closed the cafeteria that we already Prepaid for his meals.. so no food on campus and no in person classes so he moved back in with us to keep from buying all his food which had already been prepaid for until this.

So he is renting an apartment he isn’t living in and can’t get out of the lease(already ask) and he just got laid off from the intern job because of the virus and that was the money he was basically paying rent with.

So I said all of that to say this.

He doesn’t get shit for stimulus because he was claimed under us last year, and I ain’t getting shit for stimulus because apparently I make too much and I am looking at a fairly large cut in pay over the next 6 months.

So would anyone like to guess how I feel about this?

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Diablo4151
    Top Bottom