Patriot Mobile

What's The Strangest Thing You Have Ever Found In The Woods or Wilds?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • orbitup

Sticker Cop
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 6, 2010
    Waxyscratchy
    Way back in the 1960's:

There was a public Golf course in Dallas that was split by a major road, 9 holes on each side of the road. It was summer and a Sunday morn about 7 am when me and my buddy are woken up by some guys saying: If you 2 guys don't mind, could you move your car, we would like to play this hole. I look up to see a flag with a 7 on it. I say sure, fire up my Corvette and look around seeing the road and head toward it.
    Probably find that in a golf forum in a thread titled "Intrresting Things You've Found On A Golf Course".

RevolverGuy

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 8, 2013
    Graves of a mother and infant who died of typhoid in 1870 on a Jack County ranch. They had been part of a wagon train.

One year later the Warren Wagon Train Massacre took place just a few miles away.

The body of what I think was a 1936 Pontiac. I remember pulling the Indian hood ornament off and think my hunting buddy ended up with it.

The skull & antlers of an 8-point Buck in velvet, which my brother somehow ended up with.

Man, I gotta quit letting people rip me off.

busykngt

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    McKinney
    Graves of a mother and infant who died of typhoid in 1870 on a Jack County ranch. They had been part of a wagon train.

I know of two houses in Central Texas where this kind of situation exists. One just outside of Temple and the other outside of Austin. The Austin property was for sale when I looked at it. This was many years ago but as best I recall, it was the grave of a woman (in their front yard) who had died while in a wagon train traveling across, what was then open prairie land and they had buried her there, where she had died. The Temple grave was also in some guy’s front yard, close to his mailbox. Grave of a man who had died while traveling to a pioneer fort/stockade in the area, that had long since disintegrated. (Story as told by the present day home owner). I don’t recall the exact dates, but 1840s - 1850s come to mind.

karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    First time I went deer hunting, age of 8, in Halletsville, TX.
    Made to climb high up in a tree blind, in the dark.
    At sunrise there I was, all by myself, all kind of weird noises going on, and smack in the middle of an ancient graveyard.

That was the day I learned just how much carrying could be a comfort ... even it was only a single shot .22.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    First time I went deer hunting, age of 8, in Halletsville, TX.
    Made to climb high up in a tree blind, in the dark.
    At sunrise there I was, all by myself, all kind of weird noises going on, and smack in the middle of an ancient graveyard.

That was the day I learned just how much carrying could be a comfort ... even it was only a single shot .22.

You were deer hunting with a. 22?

karlac

TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    You were deer hunting with a. 22?

Absolutely not uncommon in those days (1950) to hunt deer with a .22, particularly in the heavy brush in that part of the country. It was usually what a kid was armed with for their first few hunts, with the instructions to only take a close range head shot.

Didn't get my first deer until the next year, at age of 9, on the same lease, with the same rifle, from the same tree, with a head shot at about 10 yards, almost straight down.

At that age I could bark a squirrel out of a tree without a gunshot wound, it was no trick to shoot a white tail deer in the head.

karlac

TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    Yeah, I got my first at 8 with a .22(2).

LOL Can't count the number of deer I later took with a .218 Bee as a youngster. Traded off between that, when my Dad wasn't hunting because it was his, and my 20 ga Rem Model 11 with rifle slugs.

That soon after WWII, the overriding idea was meat in the family pot, the cheapest way possible.

spuds015

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 28, 2016
    I've never been hunting but plenty of dirtbikes and random exploring in the woods out in CA. I have found a few random graves yards with multiple graves from back in the gold rush days. The weirdest thing was what I can only think was an old fallout bunker. We were about 30 minutes east of Sacramento heading up 50 towards NV. We were exploring the woods just outside of the suburbs and we found a large rusty steel door about 10 ft tall and the rest of the structure was burried in the hillside with a large burm on each side of the entrance. We didn't go in for fear of running into some bum or junkie. From what we could see it was very big inside. I kinda want to go back and check it out again.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J727A using Tapatalk

Top Bottom